Any experience with behind the scenes tours?

This comes from my current and onging review that talks about our Behind The Fun Experience. The entire review can be found listed in my signature line below...

Fun Day @ Sea #2

Today we awoke up with at first felt like a nice, lazy feeling knowing that we didn’t have to be up with the sun, or before, as we were at sea and aside from grazing at the buffet throughout the day, what else was there to do?

OH CRAP – We booked the Behind The Fun Tour!!

232323232%7Ffp543%3A8%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D365%3A624%3B%3B4348nu0mrj

I had read so many great things about this experience and had had never done so before so it only made sense that we take the tour during this cruise; I also heard that the tour fills up fast and that they only allow groups of no more than 14. So the very first thing we did when getting on board was to run over to the excursion desk and book the tour.

After getting our tickets I inquired as to just how many had booked thus far (as if we were to be counted amongst the lucky ones who already had). Boy was I surprised when the response I received was a mere two fingers in the form of a peace sign that turned into a singular finger pointer aimed right at the two of us; good thing we rushed to sign up. I quickly scanned the tickets and saw what I believed to the correct date (the second sea day) and time (10 AM); well I got the date right…..

It is now the second sea day and it was now around 8:15 AM, so I casually opened the safe to retrieve the tickets when it suddenly dawned on me…OH DOUBLE CRAP – I Read The Wrong Time!! What I read a few days ago was 10:00 AM, what was actually printed on the tickets was tour starts PROMPTLY at 9:00 AM and please arrive at the meeting place (Billie’s Bar) at 8:45…..TRIPLE CRAP – We Only Have 30-Minutes To Get Our Asses In Gear And Our Faces Fed!!

I know I took some kind of shower, ate while on the buffet line right out of the serving trays and gulped down someone’s coffee just as the poured it (KIDDING…but I did shower) and ran the rest of the way to Billie’s Bar walking in at around 8:50 only to find a generous supply of danish, coffee, and juices set up for us as well as a dozen other people. After signing in we received our instructions that included that one had to have closed toed shoes, have no cameras or phones, and be able to climb as we would be moving about the ship literally behind the scenes utilizing some of the more secretive passageways and stairwell (ladders). We were all issued a special pass that hung on a neck lanyard and then screened with a hand wand by a security guard who was looking for cameras and such. None were found and we began our tour at 0900 – Sharp!

Obviously as no cameras were allowed I do not have any pictures, however I will briefly highlight some of our tours stops. We started off in the backstage area of the Follies Theater where we saw where the dancers and other performers make their quick changes during the show. It was then off to “A” deck and the main corridor that runs the entire length of the ship that has been dubbed as “I-95” and appropriately so as it was full of traffic. We were shown many of the storage areas for dry goods, food, liquor, as well as the trash area. We went through the laundry area where we were shown the incredibly high capacity washer/dryers as well as a sheet folding machine demonstration. We saw the crew quarters area, training classroom, and lounge area.

During our visit to the Engine Control Room my Bride had an opportunity to speak with the Chief Engineer about absolutely nothing related to his job but from where he was from and that was Bari, Italy which is where her maternal Grandmother was born. Of course their conversation touched her deeply leaving her in tears when he talked so affectionately about Bari as he would be taking a train ride home during our stop in Livorno; if she could have gone to she would have.

232323232%7Ffp54363%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D365%3A6384%3C2348nu0mrj

Our visit to the galley included a carving demonstration that allowed us to each make our own flower out of carrots and a radish. The galley itself incredibly organized and ran with machine-like precision and was IMPECABLY CLEAN! We met with the Head Chef and had a group photo taken. We were also taken up to the Bridge where we were given a brief description of some of the duties and responsibilities of the Bridge Crew. The Master/Captain of the vessel then made an appearance and spoke to us for several minutes.

I asked about a rumor that LEGEND would also not be staying in Tampa for long as she was heading to Australia to replace the SPIRIT that is currently there. My presumption was that the two ships would virtually change places and that would assure that Tampa would have no less than two Carnival Ships – The Paradise and now Spirit. Turns out that the “rumor” was only half right as Legend would indeed be going to Australia however the Spirit would not be coming back any time soon. As for a “replacement” ship for Legend in Tampa, he could not say although I suspect that he was unable to.

