Any Buckeye Cruisers Here?

Ghost

Maxiesmom -

Handels' is an ice cream place that originated in Youngstown, OH, but has recently been expanding throughout the state. I don't kno the name of the road it is on in Sylvania, but if you get off at the Corey Rd. exit from 475, turn left off the exit ramp, then turn left again at the light (where if you go straight you hit Mancy's Italian and if you turn right, you get to Franklin Park Mall or westfield, whatever it's called), go about 3/4 of a mile and Handel's is on the right hand side of the road. It's a blue and white building, and has EXCELLENT ice cream. I have to stop every ime I'm in Toledo, Columbus, or Youngstown. Our favorites are Heavenly Hash, Spouse Like a House (think B&J's Chubby Hubby), and,seaonally, peppermint stick! Yummy! I'm headed to Columbus next weekend, and I might have to splurge even though I'm on the South Beach diet!

-----------------
"When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you'll understand just why you came this way."

We are some more Buckeye people from Wooster, Ohio. We both attended Ohio Univ as did one of our daughters. My husband graduated from OSU Med. School. We are going on our second Celebrity cruise, but have sailed other lines as well. We did the British Isles and fjords last summer and will be on the July 8 Millennium sailing to the Med. this summer. We will also join some dear friends on the Constellation cruise on Jan. 15, '05 to the Caribbean.

Must say that we support the Bucks...but it is really hard to be supportive of the other pro teams...the Browns and the Bengals. The Cavs were really fun this year with Lebron. He's almost local to us as his hometown is only 30 miles from us.

Enjoy your cruises.

Pat and Tom

I am a Clevelander with Drew Carey as a neighbor growing up........ Old Brooklyn area of the city. Zoo was behind my neighbor's house, then moved down the street with a Metro Park replacing it. I had bears raising me when I climbed down the hill & around the cages to get in for FREE & swim in the pool that was there. But that was the old Zoo. No pool no more unless you like Penquins.

Am a member of CPD APU for the past 10 years, my way of giving back to thoe who made me what I am.

My logo: When we disembark, I just have to book another!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tbelian:
Personally, I have to say _Go Blue_

But in fairness to the original poster, I'll add:

Bo Schembechler meets God.

After Michigan coach Bo Schembechler passes away and enters the Pearly Gates, God takes him on a tour. He shows Bo a little 2-bedroom house with a faded UM banner hanging from the front porch. "This is your home, Coach. Most people don't get their own house up here," God exclaims. Bo looks at the house, then turns around and looks at the one sitting on the top of the hill. It's a huge two-story mansion with white marble columns and little patios under all of the windows. Ohio State flags line both sides of the sidewalk with a huge scarlet and gray OSU banner hanging between the marble columns.

"Thanks for the home, God, but let me ask you a question. I get this little 2 bedroom house with a faded Michigan banner, and Woody Hayes gets a mansion with new OSU banners and flags flying ! all over the place. Why is that? God looks at him seriously for a moment and then
replies, "That's not Woody's house, that's mine!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The joke is great, but it should be reversed. If God were supporting a college, I have a feeling he would pick a school with great academics as well as sports. I'm afraid OSU wouldn't make the cut. Michigan would be on the short list.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ghost:
I KNOW you must be kidding about the academics!

I'm not kidding about Michigan and I'm certainly not kidding about OSU. Michigan is ranked in top 10 universities in the US in the following: law, medicine, engineering, business, education, social work, music. In fact, the latest US New rankings put Michigan in the top 10 in every field they ranked. OSU is ranked in the top 10 in the following areas : (0)

The US News Reports rankings have always been subjective and controversial. While we will conceed the law school's ranking (after all we need more lawyers) the medical, engineering and business rankings are not conceeded. The medical school and the OSU Hospital are state of the art now (Cancer Research Center included). There is also a crossover between medicine and engineering in biotech that is happening on the OSU sponsered business technology center. The MBA program while not at a Yale/Duke standard has increased its image quite a lot.

Education is hard to compare. Not sure how they do it. Same with music and social work.

Also note that for arts (ranging from fashion to photography) would go to the Columbus College of Art and Design before OSU (or MU).

George & MaryBeth

"The MBA program while not at a Yale/Duke standard has increased its image quite a lot."

