Driving 12 hours with kids - would you do it?

minerva78

We live right outside of Charlotte, NC and it takes about 12 hours with all the stops we make....I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old.....we've been making the trip to miami since our youngest was 18 months...we have portable DVD players so they watch movies....we bring snacks....they have leap pad games(kind of like an ipad but for kids) I can't see spending the money to fly unless it was a great deal...its cheaper for us to drive....pay for the gas and a week parking so there for I can't see doing it....On the drive home, we go to guest services and explain our long drive and they give us zone 2 tags and we are usually off the boat by 830am and on the road by 9.....We are doing the breeze in September and I can't wait!! Goodluck with your cruise!!!

We live in Greensboro, so that's good to know you've made the trip pretty well from Charlotte with young kids. :)

We have driven from California to New Orleans twice, with 3 kids in the car:eek:

First times was get on Inspiration and the second was to get on Conquest, it was a long tiring rid, kids slept most of the way, we gave ourselves time to stop at Grand Canyon and everywhere in between. That was back in around 2000...then we drove to Galveston in November for triumph, a much easier drive but still tiring, it was much more cost effective for 7 driving then 7 flying during thanksgiving....but I think next time, ill just spend the extra money and fly...I'm getting to old for this.

There's nothing wrong with it if you can handle it. Depends on your kids. Growing up we did trips like this (and longer) every Summer and sometimes in the Spring. And back then my dad didn't even want to turn on the A/C to save on gas!! :p I think because I took sooo many roadtrips as a kid, I just can't anymore. I have a 5 hour limit with our without the kids. If you break it up, it won't be that bad for you though if you don't mind the driving.

I'm jealous that you're only a 12-hour drive from the Breeze. :) We drove 20+ hours to the Magic this year with three children, the youngest age four, because the flight would have cost as much as the cruise. We'd already driven 20 hours to Florida the year before, so we knew we could manage it. They had already practiced with ten hour drives to visit grandparents.

Our kids don't have a lot of tv time at home, so they love watching movies on a portable dvd player. We pack things like sticker books and Mad Libs and play the ABC game. We also stop places where they can run around and play, and then feed them lunch in the car while we drive.

The Magic and Breeze both have fun areas for kids and parents to play together -- sports deck and waterpark -- so they're both great choices for a family vacation, IMO. And I agree that port-intensive cruises can be overwhelming for young children. My four-year-old really needed down time after two days touring ports.

I'm still having a hard time deciding what to do for a family cruise next year. I think a 5 day Bahamas would be best for a first cruise for our girls, my husband really wants to do a 7 day Western Caribbean, which I wonder if it will be too port intensive for a first cruise with a 5 and 6 year old, even though I know I would like it again.

So one option I found is a 6 day on the Breeze that goes to Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel and has 2 sea days. This would probably be a perfect cruise for us - hubby gets part of his western itinerary, the girls would have more low key days, and I could get to experience this new ship. :) Problem is, going to Miami, it's a 12 hour drive. My oldest is not the best at car rides, but by then they would have their own iPad and my other girl could use mine, so I know that can keep them occupied for several hours. Flights for the 4 of us I think would be too expensive. Normally I would just do a 5 day out of Tampa, but that ship doesn't have balconies, and having a balcony to go to would be important for me.

Would you do a 12 hour car ride for this itinerary on the Breeze, or am I just insane for even thinking about driving that far with young kids?

OH PLEASE! I have done it,numerous times, and will probably do it again...with 5 kids! Granted ours are older-19, 17, 14, 9 and 5, but we did long car rides when they were younger as well.

Also driven longer than 12 hours...honestly, if you time it right that isn't that bad. It's about a 17 hour drive from our house in VA to Port Canaveral. We left around 5 pm, and were there by 10 the next morning. The kids slept most of the time, light traffic. And though my husband and I were exhausted we were able to check in early at our hotel, and we got some sleep while our older boys took the younger ones to the pool.

So, short answer...it ain't that bad.

