Have you done a transatlantic cruise? If so, can you help with some questions?

We are planning on doing a Transatlantic cruise with some friends but have several questions. We are probably going to do the northern crossing on the JOS.

How rough is it? We usually do aft cabins, but that is on Caribbean and Med cruises. Would we be crazy to try for an aft on a TA cruise?

Are larger ships better to do TA cruises than smaller ones?

Is it better to sail from west to east or from east to west, or does it really matter?

What is the weather generally like? Can you even use or enjoy the pool?

What do you do for all those sea days? The most we have ever had in a row has been two.

Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for us?

Thanks,

We are planning on doing a Transatlantic cruise with some friends but have several questions. We are probably going to do the northern crossing on the JOS.

How rough is it? We usually do aft cabins, but that is on Caribbean and Med cruises. Would we be crazy to try for an aft on a TA cruise?

Is it better to sail from west to east or from east to west, or does it really matter?

What do you do for all those sea days? The most we have ever had in a row has been two.

Thanks,

We did Eastbound from San Juan 4/30/05 aboard Celebrity Constellation, loved every minute of the cruise, the BEST holiday I've had ever (16 times to Florida, plus other US states.) The weather was fantastic, never saw rain for the whole 22 days, (8days in Orlando prev' ),even the Captain told my husband, whilst he was on a bridge tour, it's the best crossing ever across the Atlantic.

We have just booked Jewel of the seas 8 days, 04/22/06...Caribbean, then, 4/30/06 Eastbound JOS, back to UK. Loads of things I love(d), about this Itinery is NO jet lag.........Can hardly wait for April 2006 to come LOL.

We have a Aft cabin doing Eastbound.:cool:

Thanks,

We did not do totally aft cabins, but they were in the aft of the ship (midway aft) on both of our Transatlantic cruises. Both of the ships were Radiance class and sometimes it was rough. We sailed from the UK to Boston both times.

The weather was a little cool and on the first crossing they wouldn't let us on deck due to the rough seas (but it was totally fun). The second was much calmer We would go up in the Viking Crown Lounge and watch for whales or the waves, perhaps read...... It was very beautiful. These were the most relaxing vacations we had ever taken and would do it again in a heartbeat!

We did the Jewel UK to US last year- loved the fact that due to the time change we GAINED an extra hour every day when crossing the transatlantic (of course probably gained an extra pound every day as well- and not in currency!). Gaining an hour every day is like getting an extended cruise at no extra cost...

If you live in the U.S. and can go to the UK (or wherever on that side of the ocean) a few days early- you get on the ship feeling good and get home feeling GREAT-- yup, I'd do it again! As for the sea days- we loved them-- but then we're not into high activity levels so they were perfect for us. Also did the D Day beaches, Cork and Plymouth. The D day beaches are not to be missed (IMHO), especially for those of us who had dads/brothers in that war.

We just completed our 2nd crossing on the Brilliance. We encounterd very rough seas (winds 107 mph and 25-30 foot seas). We'd still do it again. This voyage was eastbound from Miami to Barcelona. It was wonderful.

Last fall we did the westbound on the Galaxy from Rome to Baltimore. We had calm seas the entire way. It also was wonderful and we would do it again.

If I could only do one way, I would do the westbound for the same reason the previous poster said. You gain hours instead of losing them. For 5 straight nights on the eastbound we lost an hour and had 23 hour days. Westbound we gained hours and had 25 hour days.

I would say look at the itineraries and decide which ports you want to visit. That's how I'd make my decision. If you have a chance to visit Rome, go. If you have a chance to visit Barcelona, go.

And enjoy.:D

Garry

Hi Garry, how are you doing? I don't know if you remember us, but we were going to be on the Millenium cruise last year November of 04 when they changed up the itinerary. I know you and Bob changed to the Galaxy when all that was going on. BTW, how is Bob doing? We along with Jim got bumped when they moved the previous cruisers into our cabins. What a mess. We are now looking at doing the JOS from Harwich to Boston and getting to do a TA cruise afterall.

Hi Don,

Just be sure they don't cancel the cruise after yours and put the people from that one in your cabin with you! :D Remember the Millennium?

We strongly prefer the aft and had one on the Brilliance eastbound. Loved it for all the same reasons we always do.

We did the westbound on Galaxy and eastbound on Brilliance. Both handled the seas fine. I think the Jewel had a little more in the way of activities and would pick that over the Splendour (if you were considering a different RCL ship).

Is it better to sail from west to east or from east to west, or does it really matter? West to east is a little better because of the time changes.

