Coral Princess photo and video review

Bimmer09

Thanks for the fabulous pictures and video of the Misty Fjord flight. And, what a nice job Michelle has.;)

.....my head was filled with images of the Sapphire Princess....those aft cabins, what appeared to be a long panoramic bar tucked behind the funnel and a Promenade deck that went right up to the bow of the ship with a roof over it....I wanted to sail on a ship just like the Sapphire.

Me, too!

.... I saw a familiar sight...the Cornelia Marie crab boat from Deadliest Catch, one of our favorite tv programs. So small, yet it sails through furious seas in the dead of winter. R.I.P Captain Phil Harris.

What?, no picture of the Cornelia Marie?? :(

One of my favorite shows as well. And ditto, RIP Captain Phil.

Norris, thanks again for sharing your wonderful trip!

I'm thoroughly enjoying your report. Your pictures are amazing. We went with Michelle (Island Wings) back in 2003. Our weather was just like yours. When we took off she said, "We're not going to Misty Fjords, today we are going to Sunny Fjords!"

We are considering Alaska again next summer. In 2003 we took our 3 kids + our niece. Our excursions were somewhat limited since everything we did was multiplied x 6. ($$$)

Thank you again for sharing.:)

Thanks for the fabulous pictures and video of the Misty Fjord flight. And, what a nice job Michelle has.;)

Me, too!

No photos of Cornelia Marie as I was shooting video on the way into Ketchikan.

So I have her on video.

Norris

It's not often that I've had a photo opportunity where I couldn't put the camera or camcorder down for a minute-hence the deluge of eye-candy pictures.

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

The tiny white shapes bottom left of photo are goats.

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

Coming up tomorrow (day off); aerial shots of the ships in port as we came back to land next to the Coral, Saxman village totem poles. Sanctuary in the sun and followed later by scenic sail past British Columbia( full sea day) and lots of Coral Princess photos and videos. Then Vancouver and Butchart gardens.

Maybe another week's work.

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
Add text

Cornelia Marie video

Back on the Coral after the Misty Fjords flight I would have been fine just staying put and enjoying the Sanctuary which we had to ourselves. It was sunny, no wind-perfect but for the sound of sea planes taking off from the water frequently.

Carol, however wanted to see some Totem Poles up close and personal and so she persuaded me to get back off the ship and take a taxi to Saxman,a few miles down the coast.

We didn't have to wait long for a minibus taxi to pull in to the taxi-turnaround just off the ship. The lady drove us to Saxman and offered to wait for us for 30 minutes (for $30) but we declined as there were plenty of taxis coming and going and I am sure many of them weren't littered with Burger King wrappers and empty Big Gulp cups as her cab was. Clean cabs rule. The 3 mile trip was $16 including tip-big city pricing.

Here I am, off to see some totem poles.

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

There was a tour group with a guide narrating so Carol got closer so she could hear the commentary while I did the opposite. The Princess tour was $59.

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

After shopping for fridge magnets (we do that everywhere we go) we got another taxi back to the ship.

There are some photos that I somehow skipped in my commentary. The following shots were taken during the approach to the port and at that time there were early morning mists hanging over the town. They cleared rapidly as we approached and gave way to the sun who was going to claim the day and warm us up, reaching 75 deg.F.

To me it is the prettiest port I have seen along the route and one I hope to get to know better as the years go by.

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1678-PANO.jpg

IMG_1681.JPG

Ok...now back to the Coral after our Saxman trip. I should say that although totem poles don't excite me it was a very pleasant place to visit in a beautiful setting. Worth seeing once.

Our floating hotel, one we were very happy with...

IMG_1701.JPG

Our cabin....2 decks below the bridge and 3rd balcony to the right.

IMG_1702.JPG

Now we were returning to the Coral and would not get off again until Saturday morning in Vancouver.

On board, with the ship sparsely populated as most were ashore I discovered the Neptune Grill for the first time. Yep- we had been aboard since Saturday and now on Thursday afternoon I smelled burgers and fries sizzling and my nose alerted my stomach and the stomach sent a signal to my feet and off they went. I had no choice but to follow. I am British and of course every home there has a deep-fryer (known as a chip pan) and soon after learning to talk and more importantly-to listen- my mom taught me how to peel and "chip" potatoes and how best to cook them so I have been making amazing crispy crunchy tasty "fries" ever since I was young enough to dial the nearest Burns Unit by myself.

I love this grill. They even have malt vinegar and HP sauce!! How British.

Once we sat down to enjoy this welcome meal a bar waiter came over and took my order for beer. Carol had a cocktail or a milk shake using her UKP card.

Burger and fries, piping hot and tasty. Beer. Sun. Ketchikan. A dazzling ship!

All these elements came together in a moment of sheer pleasure. At that moment there was nowhere else in the world I would rather have been than right there, stuffing my cheeks like a squirrel in my garden in Michigan.

Only one thing was missing...a nap in the Sanctuary!!

So, off we went to do just that.