Dream Western Med 2 weeks May 2013

Sorry for the delay but we arrived back late saturday afternoon from a wonderful 2 weeks on the Dream.

Despite Delyth developing a chest infection halfway through we still had a great time.

If we had not been pre warned about the underwhelming Platinum Upgrade we would have notice no difference in her from when we were aboard 3 years ago apart from the TV and 2nd hand kettle in the cabin. But we saw they had re upholstered the sofa, but otherwise the cabin was identical to when we were aboard last.

We noticed some re-upholstery to chairs in the Medusa Lounge and they had extended the the theme of the wicker effect chairs in the Lido Buffet to the outside seating area and they have installed a canopy over the outside dining area.

But on to the cruise experience itself.

The staff and crew were really hard working and could not do enough for you, especially the Orion waiters who were there in the evenings and up in the buffet in the mornings, with just a few hours off in the afternoons. For the 1st time we stayed with the same waiter team throughout the cruise for our evening meal and had excellent service off them. Food was good to very good and always hot.

Delyth did have an experience with half cooked fish fillet for the main course on 2 occasions early on in the cruise but that was changed immedeately. All other menu items were fine. She did not try the fish again.

Lido and Siren's Buffet, we found the food to be good, but again they still have food temperature problems. Varying between nice and hot to warm enough to eat. But this is not the 1st buffet we have had these problems with.

The man at the Egg Station outside the Lido Buffet does a great omelette at breakfast. Cruise Director was Bram Lorenz we had a long chat at the sailaway party, what a nice pleasant young man. And he was great at his job.

The entertainment team were very good on the whole. The theatre showteam were excellent, probably the best we have had. They did one show with songs from Cabaret, Chicago and Les Mis was so good we watched both showings.

the duo of female vocalist with male pianist was excellent also, singing popular music tunes in the Ocean bar.

As were the classical duo of violinist and keyboard accomianist in the Argo Lounge.

The weak spot was the group Strum Jam. Instrumentally they played well and the lead singer was good, but we felt the rest of the group weak vocally.

There had been Norovirus aboard before we were on and still a few cases when we were on, but saw no signs of it. they were busy continuously cleaning surfaces down. We had "assisted service" in the buffet most of the fortnight and there were extra hand sanitisers out all over the ship especially outside the toilets.

I like the new canopy outside the buffet, over the outside dining area, I like sitting out in the warm and sun but not in the direct sunlight, and this provides a nice shaded area. Talking of this area they are still having trouble with sooty flecks landing on the open rear end of the Lido deck around the pool

The 2 itineraries we did were Treasures of the Med and Highlights of the Med.

Calling at Trapani, Sicily. Sorrento, Civitavecchia for Rome. Calvi, Corsica. Palamos, Spain. Back to Palma and then Ajaccio, Civitavecchia, Livorno, St. Raphael. ( Well we should have gone there but it was too rough to anchor as the anchorage is too exposed.) So we went to Villefranche instead. And finally Barcelona.

The weather was dry, hot and sunny all fortnight, but the wind was very cold every day apart from Sorrento and Villefranche when it was hot and sunny.

It was dangerous weather as despite feeling cool the sun was burning hot. So you needed sun cream every day plus your coat. You should see us on the prom in Palamos, sun cream, sun hats, sunglasses and jackets on.

With Delyth being unwell and we had booked most of our excursions online I want to say a big thank you to Marco and Ped and Natalie in the Destination Services team aboard. They cancelled our big trips and re arranged easier half day trips for us that Delyth could do when feeling better.

She insisted I do the Classical Sights and Vatican City one, so I went on my own. It was weird, the 1st time I have been off on an excursion on my own for over 32 years. Mind you it was so busy in the Vatican and Sistine Chapel and up and down steps we don't think Delyth could have done it healthy, never mind ill.

Berwyn

Welcome home Berwyn :) Glad you had a good time. Hope Delyth is feeling better. A little bird tells me you have some fabulous photos :p:p

they are being very complimentary about my humble snaps Linda. We're both feeling better thanks. Thank goodness for civilised Spanish chemists that will sell you antibiotics over the counter. 1 full week's course for 1 person 2.5 Euro. bargain.

I had chest infection 3 weeks before going and it flared up a bit while aboard. Delyth is much better thanks but still not 100% but she was back in work today.

I'll get them on Photobucket soon as i can

Berwyn

You've brought some very happy memories of time spent on the Dream back for me Berwyn. :) So glad you had such a good time but sorry Delyth succumbed to a chest infection - I think the aircon especially on planes has a lot to answer for - we've found we sometimes end up with a cough. Anyway hope she is soon feeling on top form again.

Yes I like the changes to the Lido deck too - lovely to sit in some shade if you want to and absolutely great for a late night drink in the Caribbean as it's so balmy in the evenings! Those shows with excerpts from Les Mis etc are the best imo - we never tire of them and they do such a great job - I can understand why you'd want to watch it twice. It's good to know the show team are in good form too.

Thanks for the review Berwyn - it's good to hear from you and I enjoyed reading it very much. I'm very much looking forward to your pics on Photobucket too. :)

Archived