!!! BREAKAWAY !!! To Bermuda ^_^ Our Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Just so you know NCL sells that tour for $80, and we paid $65 in that little place. It is the same sailing boat as the NCL excursion. So you have the guarantee that the cruise ship wont leave without you because all the people that booked through NCL are still there with you.

DSC08718_zps32343558.jpg

GREAT point!! I'll have to remember that! The ships have aways sold me by saying the boat wouldn't wait for me unless I purchased through them. My hubby will insist we just buy through NCL but, our family of 4 would save $60 on this same tour by doing what you did.

Will NCL tell you how many people are booked on a specific tour so you're sure there will be others to guarantee the boat will wait if there's a delay in the tour?

Since we will be on the FL and Bahamas itinerary, I priced out the Disney World excursion. It's WAY to expensive but I'm wondering if we can purchase that one cheaper. I'll have to wait for the fall sailings!

As always, I'm LOVING your review....just WAY behind.

Ok one more comment about the whole Peter Max thing he probably got his cruise for free, I mean really he couldn't say hello, rude. Hi Gambee

And I agree with that...... it costs nothing to be polite no matter who or where you are! And what a great story that would have been for Gambe's review. And we might all like him as a result!

I suppose if I ever saw him, I would stand within earshot of him and say to my hubby (a little loud), "Doesn't this ship look like it was painted by a 7 year old?"

MEOW!!!:D:D:D He had no idea that he was in the presence of the GREAT GAMBEE (but now we all do). Gambee, you did the right thing by not stooping to his level, IMHO and stomping off.

He didn't have to invite The Gambee back to his suite for drinks but he should have been polite and showed some class, especially since he was getting paid a compliment .

IMO I would not have him paint the underside of my car, lucky for me he would not want to do it as his signature wouldn't fit.

His signature is as big as his ego. :D

Gambee, once again thank for your magnificent review I have enjoyed every word as well as every beautiful photo, I will be on Breakaway on August 4th, only sad thing is that I will be cruising alone for the first time and not sure if I will be brave enough to go to all the places I want to visit on my own. And you have made me want to see everything Bermuda has to offer. Thank you so much.

Margie

Edited by sapphire2810

A little side story here, I absolutely love motorcycles, but I have grown to respect them a lot after two near death experiences. I used to have a Suzuki 500 for a long time and never had an accident. But when I sold that one and bought the GSXR 750, is when I starting messing up. What can I say, I was young and stupid. Both accidents were very bad, in the first one the helmet cracked in half, and I lost most of my back with road rash. I am very lucky that I have few scars.

The second one could of been really bad, the only reason I did not suffer so many injuries were because I had a full racing suit. Most of the suit was damaged and on a few pressure point it ate through the suit until I got road rash. I lost my shoes and never found them and injured my foot after a Lexus went over it. Actually it took us like 10 minutes to find the bike that time, she had kept on going.

Let it be said, that I paid dearly on both accidents, Not only financially, but even emotionally. I think having my back washed every day is possibly the painful event in my life EVER! And for the record, I think I have broken just about every bone in my body (I used to skateboard as a child). So trust me, I know pain...

So like I said, while I love bikes, now I have total respect for them. I am not sure if I will ever touch one again, but I like say that I wont.

Even my Ex-bf had to get air lifted once from I-95, bikes are just too dangerous, and even more so in South Florida.

I hear you. We had a Harley for a while but we live in rural Wisconsin so face a different kind of danger...DEER.

One Harley v. Deer incident was enough for me. Bike only had minor damage but we sold it. We both had helmets, leather jackets and jeans and I was wearing boots. The EMTs and Docs kept praising us for wearing proper gear. No broken bones for me but experienced road rash in several places. Very painful when cleaning the wounds and showering. It is amazing how the body heals itself...only minor scarring for me too. Riding was fun but too many variables you can't control.

Finally caught up in this review, can't wait to read the rest! I've read all of your reviews. Best review I've ever read on CC! Excited to read your Carnival Breeze cruise review in August. It will get me pumped for our cruise in November. Thanks for all your hard work on this!

Gambee ... thank you for taking me along on the Breakaway!! I just finished Day 1 .... great job as always & you do a fantastic job with the pictures plus your descriptions.

My boss is on the Breakaway right now ... Hoping I'll finish the review (at least a good portion of it) before the boss returns.

