Short visit to London-ideas and questions

My dd and I are flying into London arriving Monday night, we will be leaving Fri. AM to fly to Rome to meet our cruise. I need to pack as much into our visit as possible.

Here's my plan....so far.

Monday - transfer to B&B or hotel

Tueday - sightsee London

Wed - Eurostar to Paris

Thursday - WHAT TO DO?? I was thinking of doing a day trip outside of London but there are so many choices and I need help!

Friday - transfer to Heathrow to fly to Rome

Also, does anyone know of a reasonable priced B&B or hotel that's convenient?

Thanks!

You may want to rethink doing a day trip out of London and just stay and see more of London as you will not even scratch the surface in one day..then you can return someday..see some more of London and take a lot of day trips!!!! Just my thought.

My first thought is that you're not spending much time in London! A daytrip to Paris is also pretty ambitious, but it can be done. We were in London for a week in 2000 with our kids, and took the train to Bath for a one-day outing (one of the few days it didn't rain). We still only scratched the surface of London the other 6 days! If you really feel the need to go somewhere, visit Windsor, or Greenwich. Each day of the week, London Walks has different "Explorer Days" that go to towns not too far outside London. Thursday's Explorer Days goes to the Cotswolds and Oxford: http://www.walks.com/index.aspx?pageId=17

We will be in London one day pre-cruise (next week!) and two-days post-cruise, and we've decided to stay in London and enjoy the wonderful museums, churches, shopping, etc.

I posted elsewhere about my stay at the Travel Inn County Hall (also called Premier Travel Inn as it says on the sign in front of the hotel). You can't get a better rate-85 GBP for a huge, if basic room with a king plus a single bed. Ask for a top sheet when you arrive and take a washcloth as they aren't provided. It's right next to the Eye and a few minutes walk from the Eurostar departure from Waterloo.

Would the Travel Inn be ok for the whole time we are in London?

If you are not after too much in the way of luxuries then the Premier Travel Inn will be fine, it's location is really second to none for your sightseeing.

Nick.

I agree, if basic is ok and you won't be spending much time in the hotel anyway it would be fine. While the staff was very nice it was difficult to get to talk to them to ask any questions as there is no phone connection to the front desk from the rooms. There is a "fix-it" assistance number which I called for top sheets since I forgot to ask at check-in, but the wait for someone to answer is so long that after the first time I gave up. If you need alot of information on site this wouldn't be a good choice. I must say , though, that not only did they get us two cabs for our large family and luggage to the airport, but they went out of their way to reconnect us with the right company by phone before our flight left when it turned out we had accidentally double-paid the cab fare. I really liked how quiet the location turned out to be after having been warned it was in the congestion zone.

• 4 weeks later...

We spent three of four days in London and found we could not fit everything in. I agree you might want to take a serious look at your plans in determining additional day trips. Any hotel in the London tube Zones 1 and 2 will make a decent base for touring London and surrounding areas. We did Stonehenge nd Bath via Evan Evans Tours and we fairly happy with the day.

Archived