Go for it. We've done long trips with our kids every year since they were born (they are 7 and 9 now). Longest we've done is about 12 hours but they did great. We try to keep it to a max of 8 or 9 hours but have found that if you take enough breaks so they can get out and play a bit it works out well. They have their ipods, books, games, etc and the truck has a DVD player so they can usually stay occupied. A great game of I Spy helps kill some time and we usually get our meals to go which also keeps them occupied for a while. Going there will be easier because they'll be excited about the trip, returning home may be a little tougher. Good or bad it will certainly create some memories they and you'll look back on. Take a copy of National Lampoon's Vacation (clean version) for some entertainment on the ride!

I'm starting to think today's young parents could never have survived traveling with kids in the 50's and 60's, when I grew up. Back then we sang songs, read books, kept track of all the different license plates we saw and overall had a great time on long trips. There were 4 of us kids all crammed in the backseat of an old Oldsmobile. And all without DVD players, Ipads, Ipods or video games. Those were the good ole' days.

I am one of "today's young parents" and while we use electronics to help entertain our kids, we certainly do not take it for granted. As a child, my family (4 kids) used to pack up the station wagon and spend 4 days driving across Canada to visit relatives. We played the games, sang the songs, etc (as I do with my own kids), but I can tell you it all got boring after so many hours. I would have loved if there was such thing as a portable dvd player back then, to watch a movie for a couple of hours along the way, and I'm sure my parents would have been thankful for the break as well!

Well, I live in Va and I'm planning for the first time traveling with 2 kids ages 3 and 6 to Miami this coming August. I also have someone on my roll call that is driving from Upstate NY with 2 kids ages 12 and 5. So I would do it. Just make sure you have things that will help entertain them and prepare to take some rest stops so they can stretch and release some energy.

I'm not looking forward to the road trip because the older I get 40's the less I like to drive but it sure beats paying the hassle of luggage restrictions and the price of airplane tickets as well as delays. If it was just DH and I. Then airplane it would be.

12 hours is just about my max to drive. It's that far to Denver (done it), NOLA and Mobile, oh and ND state border mile marker 1. For me an audiobook helps. Going if you leave at 3 or 4 pm then you can stop for dinner and they can sleep most of the way - OR leave at noon and you get to your hotel around midnight which is perfect if you can find one to leave the car.

Going home you would be in the car all day unless you can spend part of the day in Miami. There's lots of ways to try it. I had a friend and her family would stop at a Roadside stop just before NOLA for showers and hair fixing before boarding the ship.

You will be able to carry on drinks easily if you drive. You will have a great time. You might check and see if the 7 day Dream is close to the same price. 3-4 hours closer.

I'm still having a hard time deciding what to do for a family cruise next year. I think a 5 day Bahamas would be best for a first cruise for our girls, my husband really wants to do a 7 day Western Caribbean, which I wonder if it will be too port intensive for a first cruise with a 5 and 6 year old, even though I know I would like it again.

So one option I found is a 6 day on the Breeze that goes to Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel and has 2 sea days. This would probably be a perfect cruise for us - hubby gets part of his western itinerary, the girls would have more low key days, and I could get to experience this new ship. :) Problem is, going to Miami, it's a 12 hour drive. My oldest is not the best at car rides, but by then they would have their own iPad and my other girl could use mine, so I know that can keep them occupied for several hours. Flights for the 4 of us I think would be too expensive. Normally I would just do a 5 day out of Tampa, but that ship doesn't have balconies, and having a balcony to go to would be important for me.

Would you do a 12 hour car ride for this itinerary on the Breeze, or am I just insane for even thinking about driving that far with young kids?

We have driven 24 hours for at least 3 of our cruises. Plus 2 - 24 hour drives to FL for land vacations. We drove 14 hours for 1 cruise (and repeated that same trip the next year when we cancelled that cruise when we got to NY due to a death in the family) and we drove 16 hours to Myrtle Beach last year. My DS's first trip to FL for a wedding was 24 hours when he was 2 (and I was pregnant DD).

