OCD Planner's Live ALASKA Photo Trip Report 16 day Cruise Tour aboard Radiance

Did you use Canadian dollars for your taxis and/or do they take credit? Should I hit an ATM or how flexible are they on USD?

In Vancouver the taxi accepted US $, it was $7CAD & I handed him a $10 USD and he seemed happy with that. I did not notice if they accepted credit, sorry. I also paid at a 7-Eleven with USD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

About mid-ship on DECK 5 are the SHOPS OF THE CENTRUM which feature a logo store, perfume store, sundries, snacks, liquor & cigarettes store, jewelry store, etc.

image_zps1c9a5f6a.jpg

image_zps2a60fe0d.jpg

image_zps1224c843.jpg

The walk way wraps around to the port side where you will find Royal Caribbean Online where there are multiple computers available to surf the net for a fee:

image_zps40aa434e.jpg

Back on the starboard side you will find CAFE LATITUDES which features pastries, cookies and donuts for FREE and sells STARBUCKS coffees, teas & hot chocolates for a PRICE

image_zps13f67855.jpg

image_zpsbf248c8b.jpg

image_zps6b02bd92.jpg

image_zps96a8ec60.jpg

At the very aft of DECK 5 is the CASCADES DINING ROOM, deck 5 is the MY TIME DINING entrance:

image_zps9549fc7f.jpg

This completes DECK 5! One more deck & you'll basically have walked the entire ship from top to bottom without every leaving your chair!

DECK 4 midship & forward is all CABINS. The main area on this deck is the CENTRUM which features lots of seating areas, a lobby bar, the GUEST RELATIONS / EXPLORATIONS DESK and then all the way aft is the MAIN DINING ROOM:

image_zps99d046be.jpg

image_zpsca93e141.jpg

image_zps9456cec9.jpg

image_zps2005fc0c.jpg

image_zpsdb7edd83.jpg

image_zps47762590.jpg

At several locations throughout the ship (most generally near the centrum elevators) are the WAYFINDERS. The is like a giant touch pad that you can see where you are, what's going on right now, where the closest dining venues are, you can see menus and more... very handy!

IMG_7647_zpsc7bae323.jpg

Edited by ace1zoe2

Since I have finished the ship and have the pictures of my ornaments already uploaded, I am going to do them next. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the Cruise Compasses all scanned and uploaded which will finish out this massive job I have undertaken over the last several weeks!

So here are my ornaments, starting with the metal antique car. The reason I chose this ornament was because it would remind me of the awesome FOUNTAINHEAD AUTO MUSEUM that we visited in FAIRBANKS on our first full day there. It was also one of the only ornaments that I could find that actually had the town name on it, not just Alaska.

image_zps2194c0e5.jpg

The next one is from SKAGWAY and I chose it because it featured a train, had the town, state and year we visited on it. I bought it at the ALASKA CHRISTMAS STORE on the main shopping street in town:

image_zps0339bbac.jpg

For DENALI I chose a handmade ornament made from recycled wool. I purchased this ornament at the MCKINLEY VILLAGE LODGE gift shop:

image_zps2af7b4b7.jpg

In ANCHORAGE I purchased this HANDMADE IN ALASKA ornament at a store called CABIN FEVER:

image_zps7e0acc7e.jpg

Because we saw the bear unexpectedly in JUNEAU when I saw this ornament at the ALASKA-JUNEAU store I had to have it. It is blown glass an features a momma bear with two cubs:

image_zpsf5f64eff.jpg

and I also bought this one at the same store which is a blown glass totem pole;

image_zpseaf74caf.jpg

I love this hand made ornament that is carved from a birch limb, I think I purchased it in ICY STRAIT POINT at the port store:

image_zps1a054e53.jpg

I also bought this one in ISP at the port shops. It is a 3D brass ornament of the port area and has the name of the port on it:

image_zpsd6939960.jpg

In KETCHIKAN we had limited shopping time because we did a morning & afternoon excursion... one of which was a float plane ride that ended 30 minutes before all-aboard, so I had to shop in between. I had already found out there was a sister shop to the Santa House in North Pole here is Ketchikan called CHRISTMAS IN ALASKA. It is down to the right of the ports on the last block of the main shopping area, right on the corner. I purchased two ornaments here, first is the blown glass cruise ship that has ALASKA CRUISE 2013 on it:

