Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Remember my co-worker André. He sent me this brainstorm from work (I have the day off). He is proposing that the blocks seen in the lower inset photo are from the stern of the ship where the Ripcord is located. He thinks that we're seeing the base of the iFly ride on the right-most block. (Oh why did I put it on Pinterest for him to see?! :( )

Hmmm. Possible. Who knows. Now get back to work, André!

The inset photo was posted by Meyer Werft with their October 25 2013 press release about the NCL Getaway's float out on November 2 2013. I assume its recent.

blockplansternblocks_zps8d52d0e8.jpg

What makes that plausible is the 3rd piece on the left. It does appear to be narrow at the top like the upper & rear-most dark green (?) block shown in the block plan. The whole piece fits above the Two 70 block that we have seen in earlier posts. I would say that we are seeing 'part of' the Ripcord base. Good catch, André. Or should I say "C'est une bonne prise, André" (I had to use Google Translate for that)

Edited by Cutesy Pie Lover

parts they use to square off the openings aren't structural and therefore wouldn't be under nearly as much stress (and tiny cracks wouldn't be a big deal).

Ah thats is more sensible . I understood why they were rounded , as this was the problem with the Comet .

The windows were too square

Remember my co-worker André. He sent me this brainstorm from work (I have the day off). He is proposing that the blocks seen in the lower inset photo are from the stern of the ship where the Ripcord is located. He thinks that we're seeing the base of the iFly ride on the right-most block. (Oh why did I put it on Pinterest for him to see?! :( )

The inset photo was posted by Meyer Werft with their October 25 2013 press release about the NCL Getaway's float out on November 2 2013. I assume its recent.

That is so cool. I wonder where the bottom block (that goes below the Two70 block) is right now? In the basin or up on the dock?

Good video. Like that inside shot of Two70. Hope to see more like it. The last photo -- Is that actually the stern of the Quantum? They won't be adding any blocks/keel past it? there's no room to do so, and they can't lift the build to shift it over, right?!!

Good question! If the end of the build at the far end of the basin is not the stern, and they still have some blocks to add past that end, can they float an incomplete keel to shift it forward?! Anyone know?

Good question! If the end of the build at the far end of the basin is not the stern, and they still have some blocks to add past that end, can they float an incomplete keel to shift it forward?! Anyone know?

An incomplete keel would not be water tight so I don't believe it would float. They can probably make it water tight to move it but to me it makes more sense to start with the stern and build forward. Once the entire hull is complete it can be floated and moved forward to make room for Anthem.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

An incomplete keel would not be water tight so I don't believe it would float. They can probably make it water tight to move it but to me it makes more sense to start with the stern and build forward. Once the entire hull is complete it can be floated and moved forward to make room for Anthem.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

If Meyer Werft actually follows the block diagram that's been posted, then looking at the build so far - and what few pics there are of the end of the build near the end of the basin so far - I think it's possible that the stern block* hasn't been layed down yet. Now, it could just be bad camera angles, and (1) all the first six 'columns' of blocks from stern to the hump are there, and (2) there is in fact room to add the stern block if it's not there yet. As mentioned, it would make more sense to start with the stern and build forward toward the NCL Getaway.

As for moving the huge existing build. Yipes. I've watched a few time lapse youtube videos in the past, and it's been done by floating and by laying some sort of track (correct term?) under the keel.

We'll find out soon enough. It was Tough as Leather's question that got me thinking about the logistics of it all. Too much time on my hands with the family away visiting grandma!!! :D

* In the block diagram, its the salmon(?) colored one below the dark blue colored Two70 block.

Edited by Cutesy Pie Lover

Most builds at Meyer Werft are floated and moved in a partial state at some point. Prior to the extending of the hall a few years back they would float half ships from the back dock to the front dock. Now they have enough room to build nearly the entire length of a ship in the back part of the hall before floating it forward into the main dock. This has allowed them to speed up the construction calendar. I remember seeing the pictures of the first Solstice class ship being moved and it was a large tower with a fully exposed slice. The final ship in the class was after the extending and the only part not on her was the final blocks that included the bulbous bow and helipad area of the bow.

