Hawaii Packing List Must-haves

emuangel

I'm not new to cruising, but new to Hawaii. I've only done Caribbean cruises. My husband and I will be on the Pride of America in Hawaii in August. I would like to know what are some must-haves I should pack?

I am already planning on packing a ton of sunscreen.

What about bug spray? Ponchos? Water-shoes?

Thanks ahead for all the responses

Definitely sunscreen, though you can buy it on board (expensive) or in any port. Poncho - No; you might get an occasional shower in August, but you'd swelter in a poncho. Bug spray - usually not in ports, but if you plan to visit any botanical gardens (there are great ones on both Kauai and the Big Island north of Hilo), or maybe some of the zip lines that are in forested areas, then you'll need it. Water shoes - probably not; the best known beaches will be sandy. The exception would be if you plan to visit some more out-of-the-way snorkel beaches which might be rocky, especially on the Big Island.

In addition, bring a hat and sunglasses - the sun can be brutal. Have a small camera that you can carry everywhere - there will be endless photo ops. Binoculars are nice to have. Have a great trip!

Unless you're going straight from the airport to the ship and not getting off the ship, don't worry about the sunscreen. There is an ABC store about every other block where you can buy it.

Rashguards. You should have had one of these for the Caribbean, too. Helps protect yourself from overexposure to the sun when you are snorkeling or even just out on the water. Also, it helps a tad with the cooler water you'll find in Hawaii (especially if you're used to the warm Caribbean). Do an internet search for it. Also, I'll recommend for you to look at Athleta - some good quality rashguards, sun protection tunics that look pretty classy.

Water shoes - probably not; the best known beaches will be sandy. The exception would be if you plan to visit some more out-of-the-way snorkel beaches which might be rocky, especially on the Big Island.

I thought I'd read one would want water shoes so as not to cut feet on coral. I made less than enthused teen boys get watershoes. Are there some beaches you can think of that are frequently visited by tourist and have coral around to step on? Should I let them go w/o water shoes in waikiki? IF we take a surf lesson, do those shoes get in the way?

As an aside, do novices often get hurt trying to take surfing lessons? Our first day is a relaxing beach day and originally thought they might take a surfing lesson but now I'm a little concerned about risking chance of injury on the first day and ruining the trip. Is there a place for surfing lessons walking distance from the port in Kauai if wanted to save surfing trial for last day of cruise?

Thank you.

I thought I'd read one would want water shoes so as not to cut feet on coral. I made less than enthused teen boys get watershoes. Are there some beaches you can think of that are frequently visited by tourist and have coral around to step on? Should I let them go w/o water shoes in waikiki? IF we take a surf lesson, do those shoes get in the way?

As an aside, do novices often get hurt trying to take surfing lessons? Our first day is a relaxing beach day and originally thought they might take a surfing lesson but now I'm a little concerned about risking chance of injury on the first day and ruining the trip. Is there a place for surfing lessons walking distance from the port in Kauai if wanted to save surfing trial for last day of cruise?

Thank you.

We brought water shoes. Unfortunately, we forgot to bring them with us most of the time! We stayed on Waikiki Beach pre-cruise, and during low tide the coral was very close to shore where we were. I did not have my water shoes with me, and did not want to go too far into the water for fear of stepping on it and cutting up my feet. Also we went to Punaluu Beach near Hilo and it would have been nice to have water shoes- the sand is HOT and to get into the water was a very rocky entrance. Most of the beaches are white sand - but you never know where the coral is in the water! Sometimes it is close to shore, sometimes it is not.

You are not supposed to step on the coral - it kills it. Rocks are OK.

Re: getting hurt surfing. every sport has a risk to it. They will be learning to surf on baby waves. But, you just have to be careful how you fall off the board. Their arms and back will be tired the next day, but that's really all I'd think you would see.

Power bar for your cabin if you need to charge up electronics.

One thing I never leave home with out is a roll duck tape, to keep those squeaky doors, drawers and torn luggage etc. I don't think there has been a trip that i haven't used it for something.

We brought water shoes. Unfortunately, we forgot to bring them with us most of the time! We stayed on Waikiki Beach pre-cruise, and during low tide the coral was very close to shore where we were. I did not have my water shoes with me, and did not want to go too far into the water for fear of stepping on it and cutting up my feet. Also we went to Punaluu Beach near Hilo and it would have been nice to have water shoes- the sand is HOT and to get into the water was a very rocky entrance. Most of the beaches are white sand - but you never know where the coral is in the water! Sometimes it is close to shore, sometimes it is not.

To clarify- right, tou're not supposed to step on coral, but sometimes it's unavoidable and will rip our feet up. Sometimes you don't see it - like if you're swimming and put your feet down and didn't see it. Or if it's very shallow during low tide, you may accidentally step on it,

Unless you're going straight from the airport to the ship and not getting off the ship, don't worry about the sunscreen. There is an ABC store about every other block where you can buy it.

Rashguards. You should have had one of these for the Caribbean, too. Helps protect yourself from overexposure to the sun when you are snorkeling or even just out on the water. Also, it helps a tad with the cooler water you'll find in Hawaii (especially if you're used to the warm Caribbean). Do an internet search for it. Also, I'll recommend for you to look at Athleta - some good quality rashguards, sun protection tunics that look pretty classy.

I had to laugh - on reading the top post re the sunscreen, my immediate thought was 'don't bother carrying it, just call into an ABC store' It's something you don't quite understand until you've stayed in Waikiki :D

We wore those Kean type water sandals which were perfect, easy to hike and easy to walk on the volcanic beaches yet comfortable and easy to rinse off and let dry each night

we did bring a very light weight rain jacket because we did encounter rain often but we were there in Feb

Yes a power strip is a must for the POA to charge all of your electronics

we rented cars on each island and did our own thing so I had bought an insulated bag, bigger than a lunch one to carry water and ice with us. worked out great as I used it as my carry on for the plane also

The most important thing we had was maps of each island from frankomaps.com, they were perfect with tons of ideas and little know facts. we never had a gps so these maps were perfect to be able to take the road less traveled!

Have fun, loved this cruise and we will do it again soon!

Things I recommend packing for POA Hawaiian Adventures:

• Rash Guard
  • Bathing Suits
  • Cover-Ups
  • Flip Flops
  • Comfortable walking shoes / sneakers
  • Camera / Underwater Camera / High-capacity SD cards
  • Tote / Carry-all bag
  • Power Strip (preferably with the ability to plug in various directions depending on cabin)
  • Chargers for phones, cameras, etc.
  • Hair Straightener
  • Mix & match day wear (shorts, capris, shirts)
  • Hoodie
  • Lightweight waterproof windbreaker
  • Casual evening wear (sundress / maxi dress / lightweight dress pants / lightweight dress shirts)
  • Dressier footwear, if desired
  • Undergarments :eek:
  • Hat / visor
  • Sunglasses
  • Snorkel gear (if you have your own)
  • Quart & Jumbo one-zip bags
  • Bandaids
  • Sense of humor

Things I recommend having, but you can easily get in Hawaii if you want to:

• Sunscreen
  • Bug spray / wipes (for some luaus, zipping, etc)
  • Various toiletries
  • Refillable water bottle
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Gum
  • Misc. snacks

Hope that helps! :)

Archived