Use a Private Guide and car in St. Pete!

We just returned from the Baltic and I can't say enough about how much using a private guide and car in St. Pete added to our enjoyment of St. Pete.

We used RO; there were 4 of us; the pricing was comparable to doing ship's tours and the guide and driver were professional, knowledgeable, personable, and always accomodating. I don't know if specific requests are possible, but you might ask for Elena (a university professor) as the guide and Gennady as the driver as we found them to be all one could wish for.

We went on an evening excursion through the ship and the contrast was amazing. Herded around in large group, trying to hear guide, waiting for bus to leave, waiting for 50 people to get back on the bus, etc.

vs.

Proceeding at our pace; seeing what we were interested in; having a very knowledgeable guide who we could easily hear and ask questions; spotless, nearly new Mercedes van with professional driver meeting us always as scheduled, dropping us at the door; making last minute changes and acoomodating special requests and needs; by-passing larger groups waiting to proceed through Catherine's Palace, etc.

This is not a city that you can easily see on your own in 2 days if you are interested in the major sights in and out of town. We generally are DIY on port visits, but for a once in a lifetime visit, we could not have covered even a fraction of the sights.

CMI

And thanks from me too.

We leave Saturday and have just finalised our own 2 day itinerary with RO. We are also a small group of just 4 so pricewise will be paying about the same (if not slightly more than) the ships tours but we are covering more ground and the the overall quality should be better.

We are hoping to be as lucky as you with our guide and driver.

If its not too personal a question, just curious to know what sort of "last minute changes" they could accommodate?

Might be useful for us to know because as usual with SPB theres too much for the short time in port so we had to leave out some things.

Thanks, Call me Ishmael. I just said something similar on my roll call board a few days ago. Add to that the fact that the returning Baltics passengers are noting that the ship's excursions passengers are standing in long lines to get into some of the attractions--Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, and the Hermitage--for an hour or more and some standing in the rain! We have a great 2-day itinerary lined up with Denrus for our 8/27 sailing, and the cost per person in the van that has 10 passengers is less than the ship's excursions with several additional attractions (and the admission fees that go along with that) that cannot be see on the ship's excursions. We are thrilled to be able to see so much in the time alloted.

Donna

keep on cruising,

The only gotchas relate to the currency issues. You can save a few dollars if you pay in cash; otherwise RO will convert the US $ price to roubles and then your credit card will convert it back to US$. It ended up adding an extra 5% or $35 per couple. Also, the gift shops that we went to posted prices in euros but would take US $ in cash in the same amount, i.e., a 1 to 1 exchange rate rather than $1.20 to 1 EU.

edinburgher,

There were several changes including lunch plans for the first day, extra shopping stops to find the right jewelry, an unplanned stop at the WWII monument and viewing of a very dramatic film (short) showing conditions during the 900 day siege. They were also able to accomodate extra stops to visit the "WC." The guide also offered to take my wife to the large dep't store on the Nevsky Prospekt if she wanted to give up her lunch the second day. Fortunately for me, my wife was too hungry from our busy schedule to tackle the shopping.

mare,

It really depends on your interests. By all means plan an evening event; this could free up time during the day to cram more in. We attended a "gala evening" at Yusopov Palace (famous for Rasputin's assassination as well as the fact that the Yusopovs were wealthier than the czar). It was a little kitschy with costumed greeters and photo ops, but we got to see the palace. Attending a performace in the Yusopovs' private theater was unique and the opera singers were quite impressive as well.

dbh,

We stood in no lines, unless you count waiting for huge groups to move away from some of the smaller paintings in the Hermitage. We were also fortunate to have very nice weather while we there.

I hope you all have as great a time as we did.

CMI

Thanks CallMe.

Were these extra stops only possible because you somehow managed to save time somewhere along the way?

Our schedules looking pretty tight already, although we are hoping to save maybe 1/2 hour each day having opted for a "fast food" stop for lunch instead of a restaurant.

What were the WC facilities like? Do we need to be forewarned? I was in Russia in 1980 and one of my most vivid memories is of the public toilets.:( Actually its more of a recurring nightmare. I hope theres been some improvement since then.:)

Edinburgher,

Our guide seemed to know when we were ready to move on and our pace was fairly brisk at most places. Our guide juggled the schedule the first day when we were stuck in traffic to take us in a different direction to one of the sights planned for the second day which was close by (due to our change in lunch plans.)

The second day was Saturday and the traffic was much lighter and probably created some extra time.

You might want to consider taking the hydrofoil to Peterhof if going there on a weekday. The driver could meet you there after your sightseeing. If I had to make any changes in our 2 days I would opt for the one way hydrofoil.

Your lunch plan sounds like a good one. I hope the fast food is Russian, not McDonald's. Our first day we had planned to take sandwiches off the ship, but decided it was going to be too much of a hassle to do so. When we met our guide, we told her of this change and offered to buy the RO box lunches. She instead proposed a Russian restaurant with a buffet which eliminated the food prep time and gave a wide variety of dishes to try. The place was filled with affluent locals. It was quick, interesting and cost less per person than the box lunches. The second day we went to the RO selected restaurant. The food was very good, but the place was empty, perhaps due to it being Saturday.

