Earliest time to book a return flight?

Square

I need some help. I'm going on a cruise in Jan 2006 from Miami. This is my second cruise, but the first time I am booking the flight. We are staying the night before in Miami so that is not a big problem. I need to know how long it will probably take to get from the ship to the airport in miami. The ship shows in port at 8AM and my TA says that the Carnival people told her that we will be off the ship by 10AM that Sunday. I can save some real money if I can book on an available return flight at 11:47 that sunday. I would like to think that I can get from the port to the airport within 30 - 45 minutes and still be an hour early for our return flight. I am just a bit nervous since it would be my own fault if it doesn't work out. Any help is appreciated. I can't remember too much about debarkation times from my previous cruse (too many drinks with umbrellas maybe :confused: ).

Thanks,

Square

Disembarking from Navigator in Jan 03, my friend missed her 12:15 flight. INS and Customs didn't send enough people and the computers had been down 4 times. Miami airport as you may know, can be a madhouse and travel is up on all airlines. I would allow 1.5 hours for checkin and security after you get to the airport.

If you are flying American airlines, you can check in right at port of Miami and they will transport your bags to the airport. It was a great timesaver. We had a noon flight, got off the boat by 8:30 and was at the airport by 9 am ! No problems, but I was worried that I would miss a noon flight. Last year we had a 12:50 flight and again were there at least 2 hour ahead of time. I would say go for the 11:45 flight.

Our ship is set to be in Miami at 9........I booked a 2:10 flight home. If we get to the airport sooner, is it possible to trade our flight to an earlier one?

And mu1809.......is checking our bags in at the port reliable and something I can trust? We're flying AA.

After noon is usually safe. The crusie usually asks you to register if you have an earlier than noon flight and they let you off first but they don't like it. I try for a flight between noon and 2:00, have never missed one in 6 + cruises. Of course custons being late is beyond their control but it's rare. I have never gotten off later than 10:00. THye like to get ready for the next cruise as people start coming at noon or so.

Hmm...interesting. Thank you all for your help. There is one for another 50 bucks that leaves around 1 something. I could probably book that and be safe, but I might take the money in hand and risk it anyways. I know 50 bucks isnt a big deal, but we are driving about 3 hours from our hometown anyways to fly out of KC. I would like to get back at a decent time so I'm not late night driving home from the airport. Who would I tell on the ship to request an early departure? The pursers desk?

Thanks again.

Hmm...interesting. Thank you all for your help. There is one for another 50 bucks that leaves around 1 something. I could probably book that and be safe, but I might take the money in hand and risk it anyways. I know 50 bucks isnt a big deal, but we are driving about 3 hours from our hometown anyways to fly out of KC. I would like to get back at a decent time so I'm not late night driving home from the airport. Who would I tell on the ship to request an early departure? The pursers desk?

Thanks again.

I wouldn't even think about spending the extra $50.00 for the flight. IF you miss your flight, it will cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $100.00 for the change fee. You may also have to pay any increase in fare, which on day of departure could be a LOT of money. Yes, you will PROBABLY make it on the 11:47 flight. But if you don't, it could cost a lot more than $50.00. How much of a gambler are you????

If you don't want to drive home late, spend the night at one of the cheapo hotels near the KC airport (Motel 6 is right around the corner), get up early and drive home. We have a farm in northern Missouri, so know the feeling about that late drive home.

Archived