Rio Airport Hotel

ORCRUISER

I am interested in finding a hotel near the Rio airport. My plan, because we're not big city people, is to get a tour picking us up from the cruise and do Rio in a day having them drop us off at an airport hotel in the late afternoon/evening. The next day go to the airport to fly to Iguazu Falls for 2-3 nights then back to the Rio airport for the flight home.

There are 2 accomodation options inside the airport, neither of which is worthwhile IMO. Other than that, you do not want to stay near the GIG airport; it is not a good neighborhood for tourists. You could get a business hotel in Catete (near the deserted after work hours downtown) or try the budget Ibis near the in-town Santos Dumont airport, or simply stay in Copacabana which is just 10 more minutes or in Ipanema, the next neighborhood and somewhat more upscale (which translates into looking safer for some), both of which have th majority of tourist infrastructure. In Copacabana and Ipanema, you would have more options for meals and some people watching, and it is safe enough to stoll around for a bit in the evening on the main shopping street in either neighborhood. A yellow taxi from either to the GIG airport should be around R$60-80 (at about 2 reais to 1 US dollar).

Thank you for your comments but I would still like to explore the possibility of staying at the airport. If anyone knows the names of the two hotels at the Rio airport I would appreciate this information.

Thank you for your comments but I would still like to explore the possibility of staying at the airport. If anyone knows the names of the two hotels at the Rio airport I would appreciate this information.

As the previous posters have pointed out, there are two airports.

When you disembark the cruise ship you are much closer to the domestic airport, Santos Dumont, than you are to GIG. Consequently, it will be easier to stay in a Zona Sul neighborhood hotel, e.g., Catete, Flamingo, Copacabana than a hotel close to GIG especially as you are likely to board the plane for the ride to Iguazu at Santos Dumont. When you return to Santos Dumont after Iguazu , then you can cab it to GIG.

If your plane ride to Iguazu leaves from and returns to GIG, and assuming you will not be returning to the hotel when you return to Rio, it still makes no sense to travel to the GIG area to stay in a hotel when you disembark the cruise. It would not save you any significant travel time. It would just mean you make the trip from the downtown cruise pier to the GIG hotel before the Iguazu trip rather than after.

Moreover, if your all day tour guide is meeting you at the pier what do you plan to do about your excess luggage? If you stayed at a hotel near the pier and/or Santos Dumont that would allow you to check in or at least drop off your bags before taking the tour.

My flights to and from Iguazu are from GIG so I just thought an airport hotel would be convenient but I am certainly not against staying in the other neighborhoods. My trip is still over 5 months out so I have some time. Thanks for your comments.

Presumably you are going to be in Rio to see this exciting city, not be locked up in a relatively isolated, undistinguished airport that could be anywhere, in a sub-standard value hotel room. Rio is a vibrant city with a lively night scene and many opportunities to enjoy it from a convenient base where you can stroll around comfortably. You have gotten good advice from two posters very familiar with the city of Rio, its layout and characteristics. So do use these coming months to make a wise decision. Boa viagem.

The main hotel in the airport, on level 2 of Terminal 1, is the Luxor. We actually got a tour of the rooms, for possible future reference. It looked so-so, but at rates you'd pay for a much better hotel. I'd only consider it if I had a very late arrival and/or very early departure in the morning. There is also a very, very basic "pousada" in the basement of the airport, which I haven't seen, but where my wife (Brazilian) stayed many years ago. She would not return.

I'd just stay in a more desirable area, such as Ipanema or Copacabana, and then get up a bit earlier for your onward flight (if it's early). There is nothing decent near the airport, as noted above. Not safe, not desirable area. There are some decent hotels in the "Centro" near the Santos Dumont Airport (some have airport in the name), but IF I weren't going to say in the beach areas, I'd choose Flamengo or Botafogo. At least many decent restaurants in the neighborhood. You won't see absolutely everything on a quick tour, so it'd be a shame to go from there to a non-descript and far from luxurious airport hotel rather than a nice area where you can walk around in the evening or at least get nicer atmosphere.

While it would be more convenient to fly from the smaller, in-town Santos Dumont Airport (SDU), than from the international airport (GIG), but the selection of flights will be smaller and fares can be higher. And from GIG you can get non-stops to Foz de Iguaçu. Traffic from town to GIG is bad in the late afternoon and early evening. You should find flights in the morning or early afternoon.

What time does your cruise arrive? Tours may be full day or half-day, especially group tours. You are likely to have some free time. I think you'd enjoy that time, even just dinner and afterwards, and maybe some the next morning, more in Ipanema or Copacabana, or maybe Flamengo/Botafogo, than the airport. I have been to GIG many, many times. It is NOT a fun airport to spend time in. I'd rate LAX far ahead of it.

Archived