Seway excursion

lukydog

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did the segway tour a week ago when we were in Grand Turk. Loved it!! It was a group of 12 of us, and there were 2 instructors (DJ and Rodney).

We were taken to their base and that was where we learned how to use the segway. We each got about 10 minutes of 1 on 1 time with an instructor -- they made sure we were comfortable on it, going forwards, backwards, doing figure 8s, stopping, and going over bumps, and that we knew what we were doing before we went out into the street.

When we did go out into the street, the first one we were on was a one way street, which was nice -- other vehicles were coming from only one direction! It wasn't a busy road either, so we had a chance to get comfortable being out in the open.

We travelled in single file, with Rodney at the front and DJ bringing up the rear. Stopped partway along, at a beach, so we could enjoy the scenery, try the segway on sand if we wanted to, have some water, and flex out our feet. And then we headed out again.

When we were crossing busier roads, DJ scooted out onto the road like a crossing guard, to stop the traffic for us. And then he fell back in line at the end.

While we were scooting along on the segways, Rodney was our tour guide, pointing out interesting buildings and landmarks. We had headsets, so we all heard him just fine.

The tour itself was shorter than I would have liked -- I was having a lot of fun! That being said, Cockburn Town is pretty small -- population of about 3500 -- so you have to expect it's not going to be a really long tour. They also had another tour group coming in just as we got back.

I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and would love to do it again! And if I could think of a use for a segway for myself, I'd probably look into buying one!

Oh, the excursion ticket that I got from HAL said to wear closed toe shoes. There was no mention of that on the HAL excursion description online, so I didn't have any closed toe shoes with me -- wore sports sandals instead, and that worked out fine!

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder if it's only available as a Carnival excursion when Carnival ship's are in port?

I looked into this, and it is only available through cruise ships when the cruise ships are in port. Other times, it is open to the public. That explains the $100 pp price that Carnival is charging. Most Segway companies usually charge about $80.

But besides the price, I bet it is fun. I've done Segways in other ports and have never been disappointed.