WC's are a problem throughout Europe. Many are holes in the ground which we Americans, especially the ladies, are not trained to use; there's often a shortage of Charmin and usually there is an admission charge to use. The ones we visited in St. Pete were actually better than many we stumbled across on our own in other stops. There was only one in St. Pete that was described as unfit for use other than in a dire emergency which this was. Otherwise, we used the restaurants' WC's as well as the ones located in the major venues: Catherine's Palace, Peterhof and the Hermitage all had them.

CMI

Hi, Thanks for you post. I was wondering which ship you were on and whether you had any difficulty with getting off the ship ie whether you had to wait for the ship excursion people to get off first etc.

Thanks, Soraya

Thanks again CMI

Good to know that they are flexible when theres a problem with traffic or whatever. We are there on a Friday and Saturday.

Sounds like the WC's have improved slightly. In 1980, unless in the hotels we were staying in, they could all have been described as "unfit for use except in an emergency". We are extensively traveled and have yet to experience anywhere worse than those were at the time. Lets just say that you never had to ask where they were located....you followed the stench!

One last question. Approx. how long at Monplaisir? We are hoping its going to be less time than on the schedule as we appoear to have longer inside it than we have in the park/fountains area. We are hoping to reverse this as we are thinking that the fountains merit more time than MonP. Or is our thinking way off? Did you walk through the park to MonP then back to the car, or did the car pick you up at MonP having dropped you at the park first?

Soraya,

We were on the Radisson Voyager. Had no problem getting off. People began to line up at the gangway at 7:30 or so. One of our party stood in line around 7:45. Shortly before 8, we joined him and saw a few officials come on board. Around 8:25, they left and passengers were allowed to disembark. By that time, folks holding excursion tickets were in line behind us.

Passing through passport control was a breeze. The Russians barely looked at the RO tickets, stamped the passports and we were out by 8:30. A lady with an RO sign was in plain view and quickly introduced us to our guide and driver. It all went exactly as represented by RO.

Edinb,

It didn't seem like we were in Mon Plaisir for an extended period of time. Keep in mind that the grounds are vast at these palaces -- 1500 acres at Peterhof. Much of the time is actually spent walking to and from various areas which is fine since it is all interesting.

If you can get your hands on the DK Eyewitness travel guide to St. Pete, this will all be a little clearer. The guide is a glossy publication filled with photos and details which I highly recommend.

We were dropped at the entrance near one side of the Palace, walked past the Grand Palace, viewed the adjacent fountains from the upper level and looked out along the canal to the Gulf of Finland. Then we walked down to the lower level, and took in the fountains from that vantage point. Next we walked to the first bridge across the canal for yet another view point of the fountains and the palace above as though we were arriving from the Gulf. On the way to Mon P we passed more fountains, including some trick fountains that teens and kids were playing in. We then walked to the Gulf where Mon P is located, entered and saw Mon P. We then saw more of the grounds, passing more of the fountains, a pond, the Orangery and another cascade before returning to the upper level and eventually exiting from the opposite side of Peterhof from where we had entered.

If you find a diagram of the grounds, you will see that the grounds are divided in two main areas with the Palace in the middle. The lower grounds on the Gulf of Finland side are further divided by a Marine canal leading to the Gulf that enabled the czars to sail up to the Palace. Mon P. is right on the Gulf, so the van cannot drop you or pick you up there. However, the hydrofoil arrives somewhere near the canal, so you would be in the vicinity if using the hydrofoil one way.

This was one of the clever little things our guide did, taking us in one entrance and out another at all the major locations. That way we didn't retrace our steps and instead saw other areas. Our guide coordinated with the driver and made use of cell phones to eliminate any lost time waiting or searching for the van.

Yes there were fountains that I would like to have seen, but I think doing so was pretty much impossible given that they are scattered over 1500 acres. (Unfortunately - or fortunately, no tram or monorail on the grounds.) Even if we had taken the hydrofoil over, I'm not sure how much more we could have seen, given the amount of walking necessary.

I felt that we experienced the essence of the place which is about all you can hope for on a two hour visit.

CMI

Once again CMI, a huge thanks for the time and effort you put into answering this.

It was very informative and sounds like we will see more than we anticipated.

Funnily enough we have that very guide book here (also Lonely Planet SPB) both of which we currently have on loan from our local library. We were using them to help plan the 2 day itinerary and will be returning them tomorrow as we leave next day.

Looking forward to it more than ever now!

CMI-

Posted this question for you on the RSSC board as well.

We'll be on Voyager in August and are using RO for St. P. Does RSSC take your passport when you embark? If so, how do you get it back so that you have it to pass through immigration in St. P.?

Minor question. Just wondering. Have enjoyed your comments about the cruise and excursions so far. Thanks.

mborchgardt,

Yes, you definitely need your passport in St. Petersburg to reach the area where the vans, buses, guides and drivers are waiting.

RSSC did collect the passports upon boarding and gave a little receipt. I asked at reception the next day about getting it back. I was told that they needed to retain it until the ship had been cleared in St. Pete. WRONG!

