Walkie Talkies

We, too, used Cobra. I think they had a 10-15 mile range and they worked great on the ship and off. They cost around $40. However, lots of people use them, so you have to find a "band" with less use or it becomes very chatty and annoying. But they are great if you split up on the ship or on land...they work out great.

We use midland 36 mile range. Ours allows us to set the channel and security code which makes it nearly impossible for soneone to hear us and it also filters out the chatter from others.

One thing that people have to be REALLY CAREFUL about is that the "family radio service" FRS radios that everyone uses, are not secure at all. The way they operate is that there are a set of "channels" which are individual frequencies in the UHF band (462Mhz-467Mhz). With most of these FRS radios, you choose a channel (1-14) and then a "code." The code is either a PL code (a tone that is transmitted that you can't hear, but the other radio can) or a DCS code (Same, just digital).

Anyway, without getting too complex, when you set your radio to channel 7 and code 5, for example, you're transmitting on channel 7's frequency and putting out a PL tone. The receiving radio, if set to channel 7, will hear it. Unless it's a radio that requires a code also. If that's the case, they'll only hear it if the combination is the same.

It doesn't mean that the transmission is encrypted or secure, it just means that a sub-audible tone is going out with the transmission. If the receiving radio is listening for a different tone, it won't turn on the speaker... It's a really easy way to "filter" out the different people out there.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but the ham radio operator, and former law enforcement side of me had to just put out the warning.

Btw, as a side note, there are a select number of FRS radios that have a voice scrambling technology. It's not encryption, it just inverses the voice. That's the most secure you're going to get with FRS. I should also add that anyone with a scanner or other radio that can receive that UHF range (462-467) can listen.

Now, if you get some old iDen radios (Nextel) you can use those on direct talk and it's off the network, so you don't need an activated phone...it's digital and encrypted though...

Don't buy into the advertised range of these walkies talkies.

You simply wont get even a quarter of the range under ideal conditions.

Buy one that has the GMRS Band.

They may have more transmitting power or range. How much, I don't know.

No one advertises the wattage of these radios. It's most likely they are under 1 watt.

I just know the range is better using GMRS.

They typically these radios (transceivers) cost more.

I used the Motorola T9680RSAME 22 Channel 28 Mile Two-Way Weather Radio on the Conquest and Carnival Magic with good results.

But, don't work to good when you enter the theater.

Probably due to electrical or RF (Radio Frequency) interference.

My question would be what the heck are you discussing where you'd need to be super secret? Outside of "hey where are you guys?" and "we're headed to X" what else would there be to talk about?

My question would be what the heck are you discussing where you'd need to be super secret? Outside of "hey where are you guys?" and "we're headed to X" what else would there be to talk about?

I don't think anyone needs encryption. All I'm saying is its important to understand that it isn't secure. For example, not to discuss credit card info, room number, etc.

This is EXACTLY what we would use them for. To have our group re-connect.

We have used them with some success. There are many clocks on the ship to know what time to meet. Post it notes on cabin doors work well.

The radios did work while on shore. But I left one in a taxi.

If the new Carnival app that lets you use your cell phone as a walkie-talkie and text while on the ship works then you won’t need the radios.

I don't think anyone needs encryption. All I'm saying is its important to understand that it isn't secure. For example, not to discuss credit card info, room number, etc.

I think it's more about finding a channel that you can use by yourself without a lot of others chattering on it as well.

We have the Midland GXT800 and never had an issue on the ships and always able to contact the person we intended to.

As far as the range stated on them.....that is in a perfect condition, straight line with no mountains, metal, obstructions etc.

But they do give us we need them to.

I would have thought all the metal on the ship, plus the multiple levels, would make walkie talkies nearly useless -- the same way they are in most multi-story hotel/office buildings. But apparently many have had good luck with using them?

Haven't seen this app, is it out yet?

Update:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carnival-funphone/id636177035?mt=8

So, I assume you are using their wifi? Would it be the same charge as buying the wifi package of minutes?

I just D/L'd the app and will try it onboard since I can't do anything as it's looking for the Carnival feed.

Some words of warning. On a ship they generally work fine, but ships are metal, so from one end to another its probably not guaranteed, but they mostly work. Ultimately its up to the captain if its allowed, but I've never seen any problems.

When you leave the ship and enter another country outside the US, be warned that in almost ALL cases, these radios are NOT legal for use. Depending on the country, you might not have any problem at all, but they also could use it as an excuse to cause problems for you.

My advice would be to not take these radios off the ship, especially in Mexico.

Tossed 'em back in the luggage by the end of Day 1 when we realized that EVERYONE else had 'em too....and we checked a zillion channels. :rolleyes:

By the way, this was the kickball cruise. :eek:

Next weekend, I'll pack 'em again. :D

I would have thought all the metal on the ship, plus the multiple levels, would make walkie talkies nearly useless -- the same way they are in most multi-story hotel/office buildings. But apparently many have had good luck with using them?

What!!!?

Helloo!!!!!

Who? No, it's me!!!!

Not Billy, I'm Gary!!!!!!!

Who?

What? No,no,no,.........who?

Blue, you have pretty much nailed the answer.

Archived