Bahamas People to People Program

rrraydon

Thanks for posting your review, Michellehs. Glad you had such a good experience. It made me even more excited to go to the Bahamas this winter, and hopefully get linked up with someone from People to People.

I've got my thinking cap on for what goodies I can bring from my home state as a gift to my future host(ess).

That sounds like a great time. I would love to know more about a place than the typical tourist stops. I hope mores chime in on their experiences. ...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Thanks for posting your review, Michellehs. Glad you had such a good experience. It made me even more excited to go to the Bahamas this winter, and hopefully get linked up with someone from People to People.

I've got my thinking cap on for what goodies I can bring from my home state as a gift to my future host(ess).

I'm happy to share my experience and I hope you have a great one as well! I really can't say enough good stuff about this program!

• 2 weeks later...
Don't be worried. You will have the opportunity to talk to your host and discuss what your interests are. Like meeting a friend. Not hiring a driver.

I think you'll do fine. As for a gift.. it depends on where you live and who your guide is. (and your interest). Maybe something cultural or historical from your neck of the woods. A cookbook, spices, History of your local.

I was once given a book of totem poles from a group visiting from northern plains. Still on my coffee table.

Do you live in the Bahamas? And are you part of this program?

Yes, I live in the bahamas and Yes, I have in the past been a part of this program. I don't anymore, but friends of mine are still involved.

That's great! Maybe you can give me some insight then. I would love to visit more charitable like organizations. Orphanage, animal shelter, hospital, something like that. Do you have any suggestions where I would get a better experience as far as Nassau or Freeport?

That's great! Maybe you can give me some insight then. I would love to visit more charitable like organizations. Orphanage, animal shelter, hospital, something like that. Do you have any suggestions where I would get a better experience as far as Nassau or Freeport?

Since you are only in town a few hours, I would suggest Nassau (Freeport is spread out and will take up travel time.

People to People would be the perfect way to visit these places.

Most will need advance notice, as you can't just walk into an orphanage or even a hospital and expect someone be available to show you around.

There are 2 hospitals downtown (one for the rich/insured and one for the rest of the population) , an orphanage nearby, salvation army on Mackey Street and an animal shelter near the Zoo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We've been to Nassau about 15 times over the last 10 years. We decided to do the People to People Exchange last week and had the best time.

I applied on their web site and got a reply about a week later. We had several emails back and forth with our host Jacquie. I let her know ther would be 4 of us (Myself, DW, and DDs ages 11 & 9). I also told her we would like to visit a school and bring some supplies for the students. Jacquie arranged everything.

Our host Jacquie met us at the Department of Tourism (which was a little tough to find, but it's not their fault that the people at the port didn't know which building it was). After some quick introductions, we were off. We started out at a primary school (grades K-6). The pricincipal was there to meet us and gave us some history of the school. We got to visit a 4th grade and a 6th grade. The kids were fantastic and had lots of questions for our kids. My 9 year old just ate it up. After visiting the classes and touring the school, we delivered the supplies to the principal who brought in the prefect (top students) to receive the supplies and take some pictures.

After the school, we stopped by an old fort before heading off to the Bahamas Historical Society. Surprisingly, both girls really enjoyed the museum and the curator enjoyed sharing the history of Bahamas with them. She was really surprised when my youngest indicated that Columbus was not a nice person, despite what history likes to think.

Jacquie continued our tour of the island, sharing much of the history and the future. We stopped for lunch at Fish Fry and enjoyed food at Twin Brothers. Jacquie ordered some amazing fresh conch, as well as fried conch. I had some really tasty grouper and homemade fruit punch. My non-seafood eating DW and kids had burgers, chicken fingers and mac n cheese.

After lunch, our tour around the island continued. We got to see parts of the island that were simply stunning. She dropped us off back at the ship where we took some pictures and said our good-byes. We had brought a cookbook from Georgia to share with her and she had bought a book at the historical society for the kids.

We had an amazing time with Jacquie and I'm certain we will keep in touch for years to come.

We've been to Nassau about 15 times over the last 10 years. We decided to do the People to People Exchange last week and had the best time.