You might be interested to know that Michigan's MBA program is rated higher than both Yale and Duke, not only by US News but by the Wall Street Journal and by Business Week. The WSJ rated Michigan #2 in the US last year. This year, Michigan slipped to #3. I agree that the US News rankings are subject to debate, but take a look at some objective information like acceptance/rejection rates, GPA of incoming students and SAT scores. You will see that OSU ranks way below Michigan by every objective measurement and for every discipline (except football--in some years). Anyway, back to cruising!

Our sympathies to you folks in the south dealing with the cicadas. We had them here in the north a few years ago and still can't believe that we survived that summer. (I think there's still a dead one in our basement.) One of the hardest parts was keeping our dog from getting sick from gobbling up the dead and dying ones off of the sidewalk.

Friends just invited us to cruise next March. I'm gettin' the fever!

The cicadas are more a sleeping problem than an actual pest [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]. They just do their thing and then drop and while the new ones hibernate. Strangely, we still haven't heard them yet in central Ohio (got lots of trees in the back yard).

Worst were the asian ladybugs that we had several years running. Those things were all over the place. Hopefully they are gone (last year was not as bad as previously).

George & MaryBeth

As a VERY loyal OSU person, I would just like to say that most of us have great respect for the University of Michigan and that the rivalry between the two schools is primarily just for fun. The bottom line is they are both great schools and anyone attending either school is truly blessed.

By the way, I must brag that our son was a 5 year TBDBITL member. Probably the best 5 years of my life!

George and Marybeth...as a CCAD alum I have to agree with you that it's THE best when going for an art degree. How neat it was to read you felt so too!

No cicadas up here in the North yet. I remember when they were out in full force the last time that the noise they made was unbelievable. Pretty cool quirk of nature.

Where is the Handel's in Columbus? Got a son in Toledo and one in Lewis Center (just north of Columbus). Can hardly wait to try some of this yummy stuff.

Sailing Galaxy in September. Can hardly wait, but, that means winter will be back soon and I sure can wait for that!!!

Liz

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]Do we have a deal for you....it's a long story but John and I both ended up with $200.00 Celebrity shipboard credit vouchers bidding on e-bay. We can not use both, as they are one per stateroom. We booked another cruise last night (Horizon in Nov.) to use one of the vouchers.
Anyone interested in the other $200.00 credit voucher? I paid $80.00 for it and am just seeking the $80.00 back. (I'll eat the e-bay, priority postage, etc. that I had to pay). It's good on any cruise 9 nights or longer....but the booking has to be made by June 15, 2004. It was madness in Columbus the last few days....the e-bay mix-up, finding a cruise, timing, booking....never a dull moment. If anyone is interested in turning $80.00 into $200.00, please contact us, and we'll get it to you...happy sailing, Buckeyes!

Because we have the vouchers in hand. It was a voucher given onboard by a cruise consultant. We will stand by it. It's just that it required acting quickly, unless you already have plans to book within the next two weeks. It was crazy for us, we don't plan ahead and I can't take off work until after Sept. We just got back from an 11 night Zenith last month.

As one BucKeye fan to another, we would never set someone up.
The Handels is located in far west Columbus, just south of Hilliard. About 5 miles from my home, at 70 and Rome Hilliard Rd.

Dizliz -

There's another Handel's that opened about 3 weeks ago in northern Columbus (right outside Powell). Take 750 from 23 as if you are going to the zoo. Go through Powell and head towards Sawmill. On the right hand side of the road, next to a preschool, but before Sawmill, you will see a white and blue building with blue benches out front. That's Handel's. I'll be there this weekend, as we're headed to the Buffett concert at the Schott!

-----------------
"When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you'll understand just why you came this way."

MSU -

Yeah, you'll have a good time with Cindy if she's a Buffett fan. Little does she know I don't root for the Buckeye's (although my hubby likes to wake me up on game days with the OSU fight song playing as loud as possible[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img])

Sorry, Cindy, for not pulling for the Bucks (although, really, I don't root for them just to tick off DH!) Anyhow, we've been going to Buffett concerts for over 12 years, now! Glad he's finally back in Columbus! We'll be at the Holiday Inn on the Lane so that we can just stagger back to our room!

-----------------

Archived