Soda in airline checked luggage???

John Reid

I'll be flying into FLL for a Liberty cruise out of Miami. I have no choice but to fly same day as departure. I will have plenty of time to take a shuttle to Miami Cruise Port, but being dropped off there, I won't have a chance to pick up soda. It isn't so much a cost thing, I just need to have decaffeinated soda (caffeine free Diet Coke). Other than HAL, I've never seen it available on any ship.

Have any of you ever packed soda padded in checked luggage? Do airlines allow it?

Thanks for any insights.

Airlines allow it. I've done it many times. Never a problem. I usually pack a case of beer for every cruise.

I have done it many times. your main concern will be with your weight if you have limits/restrictions.

sometimes it's easier for me to throw a 6 pack in my roller bag. all my other luggage will be left with the porter, and i carry my drinks onboard (the ship) with me in my roller bag. no problem.

As an airline employee, this is something I do a lot. don't worry about it. i wouldn't put an ice pick in the suitcase for fear of it puncturing the cans lol, but it's seriously, it's not a problem. cans of cokes fly all the time on airplanes.

I think you should be fine, but to be sure I would wrap them in a towel and then wrap a/an electric cord around them so they don't move around,

It will also make things interesting if they pick your bag to be xrayed at the airport. Ha Ha

I really think it will be fine, but I would do the cab think not the shuttle and just stop and get some on the way.

do you have a small suit case with wheels on it? if so you could carry it on if the airline would let you.

I'm guessing you haven't flown since Sept 2001?

You can not carry any liquids (other than toiletries 3oz max) through security.

It has nothing to do with the airlines and everything to do with the TSA.

DO NOT try this, you will be 100% be out of the cost of your soda/water.

I'm guessing you haven't flown since Sept 2001?

You can not carry any liquids (other than toiletries 3oz max) through security.

It has nothing to do with the airlines and everything to do with the TSA.

DO NOT try this, you will be 100% be out of the cost of your soda/water.

Yep, even me, badged employee with higher security clearance then the ones screening me, cannot get a coke (open or unopened) through security. :rolleyes: go figure!

they have trash cans right there for you to throw it away, or you can stand there and drink it, or you can get out of line and go check your bags. Those will be your choices if you try this at the airport. The drinks must go in your checked luggage...but carried on with you on the ship.

Archived