Regency Fairbanks vs Westmark

tamsocal

Since I live in Fairbanks I haven't stayed in either property, but have been inside both of them. The Regency and the Westmark are located within the same block, but are very different. The Regency is an odd building, with the restaurant in the basement. The Westmark is a much larger property and underwent a major remodel approximately a decade ago. If I had to choose between the two, I would definitely select the Westmark.

Are you looking for a hotel in Fairbanks? One of the tour directors for a major motor coach tour operator in Alaska once told me that the hotel which ranked the highest on their post tour customer surveys was the River's Edge Resort in Fairbanks. Several years ago my mother asked me for hotel suggestions for friends of hers who were coming to Fairbanks. I suggested the River's Edge Resort. They did indeed stay there and were very pleased.

Since I live in Fairbanks I haven't stayed in either property, but have been inside both of them. The Regency and the Westmark are located within the same block, but are very different. The Regency is an odd building, with the restaurant in the basement. The Westmark is a much larger property and underwent a major remodel approximately a decade ago. If I had to choose between the two, I would definitely select the Westmark.

Are you looking for a hotel in Fairbanks? One of the tour directors for a major motor coach tour operator in Alaska once told me that the hotel which ranked the highest on their post tour customer surveys was the River's Edge Resort in Fairbanks. Several years ago my mother asked me for hotel suggestions for friends of hers who were coming to Fairbanks. I suggested the River's Edge Resort. They did indeed stay there and were very pleased.

we are staying 2 more nights beyond our cruisetour.

so westmark will be easiest since that is where we will be night 1. Hotwire has what is likely the regency for $111 right now. Westmark is $129 but I might end up getting the south tower- which is the old part and some bad reviews. $149 for north tower.

we are ok with moving the last 2 nights as well- we dont get in to Fairbanks until 8pm so could try to move 1st thing in am if rooms are available but same place all 3 nights makes the most sense probably

We are booked at the Regency Fairbanks for one night, and it's just a stop-over after Denali / before our trip to Wrangell-St. Elias National Park.

Is the hotel in decent shape, considering that all we want is a clean place to crash before an early morning escape to the Richardson highway? This is one of the few reservations I have in Alaska that didn't require a down payment, so I can change to another spot if the hotel is bad.

Thanks for any insight!

We are booked at the Regency Fairbanks for one night, and it's just a stop-over after Denali / before our trip to Wrangell-St. Elias National Park.

Is the hotel in decent shape, considering that all we want is a clean place to crash before an early morning escape to the Richardson highway? This is one of the few reservations I have in Alaska that didn't require a down payment, so I can change to another spot if the hotel is bad.

Thanks for any insight!

kcbbq: The Regency Fairbanks building itself seems amateurish in design and oddly proportioned to me. And for the life of me -- I just don't understand the location of the restaurant.

If I remember correctly, the Regency opened in the late 1970s or early 1980s. For the first decade or so it had a very nice restaurant with great food but was decorated with very odd red velvet bordello-style wallpaper and lots of gaudy gold painted wood accents. Fortunately the restaurant space has lost the strange decor, but for the past ten to twelve years they have had problems with keeping a restaurant open, at least during the winter months (the hotel itself is open year round). However, I suspect the hotel itself is fine, and it certainly is not a place which is mentioned in the local police blotter.

Archived