image_zpsa539a4b2.jpg

image_zps6a4958bb.jpg

It looks like part of the wording isn't there, but it is, its just the lighting. My other ornament I bought because it was a floatplane (our excursion) and it had Ketchikan on it:

image_zps024b957d.jpg

When we got to the float plane site, they had a better ornament which I had to have also! It is a 3D brass ornament of a float plane with the company name on it:

image_zps74fa4583.jpg

Edited by ace1zoe2

In SEWARD I found this handmade ornament at KENAI FJORDS GIFT SHOP which is in the main port area where you get on all the boats for the excursions. It is double sided and signed by the artist:

image_zps291e40f0.jpg

image_zps8d31522e.jpg

In NORTH POLE, Alaska at the SANTA CLAUS HOUSE I bought 2 Christopher Radko blown glass ornaments which I had shipped home - one was broken when I got it, but they have refunded the purchase price for it.

image_zpsa8d0f5b6.jpg

image_zps0d156396.jpg

This is the one that was broken, called Polar Pals, the whole back side was busted:

image_zps0dfaa867.jpg

After I paid for the first two I found another Noble Gems ornament that had North Pole on it so I added it to mail shipping box:

image_zpsfcc6024b.jpg

Ok, that does it. Two weeks worth of souvenir shopping completed... can't wait to pull out ALL of my travel ornaments from the past 10+ years to decorate my "TRAVEL TREE" this year... it's one of the six 6-7 foot trees I put up each year. I have an all "BLOWN GLASS" tree, a VINTAGE ornament tree, a FAMILY tree with all the kids ornaments they made or we purchased when they were growing up, an ANGEL tree, a SANTA tree and a SNOWMAN tree.... I know... it's not just travel planning that I'm obsessive compulsive about... my family all thinks I need help!

Somehow I missed posting MAIN DINING ROOM pictures so here they are. Better late than never:

image_zps65e8bade.jpg

image_zps6c3eaa36.jpg

image_zpsb4349266.jpg

Ok folks, that's a wrap for tonight. Will try to finish up tomorrow night with all the scanned documents.

Have enjoyed your commentary & Pics - well done. We love Radiance (and also Rhapsody). Can't wait to be aboard again in November.

Interesting that your M&M was in the Q & C. We recommended that venue after our debacle in the Colony Club on our recent positioning cruise from Sydney to Honolulu. There was absolutely no mingling and the CD (BB) commandeered the entire meeting with over the top detailed explanation of the cruise itinerary and a lengthy raffle draw. We had lots of roll call tour announcements to make that just did not happen.

Hugh

This is the best trip report that I've seen yet. I must check for your updates 5 times a day! :D

We're sailing on the Rhapsody in Aug although I'm not finding any good trip reports on that ship. Does the Rhapsody have a hot dog stand or Mexican cafe??

Thanks for all the time you put into this report. The pictures of the Atrium are beautiful!

This is the best trip report that I've seen yet. I must check for your updates 5 times a day! :D

We're sailing on the Rhapsody in Aug although I'm not finding any good trip reports on that ship. Does the Rhapsody have a hot dog stand or Mexican cafe??

Thanks for all the time you put into this report. The pictures of the Atrium are beautiful!

Thanks so much for the comments! I'm glad you're enjoying my review. Most people have no idea the amount of time it takes to actually post a trip review and I know why some start & never finish :)

We have been on Rhapsody 3 different times (2 x out of Galveston & 1 x in Alaska) and LOVED every minute of it. The ship is smaller but not too small & the staff was absolutely the best of any we've had.

We have not been on since the refurb but this is what dining venues the RCI website shows:

• Main Dining Room with complimentary, multi-course dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • More complimentary options including the Windjammer Café, Solarium Café, and room service*
  • Frozen treats at Ben & Jerry's® Ice Cream*
  • Café Latté-tudes, serving Seattle's Best Coffee®*
  • NEW
    A la carte menu at the new Viking Crown Lounge featuring bite-sized portions of classic dishes
  • NEW
    Complimentary Park Café
  • NEW
    Chef's Table intimate dining experience
  • NEW
    Chops Grille, Royal Caribbean's signature steakhouse
  • NEW
    Giovanni's Table Italian restaurant
  • NEW
    Izumi Asian-fusion cuisine, featuring a la carte sushi selections

Hope you have a fabulous time on your trip! I'm now counting down the days until my February short cruise and OCD planning our European friends & family cruise for 2014!

