SliceofLife's 5/19 Breakaway to Bermuda Review

SliceOfLife

Thank you for such a fun and informative review! Can't wait to see all the pictures. Already knew that you had been working on your review daily (Gambee let us know!) while onboard, and your review is really helpful on many fronts. Gambee is doing quite well with his in depth review as well, and between the two of you I don't believe there is a stone left unturned.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review!

I've bought the ginger chews from the health food section at my grocery store. In my store, it's by the protein powders & bars, gluten free foods, whole grains (steel cut oats, buckwheat, etc).

I LOVE ginger so i tried the chews and fell in love! They are kinda spicy. I have never gotten sea sick but, felt queasy on a fishing boat last summer....could have been the lack of sleep and alcohol the night before but could also be my body is changing. I have been affected differently by certain things ever since I had kids. Then again, if it was lack of sleep and alcohol....I'll be having that on the ship as well as staying in an aft balcony!! I think I'll take all those things just in case, like you. There's no side effects!?

Ah, health food section, I would not have thought to look there. Thanks for the scoop!

No side effects, Bonine is the only real medicine, the ginger chews are natural, and the Nauzene is made out of fructose and two other things.

If it were a late show, people with kids couldn't go at all, or pay for late care at splash. (I wouldn't pay for late care because my kids would be exhausted!) A 7oclock show allows parents to drop off children at splash and enjoy the show. I agree there are so many other shows that would be more appropriate. I remember being on NCL Dawn and there were several broadway shows during the week....why just the one? Smaller theater?

Yes, the Breakaway has a much smaller theater with over 4,000 people sailing they offer each show a few times so everyone can try and see it.

Thank you for such a fun and informative review! Can't wait to see all the pictures. Already knew that you had been working on your review daily (Gambee let us know!) while onboard, and your review is really helpful on many fronts. Gambee is doing quite well with his in depth review as well, and between the two of you I don't believe there is a stone left unturned.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review!

:) Thanks! I know Gambee is a in depth reviewer which is just way too much work for me. I am a straight and to the point kind of reviewer. Like you said, between us, we've got you covered!

I'll be posting more pictures tonight. I took over 1,000 so I have a lot to sort and decide what to post!

I remembered some stuff to add.

I love the hand washing stations in the Garden Cafe and Uptown Grill. Great addition to keeping germs at bay.

On another note about germs, some of the doors you have to touch a sensor to open, now that doesn't make sense since you're trying to keep germ contact to a minimum. :confused:

I thought the A/C in the room worked great. There is a little button on the side of the thermostat that has a snowflake that you can press and it lights up blue. I have no idea what it does. Someone from the rollcall asked their room steward what it did and they didn't even know. On our cabin crawl a few people had their heat on and their rooms were toasty!

The balconies have a light on them.

There are plenty of fun little sitting areas scattered inside the ship.

All the way forward on the public sundeck there are three cabanas, padded lounger chairs and padded lounge beds. There is only a handful so if you want them, you better make your way there quickly in the morning.

First off, it would seem rather strange to try to encourage people to wash hands frequently and then decide a touch sensor is a good idea. However, if it is like most other sensors, touching with your arm or elbow may be a good idea.

Second, the thermostat, well this might explain to me why some on the TA and others have had issues with the room temp. If this t-stat is anything like the similar ones made for land (family business is in heating and cooling) that button actually activates the a/c. Far more so than just turning down the thermostat. If you hit that button and turn the temp up to say 75, it won't actually throw heat. Heard some on the TA and others say their room was cool with heat on- this may explain it. To activate heat, one must make sure the snowflake is not lit up first. Works very similar to what some cars have.

First off, it would seem rather strange to try to encourage people to wash hands frequently and then decide a touch sensor is a good idea. However, if it is like most other sensors, touching with your arm or elbow may be a good idea.

Second, the thermostat, well this might explain to me why some on the TA and others have had issues with the room temp. If this t-stat is anything like the similar ones made for land (family business is in heating and cooling) that button actually activates the a/c. Far more so than just turning down the thermostat. If you hit that button and turn the temp up to say 75, it won't actually throw heat. Heard some on the TA and others say their room was cool with heat on- this may explain it. To activate heat, one must make sure the snowflake is not lit up first. Works very similar to what some cars have.

Yeah, it was very strange about the sensor. They're down low so hitting it with an elbow would have been very awkward to do.

I forgot to mention with the little button you press with the blue light, it doesn't always stay on. You press it, and about five minutes later it goes off. I don't know what the story is with it. It has two other buttons to higher or lower the temps.

I find that Bonine works great for me, it doesn't make me tired at all or cranky. Invest in the pressure point bands. I used to use sea bands that look like sweat band cuffs.