Gambee, once again thank for your magnificent review I have enjoyed every word as well as every beautiful photo, I will be on Breakaway on August 4th, only sad thing is that I will be cruising alone for the first time and not sure if I will be brave enough to go to all the places I want to visit on my own. And you have made me want to see everything Bermuda has to offer. Thank you so much.

Margie

Margie, I know this is Gambee's thread and I don't want to hijack, but I just want to say that cruising solo can be great! I've met great friends and enjoyed everything I wanted to enjoy...and it sounds like of all ports to be walking around in, Bermuda is THE one for us! You will have a fantastic time!

:)

Gambee,

Great review! I finally caught up! Thank you for posting such amazing details through your photos. We will be sailing on the Getaway next May and its great to see an idea of what we have in store with the Breakaway!

Thanks again,

Mitch

Hey Gambee, great review and pictures as always. We were in FLL over Memorial day weekend at the Riverside Hotel. I looked at everyone in a hat and said "I wonder if that is Gambee?". Drove my friends crazy!!! You are a star, my friend, complete with stalkers!!! Haha. Can't wait for your next review. I love how you are trying several different lines. Keep up the good work.

OMG Gambee, those pictures of Horseshoe Bay are INCREDIBLE! :eek::D I want to be there right now!! Seriously though, some of the best pictures of the ocean/beach I've seen in a long time.

So sad we are already ending Day 5, nooooo!

I know we are getting close to the end, I think by the end of the weekend I should be finished. Thank you for the compliment, I am really excited about my new camera. It came in Wednesday I can't wait to play with it. The underwater one.

Was wondering how many folks slip or fall while climbing the rocks. Perhaps some of the "road rash" victims are not scooter related?

I've been thinking about renting a scooter to get around as I can't walk for long periods of time. Rode Harley's until a recent surgery. Laughed thinking that I might get in a wreck while in Bermuda. :eek: Then again, a little common sense goes a long way.

You just never know, people there drive in the different side of the road, and really fast. The accident might come your way, and it might not even be your fault. Just my opinion I guess, I think I much rather use their public transport system.

Gambee, just have to add my thanks. I absolutely LOVED the pics from inside the cave. I would have to enlarge and print that if it were mine!

Thank you, I think mom is planning to enlarge a couple. I have never been a fan of print pictures, all of my gallery rotates on the desktop of my computer. That way I always get to remember all the good times :)

The original angry birds!

:D:D:D

I have been to that beach and climbed that rock cliff. I always marvelled how something like that would never exist in the US. No handrail, no fencing near the edges, no handicap accessabilty...no trial lawyer at the bottom ;). Seriously...if you ever fell off that thing, you'd need a hospital or morgue! Be very careful when climbing.

That was my thought, it is very much like in Colombia. There are all kind of cool places that you go and climb, without having to worry that someone will come and tell you to stop doing that. The US tends to suck the fun of a lot places, then again they have to be careful of lawsuits :-/.

Gambee, Gambee, Gambee, you certainly outdid yourself today with those pics from Horseshoe Bay. Or it should be called Unbrella Bay. I don't think I ever saw so many umbrellas on that beach before. But, sure added to the coloring in the pictures. Of course did not outdo the pictures of that beautiful water. I agree, it has to be the most beautiful beach I have ever seen.

I loved the pictures of the longtail birds too. They are just too cute. Except for the one that tried to attack you. I love watching birds, even in my back yard.

Although I really miss not being able to be there this week, this is certainly the next best thing. Thank you so much. Your review came just in time for me.

You really need a career change. You need to have those pictures published in some travel magazines. Just awesome. Love those night time pictures too.

Thanks again,

Gwen :)

Thank you once again for your kind words :), I have a few more fun pictures and videos to share as this review comes close to the end.

Friend of mine went on the MSC to Bermuda a few months ago. It's an Italian based ship and she didn't like the variety of food at all, but if you like pasta you'll be OK. She said the meat was horrible. But she did like Bermuda!

There are certainly a lot of complains with MSC, I think most of them are about the food and service. But their ships are stunning, the decor is just out of this world. I think I might just have to try them one day.

The long tails nest in the cliffs so you may have inadvertently come too close to one of them, hence the attack. They can be pretty protective over their domains. The photos are beautiful though - the Bermuda Dept of Tourism needs to pay you for the free promotion of Bermuda.