Most builds at Meyer Werft are floated and moved in a partial state at some point. Prior to the extending of the hall a few years back they would float half ships from the back dock to the front dock. Now they have enough room to build nearly the entire length of a ship in the back part of the hall before floating it forward into the main dock. This has allowed them to speed up the construction calendar. I remember seeing the pictures of the first Solstice class ship being moved and it was a large tower with a fully exposed slice. The final ship in the class was after the extending and the only part not on her was the final blocks that included the bulbous bow and helipad area of the bow.

Thanks for that answer.

Geez. They don't change the image for a week, and this is what happens during that time.

And that is looking like part of the Seaplex in Hall 5. That looks like one of those rectangular pods with the big window growing out of the side of it.

October28_zpsd59630a1.png

Thanks for the photo, Tough as Leather!

Edited by Lloyd555
Thank TasL

Nice big block added! :D You would think we would be seeing the glass structure over the first pool on the Getaway nearing completion or at least most of the glass on the ship being added. :confused:

I was going to say something to you earlier when you commented on the glass last week. They are actually taking OFF the green protective film over the glass. The glass is clear. Viewing the webcam, it looks like they only have a few cabins left to do.

Look at a breakaway photo like this. The glass is clear.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Norwegian_Breakaway_36.JPG

I have been wrong before, but I'm pretty sure.

Well, it turns out that the left-most block in the image above that André was interested in is from the stern of the Quantum of the Seas. Narrow at the top, but widening towards the bottom. :rolleyes:

Appears to be the block with the loft suits.

bampw_3_zps8c0024e1.jpg

bampw_2_zpsbcb60145.jpg

Liking this photo showing deck 14 downwards to deck 5:

bampw_1_zpsf65eca84.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Well, it turns out that the left-most block in the image above that André was interested in is from the stern of the Quantum of the Seas. Narrow at the top, but widening towards the bottom. :rolleyes:

Appears to be the block with the loft suits.

bampw_3_zps8c0024e1.jpg

bampw_2_zpsbcb60145.jpg

Liking this photo showing deck 14 downwards to deck 5:

bampw_1_zpsf65eca84.jpg

Holy cow! This loft suites block and the Two70 block are crazy!! Hope we see them in some new webcam images later on. And nice shot of the large port holes in the cabins in the tail end of the hump.

I was going to say something to you earlier when you commented on the glass last week. They are actually taking OFF the green protective film over the glass. The glass is clear. Viewing the webcam, it looks like they only have a few cabins left to do.

Look at a breakaway photo like this. The glass is clear.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Norwegian_Breakaway_36.JPG

I have been wrong before, but I'm pretty sure.

Ah yes, good eye although I do believe there is still come glass to be added on the upper decks. I'm getting pretty excited for November 2, that date is fast approaching.

WOW, the loft suite block is massive! How neat is that?!

Norwegian Getaway set to float out in a week, on November 2 2013 at approx. 10.30 a.m.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/medien/wichtige_termine/wichtige_termine.jsp

Finally Quantum of the Seas will have Hall 6 to herself. Well, until Anthem blocks arrive.

And speaking of Quantum class ships, these are blocks on their way to Meyer Werft:

Float out moved to approx. 3:30 p.m. Now I don't have to get up at 4:00 a.m. :D

Also, apparently there was a small fire at Meyer Werft Monday or yesterday? All I've read so far is that insulating material on a new build caught fire. Don't know which ship was involved. There had been another fire back in March on the NCL Getaway. Don't know if someone is mixing up their news/dates?

http://www.schiffe-und-kreuzfahrten.de/feuer-auf-der-meyer-werft-isoliermaterial-auf-schiffsneubau-brannte/

Edited by Lloyd555

Float out moved to approx. 3:30 p.m. Now I don't have to get up at 4:00 a.m. :D

Germany is five hours ahead of US Eastern time zone right now. That would make the float out at 10:30 am Eastern. Unless it gets pushed to Sunday...then we drop daylight savings which I'm not sure they do. That would make it 6 if they do not.

