what passes for formal wear these days?

FYI my ex husband was allowed into the MDR wearing a bathing suit. I was extremely upset by this.

Again with the extremes. Is your argument so weak that you can't make a lucid statement supporting your view? It is highly doubtful that a person will attempt to wear their swimsuit on formal night, and you know it. What is your point anyway?

Edited by awhcruiser

Forgot to say....

The girl in short shorts showed up the next night in a dress....?????

Oh and by the way... Another odd occurrence at that table on formal night kids were throwing things at each other..... Food????....parents totally ignored them!

At a late seating why don't parents just let kids eat in WJ???? Obviously, kids didn't want to be there!

Parents were casually dressed at best every night....so much for formal nights!

Still believe shorts can be worn everywhere else for dinner in main dining room

Just dress appropriately.....

But closing this one will only cause another one to open. :p

I personally like getting dressed up for dinner on the formal nights. To me, it's part of the experience of cruising and what makes the cruise for me. I don't have the opportunity to go out to a fancy dinner and get dressed up all that often on land so I look to take full advantage of it on a cruise.

While I believe the dress code should be enforced if you are going to have "Formal Nights" on a cruise, I am not going to get bent out of shape if I see someone walk into the dining room wearing a polo and khaki's.

My view is this: the suggested attire for formal nights is posted on the "What to Know Before You Go" section on RCCL's main website. It also has a breakdown of how many formal nights there are on a given voyage depending on length. This is for everyone to see and prepare for. And if dressing up is not your thing, that's completely understandable and completely fine with me. Just expect to be turned away at the main dining room by staff(though this isn't the case on RCCL).

Couldn't have said it better,thank you.

IMHO, leave the tux home unless you really like wearing it. More and more people have started shifting away from formal wear on formal nights to the point where smart casual seems to be the dress code of choice. I actually enjoyed getting dressed up on formal nights but with the added cost of packing an extra suitcase nowadays combined with the fact that I seem to be in an ever shrinking minority, I decided to join the masses and go smart casual.

But closing this one will only cause another one to open. :p

I personally like getting dressed up for dinner on the formal nights. To me, it's part of the experience of cruising and what makes the cruise for me. I don't have the opportunity to go out to a fancy dinner and get dressed up all that often on land so I look to take full advantage of it on a cruise.

While I believe the dress code should be enforced if you are going to have "Formal Nights" on a cruise, I am not going to get bent out of shape if I see someone walk into the dining room wearing a polo and khaki's.

My view is this: the suggested attire for formal nights is posted on the "What to Know Before You Go" section on RCCL's main website. It also has a breakdown of how many formal nights there are on a given voyage depending on length. This is for everyone to see and prepare for. And if dressing up is not your thing, that's completely understandable and completely fine with me. Just expect to be turned away at the main dining room by staff(though this isn't the case on RCCL).

That's the main point - RCI doesn't seem to care if you don't wear a tux, or suit, or even a tie. Why should anyone else care? It's not their ship.

IMHO, leave the tux home unless you really like wearing it. More and more people have started shifting away from formal wear on formal nights to the point where smart casual seems to be the dress code of choice. I actually enjoyed getting dressed up on formal nights but with the added cost of packing an extra suitcase nowadays combined with the fact that I seem to be in an ever shrinking minority, I decided to join the masses and go smart casual.

Another convert. Welcome to the club! :D

Not trying to start a big debate,

just haven't sailed with RCI for a few years and was wondering what passes for formal nights now.

I have been on NCL and CCL lately which doesn't have much if any dress codes.

Certainly won't be dressed like a slob but don't want to be dragging the tux along either.

Also what venues can we eat in on formal nights that are casual if we opt out of the MDR?

Looking at Oasis or Allure.

Bill

All the guys at the table next to us wore shorts on formal night last time we sailed the Explorer.

Last year,while on the Crown Princess,I was seasick and my husband went to dinner on formal night alone and was refused entry to the dining room. The requirement for entry was that he needed his arms covered with long sleeves of any kind. I thought that it was an unusual requirement for men.

I know...the MY vacation was not me talking...LOL...But the code is getting more relaxed all the time. Pretty soon it will be down to speedos and bikinis. UGH

It is your vacation and you could do what you want, but the dining room is not the place for bathing suits. It is nice to have certain places for certain situations.

Dining room is for proper attire, i wouldn't want to sit next to a big hairy chested main next to me or someone in a skimpy bikini with thier b..bs hanging out. On dry land you always see sign, "shoes must be worn, no tank tops etc.

But the code is getting more relaxed all the time. Pretty soon it will be down to speedos and bikinis. UGH

Again with the extreme statements! Get real. There is a big difference between a pair of khakis and a polo shirt and "speedos and bikinis". If you have a point, please try to make it without resorting to exaggerations and lame attempts at humor.

Here is what I get from your post: You can observe that more and more people are opting to dress casually (but hopefully neatly) in the MDR. Yoy don't like the change and want RCI to demand adherence to a strict dress code. I hate to disappoint you but it will never happen. Too much money to be made.

Delete.

Here is what I get from your post: . You don't like the change and want RCI to demand adherence to a strict dress code. I hate to disappoint you but it will never happen. Too much money to be made.

Edited by awhcruiser

• 2 months later...

On regular/casual nights, is it absolutely NO shorts? I was going to wear some nice white shorts, sandals, and a nice blouse one night.

I have two dresses, that will work for formal nights, and 2 sundresses for other casual nights, that leaves me with 3 nights of dinner outfits to figure out.

So I am a 70 year old gal with over 30 cruises. Years ago it was formal and semi-formal dresses plus a few pant/tops combo. Hubby brought a dark suit, sports jacket, dress and casual shirts, ties, etc. Etc. What a royal pain in the arse that was! Now formal for me is a long dress and formal for my hubby is a nice pair of pants and a nice button down shirt. I don't like to see shorts at dinner but think capris and skirts are fine. As long as it's clean - who cares. We are all on vacation!

During my first cruise, I was excited to dress up. I ended up buying a nice dress shirt and matching skirt.

I am actually looking forward to being able to wear my black dress, as I plan to be down to that size by cruise. I like formal nights, and that is crazy because in the past, I hated to get all dressy. It feels special on a cruise.

Since there are going to either be 2 or 3 formals nights, my dresses will be black the first night, green the next and maybe tangelo the final (or during our celebration dinner).

Casual is anything goes for me, so slacks and a nice shirt [shrug].