DH prefers to drive. I prefer to fly. Kids are now 16 and 19 and have been excellant travellers their whole life. They like both flying and driving. If I can find a good deal we fly, if not we build in enough time in our schedule to drive. We have 2 cruises planned this summer and fall. I have not purchased air tickets yet because I have found the best rates are usually about 2 months out. I'm hoping to find some deals.

DS has a laptop to keep him occupied. DD has her iPod. I have a tablet. We play travel games (look some up on the internet) and make stops when we need to. I pack snacks and drinks so we don't need to stop for that. If it is during the school year then the kids worked on getting homework done. Driving to FL usually involved and overnight at a hotel....having said that we now have 4 with DL so we may not need to do that anymore:D. I'm still hoping to get those airline tickets though;).

I'm starting to think today's young parents could never have survived traveling with kids in the 50's and 60's, when I grew up. Back then we sang songs, read books, kept track of all the different license plates we saw and overall had a great time on long trips. There were 4 of us kids all crammed in the backseat of an old Oldsmobile. And all without DVD players, Ipads, Ipods or video games. Those were the good ole' days.

We still did all the things you did on our trips....we just have the additional distractions of laptops, ipods, and nintendo ds the last 5 years or so. I don't have a problem mixing it up a bit if it keeps everyone happy and occupied on a long trip :D.

DH and I are planning to do just that this November. We're driving with DD (6) and DS (3) from MN to Galveston for the Magic. We were planning to split it up into two days (leaving after school on Friday.) But, now I'm thinking we should have DD skip school on Friday and leave at 0400 to allow for more breaks and entertainment stops.

Wow, I applaude all of you brave enough to travel long distances with children, I cannot even do it without children. Although I like to drive and did lots of it when I was younger, my husband is a rage driver (he thinks no one else knows how to drive-he used to drag race) and it is terrifying for me to be in the passenger seat and If I drive I do it all wrong according to him. With all that being said, We have found for just the two of us, it is cheaper for us to fly. On a good day my car will get 18 miles to the gallon and I have to use premium gas, on a 1200 mile trip that is $270 just in gas one way. Last year we flew from Chicago to Tampa for $198pp round trip, with no baggage fees but had to pay for parking which was only $80 for the week.

The drive to the cruise is always wonderful, Its the drive back that is the killer--

Wow, I applaude all of you brave enough to travel long distances with children, I cannot even do it without children. Although I like to drive and did lots of it when I was younger, my husband is a rage driver (he thinks no one else knows how to drive-he used to drag race) and it is terrifying for me to be in the passenger seat and If I drive I do it all wrong according to him. With all that being said, We have found for just the two of us, it is cheaper for us to fly. On a good day my car will get 18 miles to the gallon and I have to use premium gas, on a 1200 mile trip that is $270 just in gas one way. Last year we flew from Chicago to Tampa for $198pp round trip, with no baggage fees but had to pay for parking which was only $80 for the week.

The drive to the cruise is always wonderful, Its the drive back that is the killer--

DH and I flew to Tampa last year even though we could have driven the 10 hours. We just figured we'd break even if we flew rather than drive. And if it were just DH and I, flying wouldn't be an issue. It's just those two extra tickets that are throwing us off. :). The drive back is why I would probably break it up by staying at a hotel about half way, the driving the other half the next day.

Right now I think I may possibly plan to book the trip on the Breeze, and when prices for flights and rental cars come out, we'll compare then. DH and I would probably prefer a 7 day western Caribbean, for me on the Dream (which we haven't done) for him on the Legend (which we have done) because we'd love to go to visit Roatan again. But I told DH he needs to think about whether or not he'd really want to go by ourselves or with our kids! Even with staying on the ship in Belize, I wonder if those itineraries may be a bit much for a first cruise for our girls. So that's why the Breeze itinerary is so good, if it weren't this pesky thing about sailing out of Miami, lol. I do feel better to know so many people drive long distances with their kids. It gives me hope that my kids may do just fine! Hopefully I'd do just fine too.