Germany is five hours ahead of US Eastern time zone right now. That would make the float out at 10:30 am Eastern. Unless it gets pushed to Sunday...then we drop daylight savings which I'm not sure they do. That would make it 6 if they do not.

I'll have my laptop on in the background to watch the float out while I do house chores. Hoping to see a video image like this one when Disney Fantasy was floated out and the videographer (inselvideo on YouTube) got a shot of the Celebrity Reflection inside the Meyer Werft hall.

CelebrityReflexionbuildvisibleduringDisneyFantasyfloatout_zps48dc8002.jpg

Is there a link to the feed yet? Or is there not even a feed, but rather youtube videos?

I was wondering the same thing. As it is currently, there is no 'video' only still taken from their web cam, about once a week.

If this is the only source, then waking up early won't be worth it.

I was wondering the same thing. As it is currently, there is no 'video' only still taken from their web cam, about once a week.

If this is the only source, then waking up early won't be worth it.

The feed may be on their media>TV Footage page?

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/medien/tv_footage/tv-footage.jsp

Here are links to two different sites that say they will have a live stream of the float out. They are both in German but chrome translates them pretty well.

http://www.ndr.de/regional/niedersachsen/oldenburg/getaway117.html

This one seems to be from an amateur videographer.

http://www.hd1080i.de/videos/schiffsvideos/ausdocken-norwegian-getaway

There may be more than these too. If you go on NCL's building the Getaway page there is a box with Tweets about the Getaway on the right and that's where I found these links. I suspect there may be more as the float out approaches.

Here are links to two different sites that say they will have a live stream of the float out. They are both in German but chrome translates them pretty well.

http://www.ndr.de/regional/niedersachsen/oldenburg/getaway117.html

This one seems to be from an amateur videographer.

http://www.hd1080i.de/videos/schiffsvideos/ausdocken-norwegian-getaway

There may be more than these too. If you go on NCL's building the Getaway page there is a box with Tweets about the Getaway on the right and that's where I found these links. I suspect there may be more as the float out approaches.

Thanks for sharing the links. Clicking on the first link takes you to the site that has some Getaway photos as well as some Quantum blocks that I dont think we have seen yet. Like these below. Where is Lloyd and Andre:)

getaway151_v-contentgross.jpg

getaway149_v-contentgross.jpg

Thanks for sharing the links. Clicking on the first link takes you to the site that has some Getaway photos as well as some Quantum blocks that I dont think we have seen yet. Like these below. Where is Lloyd and Andre:)

getaway151_v-contentgross.jpg

getaway149_v-contentgross.jpg

I don't know about André, but I was spending the day running some errands. Thanks for the photos. Nice of the NDR site to add these updated ones. Like the one with the employee up on the gangway. Didn't notice that it was there.

Looking forward to tomorrow's float out.

Edited by Lloyd555

I don't know about André, but I was spending the day running some errands. Thanks for the photos. Nice of the NDR site to add these updated ones. Like the one with the employee up on the gangway. Didn't notice that it was there.

Looking forward to tomorrow's float out.

Yes indeed, the float out should be very interesting. Like Tough as Leather stated, I hope we get to see some of the images at the back of the Hall. During the Norwegian Breakaway float-out one website had a video of the inside of Hall 6 all around the ship. Cant remember though which one.

The first picture above looks like the top aft section and maybe the open part of the Windjammer?

Yes indeed, the float out should be very interesting. Like Tough as Leather stated, I hope we get to see some of the images at the back of the Hall. During the Norwegian Breakaway float-out one website had a video of the inside of Hall 6 all around the ship. Cant remember though which one.

The first picture above looks like the top aft section and maybe the open part of the Windjammer?

With all the videographers and photographers at the event, we're likely going to see something of the inside of the hall. Open part of the Windjammer and the spot above the loft suites, concierge lounge & conference center. Nice. Seeing some keel blocks on deck.

Update: André spent the day crashing from a sugar rush he got eating most of his kids' Halloween candy! He better be back in form for tomorrow's float out. :D

Edited by Lloyd555