First time cruisers 5/17 splendor review

Mostradamus

This was my first cruise and I plan on writing a review as soon as I can get settled in at home and with getting back to work including the changes there.

Im sure this review will be a little different as it was just my boyfriend and I. We're a bit younger than the norm (22) but I assure you it was not an alcohol induced mess. Okay, I was a little buzzed the nights before a day at sea.. But that's it!

I just have to upload pictures to photobucket and all that jazz.

In the meantime, any questions or anything are perfectly fine.

since you are around the same age as my fiance and I who are cruising this august (my first time, her first since she was like 14).. How was the night club? (assuming you went), good music, atmosphere, and what not.. Thats something I've been intrigued about but cant seem to find any reviews for it.

Day One: Embarkation

i believe it was around 10:30, 11 when we got dropped off at the Manhattan terminal. we maybe spent 20 minutes on line, flew right through it. then we sat around for a little bit before they started to call us to board. we were zone 6. honestly i don't think that took too long either, we were chatting and people watching. once onboard, we weren't exactly sure where to start. it was still quite awhile until sail away, so i decided we should walk around a little bit. try to get a feel for the layout, learn our way around while we had some time to kill.

yes, it's quite pink. yes, some of the designs and decorations are kind of tacky. but honestly, it didn't even bother me. i paid to take a vacation, not look at decor. towards the end, it actually grew on me a little bit.

now for one of my FAVORITE parts, sail away itself. we grabbed a drink and made our way up to deck 12, where the mini golf is overlooking serenity. starboard side? the view of the city from the ship is incredible.

DSCF4013_zps577bc5d5.jpg

the NYFD shot water out of their fire boat the entire time until we were past them. in all the reviews i read before this trip, i never saw any mention of this or a picture of it, so i took lots but here is one of the best.

DSCF4022_zpsda85e4c8.jpg

even though i live in NJ, and can get to the tunnel in 30 minutes or less, i have never been to the Statue of Liberty. this was the closest i've ever gotten. i think i'm going to have to change that.

DSCF4030_zps97be47a9.jpg

now regrettably, i don't have any pictures going under the bridge. i'm a small girl with a small bladder and, well... :o once i solved that problem, i didn't want to wiggle through to find a good spot to get a picture of it. i'm not entirely sure of everything we did from here on, but i believe it consisted of unpacking, changing, and then dinner.

we had a porthole inside deck 1 forward. i don't get sea sick, so it wasn't a problem. i have pictures somewhere in my iPhoto, so they'll come at a later time once i sort and upload everything. sorry!

no food pictures. i always let my camera charge up while i was away eating. i believe i got the grilled chicken from the everyday menu, and it was really good. as was all the other food. oh! we had any time dining and the longest we waited any night was maybe 20 minutes. and that was when we went a little bit before the dining room even opened and we had to wait. Glenn was by far our favorite waiter, he was awesome and we chatted about tattoos.

we hung out around the pool and at the lido bar. caught the Welcome Aboard Show. eh.. not the best. and then ended up back on lido for the rest of the night.

now, my dad was a Marine for six years and spent a good amount of time on a navy ship during the end of the Vietnam War, and one thing he said never got boring was the sunrises and sunsets, and i managed to be around once to get a picture of the sunset. he did not disappoint.

DSCF4035_zpsd2e371d8.jpg

i have to go be a part of our yearly hosted Memorial Day/start of the summer season BBQ, but i'll try to get another section done later or tomorrow at the latest. i think i'm going to group all the sea days together, since they kind of all were the same in my memory. and then each port day will get it's own post. i'm probably not too good at this anyway, but oh well.

Archived