Have enjoyed your commentary & Pics - well done. We love Radiance (and also Rhapsody). Can't wait to be aboard again in November.

Interesting that your M&M was in the Q & C. We recommended that venue after our debacle in the Colony Club on our recent positioning cruise from Sydney to Honolulu. There was absolutely no mingling and the CD (BB) commandeered the entire meeting with over the top detailed explanation of the cruise itinerary and a lengthy raffle draw. We had lots of roll call tour announcements to make that just did not happen.

Hugh

In my opinion, the M&M for this cruise was the worst we've ever had. There was absolutely no meeting or mingling. No one from the group spoke, there were no planned activities, etc. However, not all of that is the fault of the ship - the group has to correspond before hand and plan things, but our Roll Call was the slowest I have ever been involved in. No one talked ahead of time... I tried to organize a Cabin Crawl, a Slot Pull and a Poker Run but only one or two folks would respond.

I'm hoping to have better luck for my 2014 Euro cruise as we are already talking on that board. Also doing a 4 day in February right after Navigator comes out of dry dock and there will be no organized RCI sponsored M & M because of the short cruise. However that has be been a fabulous board and pretty sure we will be organizing our our Sail Away party and Meet & Mingle event :)

Cindy ~ I truly enjoyed reading along about your adventures. We have been on the Radiance (before her refurbishment) and loved it.

We are planning our Alaska trip for 2015. When you started planning, did you have any question about traveling with RCCL? I mean, I have heard that smaller ships can get into places that the larger ships can not. Did you consider this at all?

With all the planning you did, is there anything you would do differently now that your are home? :rolleyes:

Nancy :)

Hi Nancy!

Thanks for taking time to read my review and comment. I have been to Alaska twice now, once in 2008 on Rhapsody OTS and this trip.

On Rhapsody we were supposed to go to Tracy Arm Fjord but it was too icy. Instead we diverted to Endicott Arm Fjord which the captain got special permission for. Normally only the smaller boats (with the huge price tags) go into those areas but we sure did go right up in there to where it felt like you could almost reach out & touch the Glacier.

There was a small boat behind us and the captain commented something to the effect of "Boy don't you know those folks are steaming... that company told them they are paying the big bucks because they can only get to these places on there smaller ships, then when they woke up & looked outside this morning, here we are closer up and in front of them!" Everyone got a laugh out of that.

I think the things that I would have done differently are:

* skipped the Adventure Karts excursion in Ketchikan in the morning

* skipped the HOHO bus in Vancouver & just rented a car - it would have been easier to go where we wanted & not spend so much time waiting on the next bus to come by

Other than those two I am happy with all the choices we made for this trip. Anything else I'll just have to save for my next trip to Alaska in another 5-10 years :)

Hi Nancy!

Thanks for taking time to read my review and comment. I have been to Alaska twice now, once in 2008 on Rhapsody OTS and this trip.

On Rhapsody we were supposed to go to Tracy Arm Fjord but it was too icy. Instead we diverted to Endicott Arm Fjord which the captain got special permission for. Normally only the smaller boats (with the huge price tags) go into those areas but we sure did go right up in there to where it felt like you could almost reach out & touch the Glacier.

There was a small boat behind us and the captain commented something to the effect of "Boy don't you know those folks are steaming... that company told them they are paying the big bucks because they can only get to these places on there smaller ships, then when they woke up & looked outside this morning, here we are closer up and in front of them!" Everyone got a laugh out of that.

I think the things that I would have done differently are:

* skipped the Adventure Karts excursion in Ketchikan in the morning

* skipped the HOHO bus in Vancouver & just rented a car - it would have been easier to go where we wanted & not spend so much time waiting on the next bus to come by

Other than those two I am happy with all the choices we made for this trip. Anything else I'll just have to save for my next trip to Alaska in another 5-10 years :)

Cindy, let me add my thank you also, you did a fantastic job! My hubby and I enjoyed following along, and I have added lots of extra notes for our upcoming trip in late August. I very much appreciated all your ornament info too, as I also have a "travel tree" :). Again, thank you so much for taking the time to do this, Kathy

The reserved seats for the Suite guests:

image_zpsb544296f.jpg

It's not mandatory that suite guests sit in these seats is it? Not that I'd ever be able to afford a suite on a cruise. What if the suite gues likes to sit closer to the stage?

