Looking for Catamaran for Oct

momrox1

I have been to St Thomas and St John many times. I have sailed the Jester and Lou with Capt Max. This time around I am looking to sail a Catamaran for a full day. My dream day would be to sail sail sail and maybe stop and swim at Honeymoon Beach or some other secluded beautiful stop. I don't want a "booze" sail...just to be able to lay out on the netting while we race through the water. We also have done a bareboat Cat for a week out of St. Thomas which is really what made me want more.Smaller is better as I don't want to be with 40 or so people. Any recommendations??

Thanks

Judy

I very seriously doubt you're going to be able to lay out on the net. It's the USVI so under Coast Guard regulations it's a safety issue. We did the St.John Champagne Catamaran Sail & Snorkel. Their safety briefing said the USCG mandates no sitting on the nets & a snorkel vest must be worn if you get into the water. Sorry to burst your bubble. (We just did this Tues May 21st)

Hmmmm....that is a good point. Of course I was on the net on my three previous cat trips in the usvi and bvis but we were in charge. Didn't know it wasn't allowed and from the looks of other boaters they didn't know either...good question to ask before I book.

Thanks

I very seriously doubt you're going to be able to lay out on the net. It's the USVI so under Coast Guard regulations it's a safety issue. We did the St.John Champagne Catamaran Sail & Snorkel. Their safety briefing said the USCG mandates no sitting on the nets & a snorkel vest must be worn if you get into the water. Sorry to burst your bubble. (We just did this Tues May 21st)

You can definitely enjoy limin' on the netting of a cat anywhere anytime. If the water is too rough to sail or motor they will not go out. We took the Champagne tour several years ago and didn't have a problem, not sure why they were so restrictive for your sail. You definitely need to wear a lifevest when getting in the water unless you are rated for diving.

momrox1, when do you arrive and depart? I'm assuming you can't do this option because you're not in port early enough or late enough but the Daydreamer and her sister ship Coconut sail out of the Sugar Bay Resort just past Sapphire, check their site to see if that's an option. The Daydreamer sails at 8AM and has a snorkel stop off STJ then spends the day on Jost's (passport needed of course), Coconut hangs at STJ.

We enjoyed the New Horizon, very nice 65' sloop with a stop at Honeymoon and then off St James. Their Italian lunch is unbelievable, and their painkillers and nooners are also excellent drinks. Book through the site for a discount, we paid $75pp for the 6 hr tour.

momrox1, when do you arrive and depart? I'm assuming you can't do this option because you're not in port early enough or late enough but the Daydreamer and her sister ship Coconut sail out of the Sugar Bay Resort just past Sapphire, check their site to see if that's an option. The Daydreamer sails at 8AM and has a snorkel stop off STJ then spends the day on Jost's (passport needed of course), Coconut hangs at STJ.

We enjoyed the New Horizon, very nice 65' sloop with a stop at Honeymoon and then off St James. Their Italian lunch is unbelievable, and their painkillers and nooners are also excellent drinks. Book through the site for a discount, we paid $75pp for the 6 hr tour.

I was definitely leaning towards Daydreamer and in fact just got off the phone with them...seems daydreamer will do the bvi's that day (she said it will be cutting it too close for us in case we get tied up at customs) and coconuts will do a half day sail with lunch..I will be there tues oct 15. I will also check out the New Horizon. Thank you for that info

Judy

Another favorite is the Yacht Nightwind out of the Sapphire Marina, again a monohull and not a cat like you're looking for. We love catamarans ourselves.

And most of these day sails make snorkel stops but also have floats and stuff (and of course drinks!) for those who want to relax.

Archived