How to claim for damaged luggage

Cathygh

Hi

Just back form P&O cruise. My husband collected his brand new suitcase at disembarkation & found it had been extensively damaged since he left it outside our cabin to be collected last night. He was sent to an office to get a claim form, only then to be told to claim off insurance. Is this right- P&O are definitely to blame, I have photos taken inside the luggage collection building & the receipt. Surely they must accept liability? Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

Cathy

My sisters case was damaged when it arrived outside her cabin in Barbados. It was wet as well and could only have got wet at the Barbados end where it had been raining.

Most of her clothes were ok but one quite expensive M&S sun hat had water danage and the case was torn.

It took ages to resolve. Reception said to speak to our room attendant, he said to speak to Reception. After bouncing back and forth the case was finally taken away and was actually invisibly repaired. The sun hat issue dragged on. She was told at one point to claim off her insurance but since there was an excess this was pointless. We met with an officer and expressed our dissatisfaction. Finally, they offered the replacement value of the hat as OBC but only once it had been surrended.

This left a bad taste to be honest. It was totally their fault yet we spent a lot of time trying to get an average resolution.

So, I agree. Its not for you to claim off your travel insurance. You will most likely lose out due to excesses to. I would write to them with the photos and say you will jssue a County Court Claim if they not cough up.

We had our luggage damaged on our last two flights monarch and BA. In both cases we were required to email them within 7 days of the damage happening. BA settled promptly with a direct replacement suitcase, Samsonite, but Monarch argued and tried to get us to claim off our insurance, but we refused and in the end got cash compensation. Try checking the terms and conditions on the P&0 website, that's how wee found out our rights.

As a previous poster said, write to cruiseline pointing out that in view of excess an insurance claim would be a waste of time and the damage caused was due to negligence on their part. This is what we did and they paid up. They are just trying to wriggle out of payment.

Hi

Thanks we have checked P&Os T&Cs but they are written in gobbledygook. The form we filled in at the port goes to the Baggage Handling company, but of course the damage could have been done on the ship itself. Unfortunately our insurance excess will not cover the cost of another brand new suitcase so we will call the Baggage Handling company next week to chase. All the advice is appreciated

regards

Cathy

Archived