Tallin, Estonia

We have a port stop on our Baltic cruise after leaving St. Petersburg in Tallin, Estonia. Can anyone tell me about it and where to go sightseeing? Also, does anyone know anything about the old, abandoned naval base one sees after leaving St. Petersburg?

Tallinn was fabulous.Since we were there for only 6 hours,we opted for a tour.We did the Best of Tallinn with lunch and Medieval Concert,Everything was great,might be our favorite stop on the entire cruise.We had beautiful weather that day,so that helped.

We loved Talinn! It's a very walkable city. We had a lovely time just exploring on our own. Very relaxing after all of the frenetic touring of St Petersburg. Had a great lunch in the main square at an open air cafe.

The shopping was great there too. There were beautiful sweaters, dolls, lace and ceramics. Prices much better than anywhere else in the Baltic that we went to. People were extremely friendly and helpful.

j

What are the best things to buy in Tallin? That is one of our first stops, so I don't want to overlook any bargains .

Amber ( but we found better quality in Riga, and lower prices in Klaipeda)

Linen coats, ponchos etc

Wool hats, sweaters

If you walk into the old town and climb the hill (Toompea) use a copy of Rick Steve's walking tour of Tallinn to steer you to the best vantage point where you look down on the red roofs of the old city. It is one of the best photo ops of the cruise. There are other vantage points on the way up, but this is by far the best.

Loved Tallinn as it seems everyone did. Ate lunch at an outdoor cafe in the huge square. Every cafe was packed and a band was playing. It was a beautiful day, which helped alot.

Also, does anyone know anything about the old, abandoned naval base one sees after leaving St. Petersburg?

It was on the starboard side of the ship about 2-2 1/2 hours after leaving StPb. Our ship left at 6 and we were at the early dinner seating. Our waiter or maitre'd mentioned at dinner that we would pass it between 8:30 and 8:45 but it actually was at about 8:15. There were ony a couple others out on deck but we passed quite close to the base and I got a couple pictures, the most notable one of an old destroyer.

We have a port stop on our Baltic cruise after leaving St. Petersburg in Tallin, Estonia. Can anyone tell me about it and where to go sightseeing? Also, does anyone know anything about the old, abandoned naval base one sees after leaving St. Petersburg?

you can walk tallin easily on your own and dont miss the alexander nevsky cathedral.

here is a link to some shots ofthe kronstadt naval base which you pass on the right after leaving st petersburg

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=179682364&key=YdpTWF

• 1 month later...

Old thread, but general heading so this works. Does many of the merchants, street vendors, and restaurant staff speak or understand English? Or will we have to mime? Oh, what about the taxi drivers? I was thinking that I would have all the places that I wanted to visit to be written down so I can show the cab driver if he doesn't understand English. This city looks like a lot of fun being compact and quaint. My 6 year old son will want plenty of souvenirs (coins & stamp) from Tallinn.

Tallinn is extremely easy to tour on your own. The tourist office is located on the pier.

It is a charming medieval city. Everything is withing easy walking distance.

They gladly take US and everything is cheaper there.

A Tallinn Card is available which includes transportation, a 2 1/2 hour tour and museums fees. We didn't opt for this because we preferred to walk.

We used the "Rick Steves" Scandinavia guide book" and took his walking tour.

I highly recommend this book.

There were many street vendors and shops selling linens and sweaters.

Archived