As it turned out, authorities in Talinn require passengers to carry passports while ashore. No one asked to see them; there was no passport control. But the daily Passages newsletter (delivered in the evening with next day's schedule -- be sure to read it closely before you go to bed) so stated and the ship's security personnel asked if we had it. It also turned out that Germany required passengers to show and carry passports when we docked at Warnemunde. Since both of these ports were before St. Pete, we had passports already in hand and there was no effort by the ship to have us turn them back in.

If you visit Talinn first, just wait for the announcement in Passages about picking up your passport the day before the ship arrives in Talinn. If you visit St Pete first, go to reception a day or two before. All of the people taking the ship's excursions also need their passports, so they have to release them to everyone.

CMI

You mentioned a private tour using RO. Could you tell me what RO is and how you made contact with them. Do you need a visa to use them and what is the size of the vehicle. There are 10 people in our party. Thanks

Is a private tour agency in St. Petersburg. With a group of 10 you will probably be quoted a price that is less than the ships tour and can be customized. From everything I read on this board, it is best to deal directly with their Russian office. My group of 12 is scheduled to tour with RO in July.

CMI, you had indicated that you need to carry your passport while in Tallinn. Will carrying a copy of your passport suffice? We always bring a few copies of our passport, in the event the original is lost or stolen.

Opto,

The major tour providers that are discussed here are Red October and Denrus. I believe both are packagers, i.e., they don't actually own the vehicles and the guides and drivers are independent contractors. I know our guide worked for other companies.

There is a visa exception for cruise passengers going on a ship's tour or using an approved local tour provider. If you contact the two companies they will fill you in on the details. We had no visas and had no problem either day getting through passport control -- we simply showed our RO tickets.

Our vehicle was a nearly new looking Mercdes van with three rows of seating. I know that Denrus quotes prices for groups as large as 25, so I would imagine RO could as well too. Do a google for Denrus and you will find their site. You'll also see a sponsored link for RO (which is also usually at the top of this page). Both sites have a host of information.

Nyfeds,

I don't think a copy would do you any good if an official asked to see your passport. Copies are too easy to fudge.

There are various types of safety wallets if you are worried about carrying the passports. Some go under your shirt with a string around your neck. I saw a number of those being used. I previously had one that hung over the shoulder like an under arm gun holster. My current one attaches to my belt and hangs inside the pants out of view. Having to dig out the contents is always a bit embarrassing, but no one has seemed at all surprised when I've fumbled with my arm pit or reached into my pants.

Check your local luggage shop or go online.

I never felt at all uneasy in Talinn or anywhere else we were on our own. We did take reasonable precautions everywhere since tourists are often preferred targets even here in the states.

CMI

Hello. This is my first message on this site. I am on a 10 day cruise August 9th from Copenhagen to Stockholm, Tallin, Helsinki etc on to St Petersburg and ending in Copenhagen. (first time also to the Baltics) We only have one full day in St Petersburg. I have read a few comments on this site just now regarding private tours and passport stuff. Can you tell me is a visa required in St Petersburg? or any of the other Baltic countries? I have been told to purchase a visa in advance and that the only way to avoid this is to book a tour through the cruise line (Holland America). We are US citizens. What private tour company would you recommend for two couples? What would we expect to pay for a full day guided tour?

The two most talked about companies are Red October and DenRus. Enter their names in Yahoo or Google and you will reach their web sites. The costs depend on how many in your party. To give an example, we are a group of 6 and we are paying approximately $125 per day per person. You DO NOT need to get a personal Visa if you book through these companies, they cover you with a group tour Visa just like the ships do. For a lot more information just do a Search this Forum (Upper right of the blue bar) and type in either company name, you will get more information than you know what to do with. Good luck and enjoy!

Wassy,

Phoenix is right on the money. You only need a visa if you wish to wander around SPb on your own or use some tour company that does not have visa exemption authority for cruise passengers.

We had no visas and spent 2 days with Red Oct. For a party of 4, the prices were comparable to what we would have paid to take ship's excurisons. Email the two companies mentioned and you will receive proposed itineraries that can be modified as you desire. The final cost will depend on the number in your party and what you wish to see.

We just returned frmm St. Petersburg and we used Alla of Alla-tour. We have used RO and Denrus in the past and believe she is every bit as good if not better. I would encourage you to contact her also. You can go to Google and search for alla-tour and she is listed under St. Petersburg guide. You do not need a visa to tour with her and she guides in all the usual sites as well as the less visited spots and is extemely responsive and flexible. If you have a visa she can arrange a train tour to Moscow being met there by a private guide.We highly recommend her.

CADREAMER..

We're booked on the 8/1/05 Crystal Symphony Baltic cruise, arriving St Pete on August 6. Another couple and we booked with Alla several months ago, based on other very favorable reports. I'm so glad to get your posting confirming that we made the right decision. Are there any particular features of touring with her that you might share? We'll be with her for three days. We've asked her to look into ballet, and we're also interested in the restaurants she took you to.

Many thanks

Mike

Archived