We took the southern routes both times, but the Jewel comes back the end of August and should give some pool time, at least toward the western end.

There are usually plenty of activities such as trivia, some classes such as computers/photography, etc. Funny, I can't list particulars, but I only managed to read 2 books and I was never bored.

Plan on some time on the European end. If you do a west to east, go at least 48 hours before sailing so you can do some sightseeing and get over the jet lag. If you do go to London, consider a private van service to get to Harwich. It isn't terribly expensive with 4 people sharing and it beats waiting for the cruiseline bus. Here's a link to a company we used that was very good. Pay attention tho their caution about size of vehicle and luggage.

http://www.airporttransfers.biz

Thanks,

We did the Brilliance transatlantic from Harwich, England to Boston, MA in 2002 and absolutely loved everything about it. We did encounter high seas for a day or two as Captain James MacDonald maneuvered to avoid the worst effects of Hurricane Gustave. We spent six days in England, including a day trip to Paris, before the cruise and ran ourselves ragged knowing that we had seven sea days ahead of us to relax and refresh ourselves. That extra hour on five of the days helped considerably.

We were able to use the solarium pool on all but the two days when the seas were rough, and on the last day of the cruise it was warm and sunny enough to enjoy all of the outside features of the ship. Plenty of activities are scheduled if you want to remain active while at sea, but plenty of quiet spots where you can relax.

This August we are going to London four days in advance of our Jewel transatlantic, to see some of what we missed the first time. This year's itinerary includes stops in LeHavre, France, Plymouth, England, Cork, Ireland, Halifax, Nova Scotia, and Portland, Maine before ending up in Boston. (We live about twenty miles south of the city, so this is the ideal way to end our cruise). Even with all the ports of call in the itinerary we still have six sea days to enjoy all of the features of this beautiful ship.Try a transatlantic and I think you will be hooked. :)

Just had to toss in my 2cents or should I say Euros since we are talking TA cruises.

How rough is it? We usually do aft cabins, but that is on Caribbean and Med cruises. Would we be crazy to try for an aft on a TA cruise? We have done many TA cruises. The seas can be rough for any sailing. Personally I think a rough day adds a extra demention to the cruise. You would not be cazy to book the aft, afte cabins make for the most perfect sail-away parties. We have had aft cabins on the Jewel, Brilliance, and Serenade.

Are larger ships better to do TA cruises than smaller ones? We love the Radiance class ships so prefer them to any other.

Is it better to sail from west to east or from east to west, or does it really matter? We also like the 25 hour days, ports at the start and the 6+ relaxing days at sea. We have done both ways, one is not better but just like to relax at the end of vacation and not have to deal with the long plane flight at the end of our trip. When going to Europe we always have several days before to sightsee and recover from flying.

What is the weather generally like? Can you even use or enjoy the pool? We have had very good luck with the weather, only a few days that we had fog or rain, but can always fine something or nothing to do.

What do you do for all those sea days? The most we have ever had in a row has been two. You will find the days at sea most relaxing. There is always plenty to do if you want. We just enjoy reading, playing cards (somethimg we hardley ever get to do at home), the sauna and steam room, talking with other passangers. We have meet the most intresting people on the TA cruises.

Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for us? Book the aft, and have a great cruise. The old saying pack half as many clothes and twice as much money could never be truer. What crossing are you considering? You are lucky some of the nicest TA crusiser have responded to you questions, I have been on this board for sometime and you are getting some great comments by those in the know.

Thanks,

Hi Bob..............

Rena and I are planning on going with Don and Diana on this one........hope you guys are doing ok..........

Jim

Ann & Derek Noton

We have 9258 on the Eastbound JOS in April. Might see you on board!!

We have sailed TA four times and the sea has been calm on each occasion. Last year the weather was a little cold and we found that the aft cabin was excellent, because we were protected from the breeze flowing past the ship and were able to take advantage of whatever sun was available.

The balcony is much larger than the normal one and, on the Millennium, we had 2 sunloungers as well as a table and four chairs.

We tend to get lazier day by day, but there are always lots of lectures and other things to do if we are feeling energetic.

We always travel West to East because we find that it is much better for reducing the effects of jet lag.

Speedwell

We sailed the transaltantic this past Spring from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome. The weather and water were calm except for 1 day leaving the last port in the Azores. Even than with class 8 winds (do not know what wind speed that is) the ship was still smooth in the water.