I applied on their web site and got a reply about a week later. We had several emails back and forth with our host Jacquie. I let her know ther would be 4 of us (Myself, DW, and DDs ages 11 & 9). I also told her we would like to visit a school and bring some supplies for the students. Jacquie arranged everything.

Our host Jacquie met us at the Department of Tourism (which was a little tough to find, but it's not their fault that the people at the port didn't know which building it was). After some quick introductions, we were off. We started out at a primary school (grades K-6). The pricincipal was there to meet us and gave us some history of the school. We got to visit a 4th grade and a 6th grade. The kids were fantastic and had lots of questions for our kids. My 9 year old just ate it up. After visiting the classes and touring the school, we delivered the supplies to the principal who brought in the prefect (top students) to receive the supplies and take some pictures.

After the school, we stopped by an old fort before heading off to the Bahamas Historical Society. Surprisingly, both girls really enjoyed the museum and the curator enjoyed sharing the history of Bahamas with them. She was really surprised when my youngest indicated that Columbus was not a nice person, despite what history likes to think.

Jacquie continued our tour of the island, sharing much of the history and the future. We stopped for lunch at Fish Fry and enjoyed food at Twin Brothers. Jacquie ordered some amazing fresh conch, as well as fried conch. I had some really tasty grouper and homemade fruit punch. My non-seafood eating DW and kids had burgers, chicken fingers and mac n cheese.

After lunch, our tour around the island continued. We got to see parts of the island that were simply stunning. She dropped us off back at the ship where we took some pictures and said our good-byes. We had brought a cookbook from Georgia to share with her and she had bought a book at the historical society for the kids.

We had an amazing time with Jacquie and I'm certain we will keep in touch for years to come.

We are looking to participate in this program in March. One of my friends want to visit an orphanage as well as a school. What supplies did you bring and principal advise what was the most needed items.

I signed up quite a while ago for January 2014. I guess I'm not expecting to hear anything for a while, but it sure would be nice to at least know they still have my email!

Still really hoping to be able to do this, since AFAIK it will be my only "excursion" for the cruise.

We are going to be in the bahamas in January and sent an email in early November--we heard back yesterday, so I think they just wait until closer to the tour time. :)

We are going to be in the bahamas in January and sent an email in early November--we heard back yesterday, so I think they just wait until closer to the tour time. :)

Thanks AllyRae. I heard from P2P also! They asked for confirmation of our date and time, etc. So now I'm excited to find out who our host(ess) will be, and learn more about them! Leaving on our cruise in just 19 more days.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Allure on February 16th with an abbreviated port time in Nassau--7 am-2 pm, I think. We are thinking of just staying on the ship as we know there will be more than enough to do on board (last cruise was on RCCL Liberty in the Mediterranean, a very "port-packed" itinerary, and while it was fabulous we actually wished we had more time on the ship). But then I read about People to People and thought it sounded intriguing.

We have an 8-year-old, an almost 6-year-old, and a 3.5-year-old. I would love to have my kids have the opportunity to meet local Bahamian kids and learn about what their schools are like, how their lives are similar and different, etc. For those familiar with the program, would there be enough time, with the shortened port time, to spend with a P2P ambassador, visit a school and meet kids, etc.?

We are on the Allure on February 16th with an abbreviated port time in Nassau--7 am-2 pm, I think. We are thinking of just staying on the ship as we know there will be more than enough to do on board (last cruise was on RCCL Liberty in the Mediterranean, a very "port-packed" itinerary, and while it was fabulous we actually wished we had more time on the ship). But then I read about People to People and thought it sounded intriguing.

We have an 8-year-old, an almost 6-year-old, and a 3.5-year-old. I would love to have my kids have the opportunity to meet local Bahamian kids and learn about what their schools are like, how their lives are similar and different, etc. For those familiar with the program, would there be enough time, with the shortened port time, to spend with a P2P ambassador, visit a school and meet kids, etc.?

I am on Oasis the following week with same amount of port time. Received an initial reply when I contacted them a few months back. Look forward to more info soon. I am very excited about an opportunity to immerse into the true culture.

