Need advice: Western Caribbean/ Legend of the Seas

We are considering a Western Caribbean cruise (Tampa, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel) next winter on Legend of the Seas, and we would greatly appreciate any comments/advice on this cruise, as well as this ship.

We are changing from Princess (Sea, Dawn and Golden) since their Caribbean ports of call, food and entertainment haven’t changed much over the last three years.

Thanks!

Nisky

Nisky,

We just did this cruise in February but on a different ship. It was our first cruise so I really have nothing to compare to but we enjoyed all of the stops on this cruise. In the Caymans we shopped and snokeled with the stingrays. My daughter loved this but my son who is 12 was not happy with all the stingrays swimming around him and chose to get back on the boat. In Costa Maya we did a dune buggy excursion through RCCL. Costa Maya isn't a developed area at this time. There is a shopping area with a pool and beach right by the dock and there is also a little village Majahal (spelling?) that you can go to. We loved the Dune Buggy excursion. Belize is the one stop I would recommend having an excursion booked because it has a gated shopping area and not much is outside of that. We did the cave tubing and it was by far our favorite excursion. In Cozumel we did a day at Paradise Beach and just kicked back and relaxed. My mom and brother snorkeled in Belize and they loved that. If you have any more questions please let me know!

Andrea

We just did the western route in May out of Miami. We could not have had a better time! Stingray city in Grand Cayman is a must. We used Capt. Bryans and they were great. It included 2 snorkle stops and the stingray sandbar. Belize was our least favorite. We did a tour to Altun Ha Mayan ruins. The transportation was not good ( crowded van with little to no AC) we were glad to see the ruins although they are small compared to some of the other sites. We had our kids 8 & 10 with us and didn't think they would be up for a long ride to some of the other sites. We heard good things about the cave tubing there. Costa Maya was a good day. We stayed right at the pier. We enjoyed the pool, some of the shows they had on a stage right next to the pool and the small beach(rocky) area. They have a good restaurant right at the pool and we had some great fish tacos. In Cozumel we did the dune buggy tour. Another fun day. This excursion was a little expensive. It included one snorkle spot which was not very good (right off the road) but the rest of the day was good. Drove around the island, stopped at a beach, swam, had lunch. On the way back to the ship we snorkled at a little beach area right by pier next to Senor Frogs 1/2. The kids loved this. Sea days were relaxing, never had a problem getting a chair, the kids loved the kids club. Everything about our trip was great! You will have an amazing vacation:)

Thanks for the info! How did you find the days at sea? Enough access to deck chairs and the pools? Did you have warm weather?

Thanks

nisky

Nisky,

When we went in Febraury - Sunday our first day at sea was a little bit cool - but Tampa was a little cool when we left the area - it was also a little windy. When we were at sea on Friday it was so windy and rough that you could barely even walk on the top decks and nobody was sitting in the deck. I don' t know if that is normal for that time of year or not. Since this was our first time cruising my husband insisted that we book all of our excursions with RCCL - when we stopped in Caymans our first stop RCCL had actual cancelled our stingray excursion because of rough seas - so we tendered in and caught a private excursion and it was worth it! Any more questions let me know!!

Andrea

Thanks again. We are hoping that February weather will be warm enough to swim and hang out on the beach (as it has been in the southern Caribbean). Were you happy overall with the weather?

Were there plenty of things to do on the ship during the two sea days?

We are planning the early dinner seating. Do you have any experience or advice on this?

nisky

We were on a Cruise and stopped in Belize. We did it with Reggie

from http://www.regtour.com

I had over 25 people from our group on that tour. Reggie is awesome.

Not only does he get you there and back with plenty of time to go shopping before you head back to your boat, but he takes very good care of you.

My husband is severely hearing impaired (born this way) He wears 2 hearing aids and is somewhat afraid of the water. However, at any waterpark when we take the kids or if our Resort offers it, he lives in a tube, floating away and drinking his favorite drinks. He just will not get his face or head wet or go swimming.

So I felt that this Cave tubing would be a great experience for him. He had a wonderful experience. DH was extremely nervous, but Reggie personally took care of my husband. Made sure he was fine through the whole trip through the walk in the jungle to the River and made sure he was with him at all times down the River. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this man. He is very serious about his business and will do excellent for you and your family.

He took his time speaking to my husband and made sure he could read lips and communicate.

In all of our travels, except for one Tour guide my company hires for our twice a year trips, no one has ever taken such care & communication with my husband.

So would I highly recommend Reggie and Reggie's Tours. Yes. You can have full confidence in him. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the Cruise Company! :rolleyes:

Archived