232323232%7Ffp73488%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D365%3A6384%3B%3B348nu0mrj

We then headed off for the Golden Fleece Restaurant where we were treated to an incredible 7-course lunch…..NOT!! We did get a glass of champagne, a bar of soap shaped like a large swan (we all thought it was white chocolate) and were asked to fill out a survey. After what turned out to be close to 3.5 hours we surrendered our passes but were given a gift bag that consisted of a Carnival pouch, hat, the lanyard, and rubber bracelet thingy. Overall I would give the tour a Grade-A and recommend that everyone take it sooner than later, just be sure to check your tickets BEFORE the day of the tour!

The rest of the day consisted of just relaxing poolside and such and of course the second elegant night. Before dinner we stopped by the atrium bar to grab a drink where we were serenaded by the guitar player/singer who recalled our 30th Wedding Anniversary (M&M) T-Shirts from sail away day as well as our “names” Bud & Doll that we call one another.

232323232%7Ffp734%3A2%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D365%3A636637348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54364%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D365%3A635%3B92348nu0mrj

He played Eric Clapton’s “You Look Wonderful Tonight” as we took to the dance floor and suddenly, and oddly realizing that we were the only couple dancing and those around us began to applaud giving us a truly romantic and somewhat embarrassing moment; one that we shall never forget!

232323232%7Ffp54377%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D365%3A624%3B%3B5348nu0mrj

LIGHTS OUT!!

And as Always,

Ciao For Now!!

Did behind the fun on the Glory 5 day two years ago for $95 and enjoyed it. NO CAMERAS we were wanded by security. Spent 3.5 hours on the tour with only ONE break in the training office where we sat down and were allowed to go to the bathroom.

They even opened a lifeboat for us to look in at then on the Bow to see the crew whirlpool as well as this is the group photo shot. Then backstage, women dressing room, on stage, then down pass the morgue and brig, laundry, stopped for awhile at the photographers office saw them printing photos. Engine Control Room (Security magically appeared) Crew galley, Crew Mess, Staff Mess, Officer's Mess, Captains Dining room, Training Office (break), Galley, Prep rooms, bakery, freezers/refrigerators (walk in). Bridge, we were rushed here as we were in total fog 0% visibility. Because of that extra watch standers and a helmsman at the wheel of the ship per international law when in fog condition, just in case he can turn the ship at the last minute (Titanic music play please). Supposed to have picture with Captain but all upper officers at meeting.

Ended in the Steakhouse, saw gallery of that then sat down to fill to survey and get string bag, marmoset or OJ to drink. Pictures and gift from executive chief (chocolate covered strawberries in state room.

On Glory again in August won't do the tour but next time on different class ship I might just do it again. FWIW

I just did the tour just two weeks ago on the Valor and loved it! Like others have posted..the cost was $95. I booked as soon as I got on the ship. They had two groups..one at 8:45 AM and mine was at 9:15 AM. My group was about 10 people.

We did not go below the water line..you actually tour the "I-95" portion of the ship which is on deck 0 (the deck you disembark when you leave the ship at the ports) which is actually at water level which they tell you.

We had coffee juice and refreshments when gathering before the tour and once again during a break. No cameras are allowed at all. Closed in footware must be worn. Each area was presented by a leader/manager of that particular department. Here's where we went (trying to remember it all)...

Muster stations

Extreme forward portion of ship to see the bell and enormous anchor and to waive up to captain on bridge (we later met him)

On stage to meet with Tech Manager

Behind stage in dressing rooms to meet with performance manager and to see all the costumes

walked by the brigg and the morgue

walked entire length of I-95 to see, HR department/crew training area, crew lounge, crew dining areas, environmental area, meat locker, beverage area, laundry area (got to feed towels through the folder), engine control room, storage for mattresses and other items for cabins

Headed to galley to meet with head chef and got to also make some flowers out of vegies

Tour of the bridge and met with captain and had photo taken with him

(great time to ask the captain questions)

Meeting with head chef of steakhouse

Highly recommend it..lasted four hours..lots of walking and going up and down lots of stairs.

Received same "goodies" as others mentioned above.

Behind the Fun was the highlight of my cruise! It was absolutely enthralling to me (being an engineer) to see how they run the ship, meet the chief engineer, see the bridge .. Even laundry is interesting when you see a machine that uses belts to press and fold bedsheets at "almost 40mph".

I'm guessing that Cruizinman was on a galley only tour, because they wanded us with metal detectors at the start, before entering the engineering room, and before the bridge.