Seemly our thinking, which can obviously be wrong, is that the chances of a smooth crossing will be in Spring rather than a Fall crossing simply because in the Fall it is Hurricane Season in the Atlantic. Thus, we took the Spring crossing plus going to Rome on a vessel from the US is also a nice touch in itself.

Another factor to consider is that we took a more southern route and did not enter the upper North Atlantic which has a history of having high and rough seas.

In our way of thinking the season of the year and the route the vessel travels determines more so how smooth the chances of a smooth crossing will be than any other factors.

And yes we did loose those five hours in five days making for 23 hour days. But no jet lag because the body had time to adjust to the changes. One way to look at it is that it was just one hour sooner until our next meal.

Two ladies at our table had an aft corner cabin and they highly recommended it for it spaciousness, accommodations, service, smooth cruising and yes the big wrap around balcony. When we visited with them one evening after dinner it was calm on the more centered aft portion of the balcony deck but very noticably windy on the side wrap around portion of the deck. The side deck had a stronger wind similar to our balcony deck whereas their more centered aft deck had a very comfortable breeze.

Hi Jim,

I wondered if you guys were the friends Don was talking about.

We loved both of our TAs. But ours were both more southern routes, although our westbound went to Baltimore so maybe that qualifies as a "middle of the road". We had cabin 9256 on the Brilliance. That's a corner, but the balcony doesn't wrap. But, it was big enough for 2 lounge chair in addition to the 2 deck chairs and small table. And as Comeaux said, there is no real wind on the aft balcony. There is enough air stirring to cut any heat, but not so much that it is uncomfortable if the temperature is cool. In my mind, it opens up the balcony to more use than on the side.

We're doing fine. We'll be on the Jewel next July, going to the Baltics. If I read Don's post right that you are looking at the northern route on the Jewel, that would be about 6 weeks after we get off. I promise we'll leave the ship in good shape.

Regards to Rena.

Jewel is definitely a great choice.

Can´t comment on aft. cabins as I don´t had them. However have done 3 TA so far.

My TA cruises have al lbeen on Vision class ships. I´m sure you´ll be fine on the Jewel

Although my TA cruises all have been from east to west due to timing (have my vacation usually in the fall). Coming from Europe I would always prefer west to east because of the jetlag. This would give me the chance to have the long exhausting flight at the beginning and then the relaxing trip back home. Of course it would be the other way round if I would be from America.

As others said east to west has the opportunity of gaining hours instead of loosing them.

I doubt that anyone can say what the weather is generally like.

My experience was on my first TA (Northern route) we had extremely rough seas and missed two ports because of bad weather. From Iceland we had 4 days of very high waves. They had to close all outside decks. Activities had been somewhat limited due to rough seas and elevators had to be shut down because of safety reasons. I had a cabin on deck 2 pretty far forward and it was quite bumpy, so I think an aft. had been as bumpy.

The pools of course had been emptied because of the ships movement.

Was it boring to me, NO. Did I still enjoy the trip, yes.

My second TA was a year later on a more southern route and we had the best weather, calm seas and the pool was busy the whole cruise. My third (again southern route) was not nearly as rough as the first but the weather was a little worse than the second. So who can tell how the weather will be.

I prefer relaxing, reading a book, relaxing, enjoying the ship, relaxing, ...(I think you get it;) )

Thanks,

Only one I would go for it.

Bob we thought we would try a transatlantic without it being cancelled LOL! Yes we picked this for itinerary and the fact it is East to West. Expect a full report on the Jewell when you get back.

Of course we can't book it until June of 06:D

Vision of the seas, Mariner of the Seas and a 15 day Panama repositioning cruise on the Radiance is up next for us............

E mail me when you have time and I'll tell you about my Celebrity experience:D

Jim

The Jewel Trans-Atlantic 06 Roll Call has been started...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=194307

brigid-

Cruisinsince75 and us are looking at August of 07.......nothing like planning ahead:D Assuming they have the transatlantic again, which we presume they will.

Hi Everyone,

My husband is planning our TA for August 2006 on Jewel of the Seas; Harwich to Boston. He wants to spend a few days in England before the cruise. My question is what to pack and how much for a 12 night cruise? How formal is RCI? Are there washing machines available for guests to use? We've only cruised with Carnival so far and are excited about cruising with RCI.

Thanks,

Sandy

Hello Speedwell, if you hear anybody doing 'a clog dance' that'll be us LOL, we're right above you in 1102.

