Oahu - Northeast side Restaurants...Need a good list...

Ruth

Will be driving around the island of Oahu one day....We are renting a car...Need a place to stop for lunch and one for dinner....Plan to drive from Waikiki Beach North on Hwy 99 or H2 to Halehve to the north tip then to Kahuku then south to the southern most tip of the island and then to Diamond Head....then back to the Hotel on Waikiki Beach....

So we will stop for lunch and then a early dinner...suggestions are appreciated

A couple of old posts may have some good ideas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=116843&highlight=kua+aina

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=79310&highlight=kua+aina

If it was me, I'd plan for starting around 11 am or so. Drive up to Haleiwa on H2 and have a burger at Kua Aina. Then follow Kamehameha Highway down the North Shore and watch the waves (assuming it's winter). Follow all the way down through Kaneohe, Kailua and make your way through Waimanalo, past Sea Life Park, and follow the southeast coastline past Sandy Beach, the Blowhole until you get to Hawaii Kai. I'd probably shoot for early dinner downstairs at Roy's Restaurant http://www.roysrestaurant.com/docs/index.html given your location at that time ... and it should probably be close to early dinner time by then, assuming you've been taking your time, getting out of the car, and checking things out as you've been going along. The bar downstairs offers the same menu as the restaurant upstairs and it's a little more casual so you don't have to worry about having to dress up (though I'd at least brush the sand off your feet before going). Depends on what kind of food you like, though.

Spleen

Places I like on the Windard Side:

Buzz's Steakhouse - steak, local fresh fish

Yin Yin Chinese - chinese

Kin Wah Chinese - chinese

Los Garcias - mexican

Koa House - breakfast

Pinky's - pupus and more

Assagios - italian

Haleiwa Joes (Haiku)- steak, local fresh fish

I'm not advertizing any of these places, but I've eaten at them many times and keep going back because the food is good. :cool:

Yeah, that's a very good one for breakfast, with their macadamia nut syrup for pancakes and their fried rice. Ymmmmm !!! You know it's good when there's 20 people outside waiting to get in. I wish they'd expand. Maybe take over the bowling alley. :cool:

Places I like on the Windard Side:

Buzz's Steakhouse - steak, local fresh fish

Yin Yin Chinese - chinese

Kin Wah Chinese - chinese

Los Garcias - mexican

Koa House - breakfast

Pinky's - pupus and more

Assagios - italian

Haleiwa Joes (Haiku)- steak, local fresh fish

I'm not advertizing any of these places, but I've eaten at them many times and keep going back because the food is good. :cool:

Thanks for the List.....Happy Sailing....

Giovanni's Shrimp Truck

I have read a bit about this place...I did find a picture of this place on the internet....It is in a Old Truck....Could be interesting....However, I read the food was good...maybe a interesting place for lunch.

Is it on the main Hwy? Who knows?.....Will we see it driving by?....

I almost forgot......

Agnes Portuguese Bake Shop in Kailua Town.

Yummy pastries, Portuguese sweet bread (ask them to slice you a loaf), possibly the best donuts in the world (substantial, not airy), and their famous double jump chocolate cake. They also have these hot dogs wrapped in sweet bread called Sweet Dogs. Good for taking on the road for a quick snack. :cool:

Ruth - Giovanni's will be pretty obvious. Driving on Kamehameha Highway (the main route around the North Shore) through Kahuku - it'll be on the makai side of the road (sea side of the road - as opposed to the mauka side which would be the mountain side). Look for a white truck with graffiti painted all over it. There are a couple of shrimp trucks these days so don't get confused (though honestly, the food is pretty good at all of them).

http://onokinegrindz.*****.com/ono_kine_grindz/2004/05/giovannis_shrim.html

Spleen

Archived