Ocho Rios, Jamaica - Really that bad?

chopper825

I have done Western Caribbean many times. With calls to both Ocho Rios & Montego Bay. I loved the climb at Dunns River Falls. We took the ship's tour. However, while we stopped at one of the shopping areas we were being followed & harassed to buy drugs. My DH went nuts. He finally took out his State Police badge & they finally left us alone.

Jamaica is a lovely island. Too bad we are not able to fully enjoy it.

We stoped in Ocho on our cruise in 03 and just this year did an All Inclusive Resort in Montego Bay (gated with guards to keep the vendors out) for our vacation. In 03 we did the Dolphin Cove with our Dunns River excursion and they were wonderful. We also hired a taxi and went shopping. We did not have any problems as the taxi took us to a center recommended by the ship. I can see why some people are a bit afraid of the vendors in Jamaica. The other posters are correct - the vendors in the straw market at Dunns are persistent:rolleyes: . They really do want to please- Example- we wanted a carving of a dog and with the language thing- they offered to sell us their "real" dog. Imagine getting that back on the ship! Tip -if you don't want to be hassled- don't go through the market. My husband doesn't mind the market and the vendors but it did get to me. :eek: If you tell them NO very firmly they will leave you alone. If that doesn't work someone suggested telling them "I told you I am not interested and why are you wasting your time on me when you could be selling something to some one who is interested". This works very well. On a positive note, Jamaica has hired tourist police that patrol the tourist areas and this has controlled the hustler situation pretty well, at least in Montego Bay. Jamaica is a very poor country and their major source of income is tourism, that is why they are trying to curb the hustler situation. We noticed in Mo Bay in May that when the tourist cops are out the hustlers are absent. That being said- stick with the cruise ship excursions if you are at all uncomfortable with people confronting you. There are wonderful opportunities to see and learn, and observe a different culture. I would go back again, via ship or on another AI Resort vacation.

Not that I want to buy any, but are they legal in Jamaica? I've been in other cities where they try to get you to buy black market stuff, but to my knowledge I've never been offered drugs. Not even in the Netherlands. But then again, maybe I just don't look like the type....

I have just finished reading the posts on the worst ports and some of the posts regarding Ocho Rios have me scared to death. Is it really that bad. If we do an excursion to Dunns Falls will we avoid some of the fear that people are expressing? I was really looking forward to this port and now I am filled with anxiety. Is there anything positive someone can tell me. Please - suggestions on what might be the best thing to do here besides stay on the ship. Thanks everyone.

One word for a good time in OR:

Margaritaville;)

We are going back to Jamaica for our 3rd time. It is a beautiful island with a lot of wonderful natural resources. If you hire a private guide, they will protect you. Go with Oscar at A-Z planners. When you go to Dunn's River, ask for Norman to take you up the falls. When you leave the falls, you do not have to walk through the vendors. Oscar will wait for you at the end of your climb and show you the way out. Let him know that you don't want to be bothered and he will make sure you are not. Oscar will give you a tour of Ocho Rios. Have him take you to fern gully and Margaritaville. It would be a mistake to miss this beautiful island and if you do it right, you will have a good experience.

The complaints that I read about Ocho Rios are the same things that I could have written when I visited 20 years ago. It is what it is. It is a very poor country. That being said it is also one of the most beautiful that I have ever seen.

I think that the boards will do a good job of preparing people for what to expect. One other thing is that when you exit the falls if you go to the left you can bypass the vendors completely. Yes a firm No does work but I did not want to even deal with the sellers.

Archived