AMA Lotus down the Mekong.

As I've failed repeatedly to post a review of this wonderful cruise down the Mekong, and my wife and I are still talking about it more than a month later, I'd thought I'd post a brief review here.

We booked the cruise portion only. Some tips: Stay in Siem Riep at the Sofitel Angkor--pricey but well worth it. Just 10 min by tuk tuk from Angkor Wat. Also the bus to the cruise port leaves from here. If you have a wait till almost midnight the day you land in Saigon, take a $14 air-conditioned room near the airport, and hide there till it gets dark.

We travelled in the dry season. No mosquitos!!

The cruise price included a wide variety of excursions--all wonderful! Well balanced--no phony stops at which you can buy buy buy. But I did pick up an ultra-lite 4-wheel suitcase for $30 at the Pnoem Penn central market.

The food was tasty and healthy!!:) Vegetarians will be in hog heaven (if hogs were also vegetarians).

Cruise had wi-fi when it was available and a more than ample supply of DVD.

Your comments are appreciated. We did the full land/cruise trip in late 2011 and loved it.

There is a dedicated "River Cruise" board where there are several threads dedicated to the AMA Vietnam/Cambodia cruise.

Here is but one of them.

You will likely get more feedback if you post on that board.

Happy for that you loved the experience.

Archived