OCD Planner's Live ALASKA Photo Trip Report 16 day Cruise Tour aboard Radiance

I've been following along your wonderful trip and thoroughly enjoyed your posts and pictures. I have shown this to my DH as we have been thinking of an Alaskan cruise. Now we want to add the land tour on to it. All of your tips will help with the planning. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Thank you for investing so much time following along on my LONG & detailed trip report.

I'm happy that you found my information helpful. After all was said & done I probably would do another land cruise again but I'd be better prepared and not so stressed next time. It's awfully nice having someone handle the luggage, driving & hotel check-in & out :)

The only thing we had to figure out was what we wanted to eat!

Edited by ace1zoe2

Now that you are back and done, how did your Rick Steves luggage hold up? Easy to use, were you able to pack everything you bought for souvenirs in it for the way home. Did it seem to get heavy when carrying it?

I am about to order some but would love a real life experience recommendation for it. We are going to Alaska in September with a land tour before hand as well. Then next year we will be doing a 2 week Panama canal cruise. Would love to just have a carry on to do this.

You report was wonderful and even though we won't be doing all of the same things it will give us a lot to think about if we want to go back.

Now that you are back and done, how did your Rick Steves luggage hold up? Easy to use, were you able to pack everything you bought for souvenirs in it for the way home. Did it seem to get heavy when carrying it?

I am about to order some but would love a real life experience recommendation for it. We are going to Alaska in September with a land tour before hand as well. Then next year we will be doing a 2 week Panama canal cruise. Would love to just have a carry on to do this.

You report was wonderful and even though we won't be doing all of the same things it will give us a lot to think about if we want to go back.

Loved my new luggage. Very light weight and user friendly. We were packed very tight for 2 weeks in Alaska so no real room for souvenirs... we only collect Christmas ornaments so I had some shipped from North Pole, AK and purchased others thinking of my space constrictions. I had planned to carry them all onboard the flight home in a shopping bag but our friend had room in her luggage or carryon and offered to bring them home for me so I did that.

We are definitely sold on the carry-on only from now on. We will be doing the same thing in Europe next year for sure. We actually could have gotten by on fewer clothes by recycling. Both of us had items we didn't end up wearing at all. I had 2 shirts & a dress I never wore. Also only had my flip flops on once so could have left them at home too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS

Back on the first day when we boarded the ship I did a top to bottom photo tour of the Radiance of the Seas. I'm going to try to start at the top (Deck 13) and work my way down to the last public areas (Deck 4).

First up is Deck 13 which features the Viking Crown Lounge (no pictures), the Diamond & Concierge Clubs (no pictures) and the Star Quest Club:

IMG_7643_zps71f023f6.jpg

IMG_7645_zps4e257f7b.jpg

IMG_7646_zpsbd19ecb7.jpg

In the middle of the deck facing aft is the Rock Climbing Wall:

IMG_7639_zpsaba5139d.jpg

Outdoor art near the rock climbing wall:

IMG_7644_zps64058a6f.jpg

I was not happy about them redeploying our ship & changing the ports but after getting $400 OBC on top of the $150 we already had to move-over to the new itinerary I wasn't as disappointed as I originally was :)

Original Sailing – Venice to Barcelona – 10/27/14 to 11/06/14

10 nights

8 ports

2 sea days

Venice – overnight, Corfu, Kotor, Salerno, Rome, Florence/Pisa, Nice, Barcelona

Balcony $1349 for 10 nights (when booked, was up to $1849 now)

New Sailing – Rome to Barcelona - 10/29/14-11/6/14

8 nights

7 ports

1 sea day

Rome, Florence/Pisa, Nice, Corsica, Palma de Mallorca (Spain), Valencia (Spain), Barcelona – overnight

Balcony $999 for 8 nights

We went ahead and upgraded to a JS for the new sailing since hubby loved the one we had on this cruise. I know RCI is doing everything they can to keep everyone happy but I think it could have been handled better. In hindsight, they should have put all the booked rooms on hold and contacted everyone already booked to see if they wanted to move over or cancel first, before releasing the rooms for general sale.

There were already 10 or so people on our roll call that had B2B booked in the same cabins, the aft cabins, hump balconies, etc. that aren't going to be available now. The aft cabin I had booked was already gone. Luckily though I snagged the JS 1100 on the aft corner so I was REALLY happy... but I'm positive someone else is going to be really mad. Luckily I learned about the change early & was on the phone 3 times this weekend trying to get things worked out. We'll just have to do Venice another time :)

You are going to LOVE 1100!! We had that on the Radiance for our Alaska cruise. We love junior suites too. Don't you hate when a cruise gets cancelled. That's happened to us 3 times on RCCL. We're always glad for the compensation too, but what a pain to get everything rebooked.

Some friends of ours just got off a Celebrity med. cruise on Saturday. Her guide in Rome did not have them pre-purchase the Vatican tickets and so they waited in line in the rain for 2 solid hours. Their hotel in Rome was the Holiday Inn and the beds were horrible. They tried to sleep crossways on it (I'm assuming to keep from rolling into the middle). She said it was an old hotel.

So how soon did you book your 2014 Med cruise? Do they start booking 1 year in advance for those?

At the aft of the ship is the MINI-GOLF which wraps around the back of the ship.