That was my guess, they were just probably defending their home. You know there are a lot of Bermuda reviews out there, but I think this might be the first one with so many details about the island. I tried to look for one like this one, but could not find one. Hopefully this review will help many people from now on.

Gambee, thank you again for all your work!

Can I please ask you approximately what time did you get to Horseshoe Bay Beach?

Thank you very much.

We got there at 10:05am, it is nice having times on the pictures :D.

Hi again!

qvenedandan ~ yes you can use tokens on the bus too. We bought a couple & used them when we took the bus back from the Sea Glass beach. I think you save by buying them rather than using coins.

Gambee ~ LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those beautiful beach pictures & the Longtails!!

I never wanted to go to Bermuda until I read Radio's review & am so glad I did. It's so lovely with the beautiful blue water, pink sand beaches, pastel houses & clean white roofs!

Did you go to the museum, beach & Dolphinarium right there at the Dockyard?

Looking forward to your Breeze review in a couple of months. You might just get me booking that as I really liked Carnival (Dream).

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi Jo,

No, we never got to go there. I had originally planned for it, but unfortunately we did not. There is just not enough time to do everything you want to do, maybe next time. We did however walked by, it. That will be my next set of pictures.

We will see about Carnival, most of the people I talk to tried telling not to do it. However, I think the line might be a good fit for me. We will have to wait and see.

OMG Bermuda can't come soon enough. Gambee, it's like we are there with you.

Thank you a million times. Even though I'm on the summitt( loved seeing her too), I have an idea of what to see and how to take it all in.:)

You're so very welcome, glad you like it.

It really does floor me that NCL has gone back to the single line, two-sided buffet rather than the islands. This feels like they're going backward in that respect, as opposed to forward. Nevertheless, I will eat there and love it anyway! I've always liked NCL's choices of ethnic foods in the buffet, though I will need to plan for patience with this old school format. :( Thanks for the pics!

Yeah that Buffet is certainly a step backwards. It really puzzles me why they did it that way.

Also, wanted you to know that we used your pictures to compare my brand new iPad mini with the iPad 2 to see if the naked eye could really see the difference. Yep, we can! Beautiful pictures!

I guess my mom should really wait for the iPad mini 2, she really wants the smaller one.

Agreed. I like the way the buffet is set up on Solstice class ships (nice for a buffet at any rate)!

Tom

But even in the S ships, you see lines forming in the burger station. Although I agree it is a much better setup.

]

I fully expected the answer as its a very small group of us who would be interested.I truly thank you for all that you've posted. Im a visual kinda guy and seeing the pics makes realize I must book soon.

Glad you like the pics :)

Hi Gambee hun even though you didn't realize it or maybe you did, you have great shots of my 9th floor s7 suite forward thank you. Do you know what is right under the 9th floor forward? What are the lights for above all the ropes? BTW I bring my own snorkel gear too, yech using the rentals lol

I am not sure what is there. In the bow there is space I am guessing for the crew. I always try using my own, but some tours offer much better gear. On the sailing excursion I used theirs. Although maybe that has to do with the fact that I forgot mine, lol.

Gambee -- what a great review! I know you did not rent chairs or an umbrella, but maybe you can help clear something up.

The sign talks about "returning" the items you rent --- that sounds like you have to carry the chairs and the umbrella to a spot on the beach, and then carry them back. Is that correct? I am used to places that set up the chairs/umbrella where you want them and then take them away when you are done..

Thanks,

Brad

That is correct, you have to bring them back to get your deposit back. No one there will do it for you, it is a different system I guess.

Gambee: I totally agree with everything you've written so far about Bermuda. It's my favorite island, and I've been on a lot of cruises. Bermuda is just lovely, clean, not tacky. I love to ride scooters there, and explore brand-new beaches. Been there five times, I could go back there 50 more times. Serene and extraordinary: I remember riding a scooter one time at dusk from the beach back to the ship through a canopy of trees with chirping singing tree frogs, it was a great life moment. When I win the Powerball, that's where I'll be!

I also agree with the previous poster who noted that it's starting to get sad that your review is coming to an end. Such a convincing virtual vacation, that the virtual end of it is depressing! Can't wait to go.

We really can't wait to go back to Bermuda, I am really curious about the prices of Quantum once it starts heading to Bermuda.

All good things must come to an end :-/. Life is not fair right?