We did the behind the fun tour on the Fascination-55 (for Fantasy class) through the gallery (I had no idea there was that much ketchup in the world, but they strongly believe we Americans eat it on everything) -our tour was just like all the ones mentioned BUT we were totally fascinated by the laundry-it was like a Steven King Book, (if you know early King you will know which one I mean, where the machines take over and attack) the one part of the tour that I didn't like was the behind the stage-it was way too apparent that our guide had a big crush on one of the theater people, and they were gushing over each other for way , WAY too long. To the point where it truly was un professional. We loved the bridge-got to talk with the staff up there, how high were the waves, what do they do for rough seas, etc, we got strawberries, a hat, a lanyard, I wear the hat, the lanyard , no. And I love the picture of the Captain and us on the bridge, even more so because we had some of our roll call on the tour, and now I will always have a picture of our friends.

Our group was wanded by security before the tour began and the flyer the Shore Excursions desk gave when we purchased said no cameras. They were very serious in checking and as I have read on other threads if a camera or cel phones found on you, or you did not have the right type of shoes (Ie sandals instead of close toed shoes which you need to wear on the tour) you would be set back to your cabin.

While on the Paradise I kept a blog on Funville for family at home. Here is an excerpt regarding the tour to give anyone considering it a taste of what you will see (this was written Friday night on the ship).

We started by receiving our special access lanyards and badges and then headed into the main galley where the head chef talked to us about how the meals are prepared and showed a couple chefs in action. We also got a treat of cookies and chocolate covered strawberries. Next we headed down to the engine control room where the officer i charge explained how the engines worked and how they monitor them and everything. We also headed down to the laundry room where all the sheets, towels, and napkins are washed. Their washers and driers are huge (one washer can hold 400 towels) They also have an iron and folding machine for the sheets which takes care of both jobs in one run. Once we were all feeling like we were spending time in one of the spa's steam rooms we moved on to the store room and meat locker. (nice little cool down) We saw all the soda, beer, and meat they were getting ready for the next cruise and one of the men started telling the store room manager where his cabin was so the beer could be delivered. We also visited the area where garbage gets sorted, and the area where our luggage will be going tomorrow morning. Next we moved onto the one of the staff mess halls where we took a small break. During this time our guide answered any questions we had regarding the crew and how they lived and worked on the ship. Next we moved onto the main mess hall and again talked a bit about crew life. We passed through I95 (the main corridor that spans the length of the ship similar to the Scotland Road that was on the Titanic) and eventually got to the crew laundry. While there our guide pointed out where the brig was, although we couldn't see it. Next we moved into the crew lounge and saw a few crew members doing safety training and talked a bit more about crew life and what they did in their off time. We got to see the very front of the ship and some of the crew outer decks before heading back stage in the Normandy Lounge. Back here we learned how the shows were put on every night and even got to see inside one of the dressing rooms. Next it was on to the last stop. The Bridge. Our guide explained a bit how things worked on the bridge and let us see where the captain stands when docking the ship before we went over and talked to on e of the bridge officers and saw how they kept the ship on course. After a few minutes of Q&A and learning all about how they steer the ship Captain Julian Rosa himself came in to greet us. We spent a few minutes talking to the captain and they we all lined up with him for a picture. Once that was done we walked back out and headed down to the American bar on the Promenade deck. We were asked to complete a short survey asking what we thought of the tour and were presented with hats and pamphlets with information about the ship and the recipe for Warm Chocolate melting Cake!

Our group was wanded by security before the tour began and the flyer the Shore Excursions desk gave when we purchased said no cameras. They were very serious in checking and as I have read on other threads if a camera or cel phones found on you, or you did not have the right type of shoes (Ie sandals instead of close toed shoes which you need to wear on the tour) you would be set back to your cabin.

On our tour the guide had a backpack and put any cell phones in it (no one came with a camera). One person was sent back to her cabin to change her shoes.

I can't recommend the BtF Tour highly enough! It was one of THE highlights of my cruise on Imagination ($55) and almost as much of a highlight on Liberty ($95). I think the delineation on price is whether the ship has a steakhouse or not.

Due to having a better (and more easily understood) tour guide on Imagination I actually 'got more' out of that tour than the other, longer tour, but the tour on Liberty DID include more places, like the morgue, the brig and a look into a crew cabin. Either time was worth the price.

Archived