Patti

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are visiting in March (probably my 5th time in Nassau) and very excited to do something different. I don't want to spend the money or do the touristy Atlantis. Our boys are 9 and 15 and we would very much enjoy visiting a school as we are in port on a Monday.

What supplies would be most needed at the schools? We are lucky to be driving to the port this time so we could pack a nice box.

Also, I would love to hear more about the Cultural Museum...that sounds like something we would all enjoy as well.

Appreciate any information anyone can give. Thanks!

I remember my father telling me about a program like this when he and my Mother sailed to Nassau in the late 70's early 80's. They had been to this port several times and wanted to do something different. They actually booked it through the excursion desk on the ship the morning they arrived in Nassau. The program tried to match you with a person in the same line of work as what you did. Being such short notice they were unable to pair my Father with someone in construction/architecture/engineering and they were paired with a family that owned a bakery. My parents were given a driving tour of the island and they had actually been brought to the families personal house and served lunch. They ended up visiting the bakery that they owned and then dropped back at the port after a wonderful day. As they were dropped at the port another car pulled up with one of the workers from the bakery. They had given my parent a sheet cake for their anniversary (25th - 30th not sure which they were celebrating at the time) The cake was delivered to the kitchen and brought out after dinner for anyone in the area to share.

Overall my parents loved this as it was an informal tour of the island and its people outside the tourist trap areas. Even though it was not what it was meant to be at the time (paired with someone in the same business as my dad) they talked about this trip for several years later.

This sounds like they brought back this same type of tour. The only difference is they booked it through the excursion desk on the ship. They had been on the SS Oceanic (Home Lines out of NYC). I can still remember going on the ship to Bon Voyage parties before my parents left, thinking how big the ship looked. We actually saw the SS Oceanic in Nassau as the "Big Red Boat" in 1992 while my wife and I were on our first cruise on the original Crown Princess. My parents were with us and it was neat to look down on the ship I had once thought was so big.

I remember my father telling me about a program like this when he and my Mother sailed to Nassau in the late 70's early 80's. They had been to this port several times and wanted to do something different. They actually booked it through the excursion desk on the ship the morning they arrived in Nassau. The program tried to match you with a person in the same line of work as what you did. Being such short notice they were unable to pair my Father with someone in construction/architecture/engineering and they were paired with a family that owned a bakery. My parents were given a driving tour of the island and they had actually been brought to the families personal house and served lunch. They ended up visiting the bakery that they owned and then dropped back at the port after a wonderful day. As they were dropped at the port another car pulled up with one of the workers from the bakery. They had given my parent a sheet cake for their anniversary (25th - 30th not sure which they were celebrating at the time) The cake was delivered to the kitchen and brought out after dinner for anyone in the area to share.

Overall my parents loved this as it was an informal tour of the island and its people outside the tourist trap areas. Even though it was not what it was meant to be at the time (paired with someone in the same business as my dad) they talked about this trip for several years later.

This sounds like they brought back this same type of tour. The only difference is they booked it through the excursion desk on the ship. They had been on the SS Oceanic (Home Lines out of NYC). I can still remember going on the ship to Bon Voyage parties before my parents left, thinking how big the ship looked. We actually saw the SS Oceanic in Nassau as the "Big Red Boat" in 1992 while my wife and I were on our first cruise on the original Crown Princess. My parents were with us and it was neat to look down on the ship I had once thought was so big.

Great Story!

• 3 weeks later...

Well we start traveling to our port in 1 day and still no word other than my confirmation email asking which island. And I sent a follow up email last week with no reply. Very disappointing because I bought them a pile of gifts, including ordering books for the school.

Well we start traveling to our port in 1 day and still no word other than my confirmation email asking which island. And I sent a follow up email last week with no reply. Very disappointing because I bought them a pile of gifts, including ordering books for the school.

Still a couple of weeks to go here but I had sent a follow up email so I would know whether to go ahead and get things to bring. Not fee lining optimistic after reading your post

Patti

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app