Can hardly wait for 2006.If JOS is as good as Celeb' Constellation I will be one 'happy chappie'.............. :D

Ann & Derek Noton

We have 9258 on the Eastbound JOS in April. Might see you on board!!

We have sailed TA four times and the sea has been calm on each occasion. Last year the weather was a little cold and we found that the aft cabin was excellent, because we were protected from the breeze flowing past the ship and were able to take advantage of whatever sun was available.

The balcony is much larger than the normal one and, on the Millennium, we had 2 sunloungers as well as a table and four chairs.

We tend to get lazier day by day, but there are always lots of lectures and other things to do if we are feeling energetic.

We always travel West to East because we find that it is much better for reducing the effects of jet lag.

Speedwell

I have been on a total of 13 cruises, 2 of them being Transatlantics... and I have to say, there is no better itinerary!!! The TA cruises combine the best of all cruises IMO. We have met some of the best people and enjoyed our fellow passengers more on the TA cruises that any other cruise. Sue.Young and her husband being two of those people! We met them on the Brilliance crossing in '04 and cruised with them again on the Jewel this past May! You can't go wrong!

sedbandmom - we've done one TA on Brilliance and are doing another on the Jewel this August. Unfortunately, no guest washing machines on RCI as yet (Freedom will have them). Definitely plan on at least a few days in London pre cruise - it will help with the jet lag. Also, depending upon where you live, you might find a flight that leaves the US in the morning and arrives in UK at night, which will also help with the jet lag. Our Boston flight leaves at 9 a.m. and arrives in London around 9 p.m. By the time we collect luggage and get to the hotel, there is just time for a nightcap and off to bed. Didn't have any jet lag at all the last time.

Haven't cruised Carnival in a while, but RCI is not too formal. There will be either two or three formal nights on the TA crossing, but suits for the men and dresses or pantsuits for the ladies are appropriate. You will see tuxedoes and sequins - it's up to you what you want to pack and wear.

With the new luggage weight restrictions, you are limited to what you can take. Most airlines (and you have to check with the specific carrier) allow two bags per person, not to exceed a certain size and a 50 lb. weight.

Does limit packing though. We're doing 4 days in London precruise and a 12 night cruise, so I'm having the same problem with the packing issue - of course, shoes take up so much space, and you need lots of shoes! :)

You won't be sorry you did the TA cruise!

Anne and Derek

I've just added our names to the other board.

I don't thnk the JOS aft balconies are quite as big as Connie, but I've read good reports.

Are you booking your own flight/hotel or taking the fly cruise package?

Speedwell

Anne and Derek

I've just added our names to the other board.

I don't thnk the JOS aft balconies are quite as big as Connie, but I've read good reports.

Are you booking your own flight/hotel or taking the fly cruise package?

Speedwell

Hello,

Do you mean flight/hotel when we get to Harwich, if so, we are trying to find the nearest place to hire a car (can you believe everywhere is closed on a Sunday near the docks!!!) Seems maybe we'll get a transfer with RCI to Stanstead, hire a car and drive home...........takes about 4 hours.

Ann. :)

sedbandmom - we've done one TA on Brilliance and are doing another on the Jewel this August. Unfortunately, no guest washing machines on RCI as yet (Freedom will have them). Definitely plan on at least a few days in London pre cruise - it will help with the jet lag. Also, depending upon where you live, you might find a flight that leaves the US in the morning and arrives in UK at night, which will also help with the jet lag. Our Boston flight leaves at 9 a.m. and arrives in London around 9 p.m. By the time we collect luggage and get to the hotel, there is just time for a nightcap and off to bed. Didn't have any jet lag at all the last time.

Haven't cruised Carnival in a while, but RCI is not too formal. There will be either two or three formal nights on the TA crossing, but suits for the men and dresses or pantsuits for the ladies are appropriate. You will see tuxedoes and sequins - it's up to you what you want to pack and wear.

With the new luggage weight restrictions, you are limited to what you can take. Most airlines (and you have to check with the specific carrier) allow two bags per person, not to exceed a certain size and a 50 lb. weight.

Does limit packing though. We're doing 4 days in London precruise and a 12 night cruise, so I'm having the same problem with the packing issue - of course, shoes take up so much space, and you need lots of shoes! :)

You won't be sorry you did the TA cruise!

Hi Billsgal,

Thanks for answering my questions. We live in Dracut, so will be flying out of Boston. I've read about the morning flights to London and think it's a great idea. Can you recommend a nice hotel in London, please? I'm getting very excited about the TA cruise and look forward to reading the reviews from other cruisers.

Sandy

Archived