IMG_7641_zpsfd9e9b21.jpg

IMG_7642_zpsc7e930e7.jpg

Next up is DECK 12 where all the way forward is the Fitness Center:

IMG_7623_zpsa2047af1.jpg

IMG_7624_zpsd69e0849.jpg

IMG_7625_zps07b9c683.jpg

Then the solarium cover, then open to the pool area below and the sky bar follows that:

IMG_7631_zps3f294642.jpg

Deck 12 Continued:

Mid ship is the Crown & Anchor Lounge (where the Loyalty Ambassador is available to meet with guest with appointments to book future cruises, answer questions, purchase Onboard Booking Certificates, etc.). This is also the area where the "big hole in the floor" is that looks down all the way to deck 4. I previously posted pictures of that so I won't post them again here.

IMG_7633_zpsefec94b9.jpg

Next up just aft of center deck is the kids/teens areas. The Optix Teen Disco is next door to the C&A Lounge:

image_zpsdf55b8dc.jpg

Followed by the kid's club, the nursery and the younger kids:

image_zps5229c699.jpg

image_zpsd0c9188e.jpg

The sports court:

image_zps2f4972aa.jpg

Edited by ace1zoe2

image_zps05d6b076.jpg

Adventure Beach & Kids Pool:

image_zpsbdb30935.jpg

At the very aft of the 12th deck is the Video Arcade:

image_zps79b9adb0.jpg

image_zps10ac396b.jpg

On the port side aft is the Samba Grill. You have to go outside in the weather (heat, wind, rain, etc, to get there:

IMG_7635_zps9d4f1c35.jpg

IMG_7636_zpsfadcdf03.jpg

And some outdoor seating:

IMG_7637_zpsfff30164.jpg

That finishes out DECK 12.

So now we'll move on down to DECK 11 FORWARD where the DAY SPA & FITNESS CENTER are located. This also includes a HAIR SALON, THERMAL SUITES, A QUIET ROOM, MASSAGE ROOMS, MEN'S & WOMEN'S LOCKER ROOMS & SHOWERS:

IMG_7620_zps1f282aae.jpg

IMG_7621_zps34f1c6df.jpg

IMG_7622_zps377f36c9.jpg

image_zps651f8eb0.jpg

image_zpsc70f08fe.jpg

Edited by ace1zoe2

image_zps28bf1f4b.jpg

Following the day spa you arrive at the SOLARIUM (one of my favorite places!) It is climate controlled, quiet, lots of cushioned seating, has a hot tub, swimming pool, etc.

image_zps912029fc.jpg

image_zps7d27918e.jpg

IMG_7619_zps953ac51d.jpg

IMG_7618_zps851121af.jpg

IMG_7614_zps67daedda.jpg

Was anyone swimming in the outdoor pools? Do you know if the slide was open?

It looks so nice! Can't wait to see the ship in person on Friday.

The outdoor pools were packed! The slide in the kids area had a sign that said it was open 11-2 on Sea Days, weather permitting.

You are going to LOVE 1100!! We had that on the Radiance for our Alaska cruise. We love junior suites too. Don't you hate when a cruise gets cancelled. That's happened to us 3 times on RCCL. We're always glad for the compensation too, but what a pain to get everything rebooked.

So how soon did you book your 2014 Med cruise? Do they start booking 1 year in advance for those?

This was the first time we've ever hd cruise get cancelled, but the compensation was nice.

We originally booked for the Med in March 2013 for Oct 2014. I believe the bookings open mid-to-late March for the following year.

The Park Cafe was located just inside the Solarium:

IMG_7609_zps86e9bed5.jpg

IMG_7610_zps07ef19eb.jpg

Mid ship on DECK 11 is the POOL BAR, MAIN POOL, OUTDOOR MOVIE SCREEN & HOT TUBS as well as all the coveted DECK CHAIRS:

IMG_7605_zpsf110fab0.jpg

IMG_7604_zpsc1f7864d.jpg

IMG_7606_zps988863a1.jpg

IMG_7607_zps0ce6766d.jpg

IMG_7608_zpsfa498883.jpg

AFT DECK 11 is where all the food is! You have the BOARDWALK DOG HOUSE which is complimentary (free):

image_zps4345df84.jpg

image_zps724febae.jpg

image_zpsf36db6e0.jpg

IZUMI Asian Cuisine which has a $2 per person cover charge. The Edamame is complimentary. Everything else is charged by what you order from $2-$10 per item for things such as Sushi, Soup, Fish/Seafood on top of Rice, California Rolls, Hot Rock where you cook your meat at the table and more:

IMG_7599_zpsa9e52e40.jpg

image_zps418760f9.jpg

Edited by ace1zoe2

IZUMI is at the back of the WINDJAMMER on the right hand side. RITA'S CANTINA is located at the back of the WJ on the left hand side. RITA's is also paid venue. There is a $3 per person cover charge which includes chips and salsa. Everything else is charged by what you order. I think prices are between $2 - $6 for Enchiladas Burritos & Fajitas.

IMG_7601_zps101b5e86.jpg

IMG_7602_zpsb50cf145.jpg

If you walk completely thru Izumi or Rita's you can go to an outside seating area at the very aft of the ship. So if the Windjammer is packed and you don't mind sitting outside on a sunny day, it's a great place to go that not many people even know is there!

The WINDJAMMER is the cruise buffet which is free. It is open for Breakfast, Lunch, Afternoon Snacks and Dinner. They close for just a short period of time between each just long enough to switch out the food and labels. The actual sitting area & drinks are still open while all of this is going on, they just rope off the food areas they are working on.

IMG_7603_zps7a000910.jpg

IMG_7580_zps2a761ebe.jpg

IMG_7591_zps557e9f34.jpg

IMG_7592_zps697c69cc.jpg

Last week they had hand carved roast beef sandwiches every time I went by.

I don't doubt you at all... It just wasn't anything I was looking for so I probably just didn't even notice it. I had the quesadilla both times I went :)