Next up, get ginger gum or ginger chews (I bought both!) and eat them whenever you start feeling a bit queasy. I bought a bag of Reed's Ginger Chews from Amazon and Sea Band brand Ginger Gum.

Third, I brought along Nauzene Upset Stomach chewable tablets. These taste really weird even though they're cherry flavor. They work like magic!

I just emailed myself all of the above! Thanks for the info, it'll help me on the TransAtlantic cruise. Loved your Breakaway review, we are thinking of taking her to Bermuda someday. I'll try that helmet dive if we do.

Yes, the Breakaway has a much smaller theater with over 4,000 people sailing they offer each show a few times so everyone can try and see it.

Which means some nights you have no entertainment other than the music in the lounges. Of course, you can pay to see Cirque Dreams, which would be a wonderful free alternative to ROA. Breakaway is very different from the traditional entertainment which is on most other ships. By the way, what do parents do with their kids when they go to the late night comedian shows?

Edited by travelbig

Which means some nights you have no entertainment other than the music in the lounges. Of course, you can pay to see Cirque Dreams, which would be a wonderful free alternative to ROA. Breakaway is very different from the traditional entertainment which is on most other ships. By the way, what do parents do with their kids when they go to the late night comedian shows?

If you don't see Burn the Floor, Rock of Ages or Cirque, you have the option of going to Fat Cats to see Slam Allen a few nights, Howl at the Moon for a few nights, plenty of music acts in the lounges and Atrium, The Newlywed Not so Newlywed Game, Deal or No Deal, 55 to Stay Alive, Majority Wins.

I don't know what parents do with their kids for late night shows. I think you can pay extra for the kids club to watch your kids after normal hours.

This was such a great review! I really enjoyed reading about your experience and appreciate all the helpful hints and tips. I wrote down some of your recommendations and hope to have a great trip June 30th.

Thank you very much!

I hope you have a great cruise!

This is a very random question but do they sell Twisted Teas on board? They did not on our last NCL cruise and its the only thing my hubby likes to drink. He is considering putting a few cans I. His luggage and if they take it they take it. I told him I think they just keep the luggage and you have to open it and give them the drinks and take your bag? Would be nice if we knew if they had it on the ship though.

For some reason I was not aware that you posted your review already. I just read it all, great review. Really enjoyed reading your perspective about the ship in detail.

I have to agree with you, if one gets bored on that ship, well I am not sure what to say... Lol.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.

This is a very random question but do they sell Twisted Teas on board? They did not on our last NCL cruise and its the only thing my hubby likes to drink. He is considering putting a few cans I. His luggage and if they take it they take it. I told him I think they just keep the luggage and you have to open it and give them the drinks and take your bag? Would be nice if we knew if they had it on the ship though.

I looked at a few drink menus and did not see Twisted Tea. You could try and sneak it in your luggage. If you get caught you'll have to wait in the long naughty room line to show them what's in your bag.

Hi! Thanks for your terrific review and photos. Easy question for anyone who has docked at King's Wharf recently. I will be traveling with an elderly woman who is vibrant and fully mobile but tires out quickly walking long distances. She never in a million years would agree to use a power chair or wheel chair etc. So, what I want to know is how far does one need to walk to get from the exit area of the ship to the location where one could get on the public bus or the dockyard shuttle or the ferry? Thanks.

Terry

For some reason I was not aware that you posted your review already. I just read it all, great review. Really enjoyed reading your perspective about the ship in detail.

I have to agree with you, if one gets bored on that ship, well I am not sure what to say... Lol.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.

I finished up everything waiting for the train and figured people were eager for a review. In hindsight I probably should have included my pictures to make it more exciting, but at the time I didn't feel like it. Oh well, there is always the next time!!

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the review, It is fun to read what others experienced on the same cruise.

I know Blue is a lot of money, but oh man that steak was worth every penny. I didn't realize Blue was going to be on the Getaway too.

Haha, yeah, if you get bored, you have some personal issues to address! I wish the cruise was 10 nights! There was not enough time to fit everything in!

Thank you so much for the day-by-day review, including your take in the helmet dive. I have been thinking of this activity also. :)

You're welcome. I have some helmet dive pictures to add along with a few underwater videos. It was really fun! You should go for it!

Hi! Thanks for your terrific review and photos. Easy question for anyone who has docked at King's Wharf recently. I will be traveling with an elderly woman who is vibrant and fully mobile but tires out quickly walking long distances. She never in a million years would agree to use a power chair or wheel chair etc. So, what I want to know is how far does one need to walk to get from the exit area of the ship to the location where one could get on the public bus or the dockyard shuttle or the ferry? Thanks.

Terry

It's a few minutes walking to get to where the busses are. It's all flat area. I don't know the actual distance.

There is a shuttle that looks like a train you can ride around in for free around the Dockyard. It picks up right before the busses.