We're driving from Indiana to Port Canaveral this spring, and to Jacksonville this fall. We try to drive at night as much as possible while they are asleep. My kids are 6, 4, and 2. 5 airline tickets plus the cost of checked luggage is way more than I am willing to spend.

Kindles, movies, snacks, stickers, anything to pass the time. :)

If you are going to drive to Florida, take your kids to Disney. JMHO I really don't understand the need to take kids on cruises, they don't appreciate good food, can't gamble and are around drunks all the time. A vacation as a family should be about spending time as a family, not dropping kids off at camp carnival all day. If you are going to takes kids on vacation let it be their vacation, not yours. Now light me up.

My kids get pretty excited about cruising and have never asked to go to Disney. My kids aren't at all commercialized though, which may be the simple explanation. They get excited about seeing new places and we spend lots of time together ( the 40hrs in the van for starters). They LOVE karaoke, relaxing, making new friends in camp ( the younger ones), dressing up for dinner, they have tried escargot and poi. They are planning on making a music video on our next cruise. The ones that are too young to appreciate fine food certainly appreciate 24 hour ice cream. Works for us.

Twelve hours is nothing. Planning ahead is key. Next month I am driving from LA to Vancouver. I'm taking my 8 YO grandson and my 5 YO autistic granddaughter. We plan on stopping in Medford for the night to let them unwind and swim. That is an 11 hour drive. The next morning we will get up and drive to Seattle (another 7-1/2 hours) and pick up my 4 and 2 YO granddaughters. We then will head out for the 3 hr trip to Vancouver. I've got movies to watch, IPads and snacks. My grandson says as long as he can sit in the very back and be in charge of the snacks he's good to go.

We live in LA so everywhere we go it's a long drive. They think nothing of driving to Santa Barbara for the zoo (an hour). One time we went to Disneyland by way of San Diego to drop my mother off. So we drove 3-1/2 hours. When we got there I said "get out of the car"... "but grandma, we want to finish watching the movie!".

ITA that 12 hours isn't that long, really just 2 days in the car. Talk to the kids about expectations for the trip ahead of time, you will be surprised how well they do when the know they are expected to sit in the car for 2 hours at a time. Electronics work well, but so do books on cd, games mentioned in other posts, and just good old fashioned conversation :). We drove from Ottawa to Orlando in March, which is just over 22 hrs one way with our boys who were 8&5 yrs. They did beautifully, and we did no middle of the night driving or leaving while they were still asleep.

There has been lots of good advice about road trips, but I would add that make sure that you leave yourself enough cushion of time in case of some kind of emergency whether it's the car breaks down, construction, bad weather or any other number of things. It would be a shame to miss the boat.

Since you are taking your kids out of school, (which is fine in my books, but that's a whole other thread :D) try to find out what subjects they are likely to be missing and see if there are some interesting stops that relate to it. This may be more applicable to older students, but kids your age will have fun exploring just about anything.

If you are going to drive to Florida, take your kids to Disney. JMHO I really don't understand the need to take kids on cruises, they don't appreciate good food, can't gamble and are around drunks all the time. A vacation as a family should be about spending time as a family, not dropping kids off at camp carnival all day. If you are going to takes kids on vacation let it be their vacation, not yours. Now light me up.

I can see why you might think this, but not every kid likes the kids clubs (our kids hate going and want to hang out with us,) and our kids, now 9 & 12, love cruises because of the food, calamari, lobster, crab legs, bring it on.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I do think that my desire to sail on the Breeze outweighs the long drive, so I'm pretty sure we'll try to do this cruise. :). The Dream itinerary is quite a bit more, so unless the price of the Breeze goes up significantly in the next couple of months, we'll go with this cruise and just do the drive. I really like the idea of leaving at night, so they are sleeping most of the way. I just have to decide if we want to split up the drive going down or not - I know I'd split it up coming back. I've got a lot of good ideas to consider!

No way, no how would i drive that far with my kids. We drive 7 hrs to our port (either Baltimore or NYC) and thats pushing it. They are constantly asking if we are there yet and get very restless. But they are only 2 & 3, maybe it will be different when they are older.

Archived