It's not mandatory that suite guests sit in these seats is it? Not that I'd ever be able to afford a suite on a cruise. What if the suite gues likes to sit closer to the stage?

No it is not mandatory... not that I would know from experience :)

These seats are just reserved so that they can come in right up until show time & sit without having to come early like the rest of us to get a seat :cool:

These seats were up in the balcony, on other ships I've seen them down front so I guess it just depends on the ship.

Cindy, let me add my thank you also, you did a fantastic job! My hubby and I enjoyed following along, and I have added lots of extra notes for our upcoming trip in late August. I very much appreciated all your ornament info too, as I also have a "travel tree" :). Again, thank you so much for taking the time to do this, Kathy

Kathy, thanks for taking time to comment. I have fun each trip searching for my special ornaments. I try to find out ahead of time where the Christmas shops are so I don't waste too much time hunting one down.

Enjoy your cruise in August, you will have a great time!

Happy Sails!

I've been following along and wanted to say thank you very much for doing

this. You have been a wealth of information before you even left Texas. I

have enough information to start my own binder.

I am glad you had a great trip, I felt I was right there with you. Your

pictures were great and your savings tips....PRICELESS!

I wanted to let you know you helped me to push Alaska a few notches up

on my bucket list. I'm waiting for the 2015 booking to open.

Once again, thank you for letting me have an Alaskan adventure through

you.

No it is not mandatory... not that I would know from experience :)

These seats are just reserved so that they can come in right up until show time & sit without having to come early like the rest of us to get a seat :cool:

These seats were up in the balcony, on other ships I've seen them down front so I guess it just depends on the ship.

Nice to have to not worry about going early to the theatre if you don't want to.

I've been following along and wanted to say thank you very much for doing

this. You have been a wealth of information before you even left Texas. I

have enough information to start my own binder.

I am glad you had a great trip, I felt I was right there with you. Your

pictures were great and your savings tips....PRICELESS!

I wanted to let you know you helped me to push Alaska a few notches up

on my bucket list. I'm waiting for the 2015 booking to open.

Once again, thank you for letting me have an Alaskan adventure through

you.

Lady_mac,

Thanks for taking time to post. So glad I could give you a few good ideas & savings tips!

I think the Alaska itineraries come out in March each year for the following year.

Nice to have to not worry about going early to the theatre if you don't want to.

Don't think I'll ever be able to afford to find out :)

I personally would rather take a whole other cruise instead - unless of course I got a REALLY good deal or free upgrade think the JS is as high up as I'll ever get.

Cindy,

I wanted to know if your "job" involves photography? You should be hired by the cruise line to journal and photograph more cruises!!!! You did an amazing job on the planning, land and sea, etc. You are amazing. Thank you for the GREAT up-to-the-minute reports and GRAND photos.

Cindy,

I wanted to know if your "job" involves photography? You should be hired by the cruise line to journal and photograph more cruises!!!! You did an amazing job on the planning, land and sea, etc. You are amazing. Thank you for the GREAT up-to-the-minute reports and GRAND photos.

Wow, what a compliment! My dream job would be as a travel journalist... But in real life I do marketing for a local credit union.

I'm just a amateur photographer but I enjoy taking pictures and composing shots.

Thanks so much for your kind words. If you hear of any job openings that will pay me to travel & blog about it let me know! :D

Cindi ~ I'm reposting (think we overlapped when I posted). But, did you give any consideration to traveling on a smaller ship for Alaska? I have heard that the small boats get into areas that the larger cruise ships are unable to navigate.

We traveled on the Radiance before she was refurbished and love the size this class of ship - Serenade and Brilliance, too.

Thank you for such an indepth view of your planning and trip!

nancy:)

Cindi ~ I'm reposting (think we overlapped when I posted). But, did you give any consideration to traveling on a smaller ship for Alaska? I have heard that the small boats get into areas that the larger cruise ships are unable to navigate.

We traveled on the Radiance before she was refurbished and love the size this class of ship - Serenade and Brilliance, too.

Thank you for such an indepth view of your planning and trip!

nancy:)

Nancy, check post 538, I think she answered you in that posting :)