Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Yup, you got me. :cool:

I snuck him into Meyer Werft in the inside of one of those Royal Promenade vintage cars. It was delivered early to the ship yard to facilitate its insertion into the interior of the ship. With the help of two teddy bear cohorts, who periodically release him from the confines of the trunk, he is able to sneak a few shots of the Quantum of the Seas.

Mind you, the scheme almost did not go off as planned...

HiddenintrunkinPromenadecarinTwo70_zps5c6b7562.png

LOL, but I'm back to throwing you in a pool on the ship next February. Actually, make it the ocean. :mad:

Edit: That was post #500, by the way. How many posts did the Oasis build sub-forum get?

Edited by Tough as Leather

Here’s an aerial view of the Getaway after the float out… and that open back door. Hmmmm… Does anyone have blue overalls and a helmet that I can borrow?

November22013_openbackdoorduringdaytime_zpsdb303462.jpg

Photo courtesy website solingen-von-oben.de

And inside the hall, the Quantum has more leg room! With the Norwegian Getaway gone, the Quantum of the Seas build can grow larger and faster. Also room for her sister ship, the Anthem of the Seas to have her keel laid.

Where's the drain for that basin? Must get clogged with junk!:D

November5_dcsauer82instagram_DavidSauer_zps534d731a.jpg

Photo courtesy David Sauer on Instagram.

Edited by Lloyd555

And here's another video that I was told to look out for:

After the Getaway float out on November 2, the Meyer Werft employees were still hard at work late at night. This is a view through an open door at the other end of Hall 6.

Great video Lloyd and thanks for sharing. Some of the blocks are brought in through that entrance at times.

Here’s an aerial view of the Getaway after the float out… and that open back door. Hmmmm… Does anyone have blue overalls and a helmet that I can borrow?

November22013_openbackdoorduringdaytime_zpsdb303462.jpg

Photo courtesy website solingen-von-oben.de

And inside the hall, the Quantum has more leg room! With the Norwegian Getaway gone, the Quantum of the Seas build can grow larger and faster. Also room for her sister ship, the Anthem of the Seas to have her keel laid.

Where's the drain for that basin? Must get clogged with junk!:D

November5_dcsauer82instagram_DavidSauer_zps534d731a.jpg

Photo courtesy David Sauer on Instagram.

They must still be draining the dock and will have to move the object on the left of the picture with cables attached to it. I think this was the piece in the building dock that separated Quantum and Getaway?

Great video Lloyd and thanks for sharing. Some of the blocks are brought in through that entrance at times.

I really like those vehicles they use to move the blocks around. Could use one to get my garbage bins to the curb.

Youtube's inselvideo and amSeehafen (Quantum blocks being towed by tugs videos) are aquainted with each other. Visits to Meyer Werft's visitor's centre/center are planned by amSeehafen, who lives nearby. Besides the videos, she takes great photos as well.

Edited by Lloyd555

From the last photo looking down the length of the almost dry dock there doesn't seem to be a lot of wiggle room left to right in the dry dock for Quantum.

Good thing she only has to move vertically to float, not much else she can move. I would imagine they have that dock sized out to the maximum of the river the boats have to pass down to leave the ship yard. That could be a sign of what to expect in a year when she tries to leave.

I'll be off to Meyer Werft in January for a tour as part of my Naval Architecture degree, so i'll try and get some photos of Quantum! It is a facilities tour by the technical director so I would imagine this will include the building docks.

Can you fit us all into your suitcases?!

Hope you have a safe trip, and yes, take plenty of photos!

Anyone have a wish list of what they'd like to see?

Edited by Lloyd555

Anything that has "more to come" stenciled on the side. :D:D:D

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The Ripcord, the promenade and whatever is on the port side of the rear of the ship, in line with the rock wall on deck 15 (People were once talking about a virtual wave rider :rolleyes: ).

Edited by Tough as Leather

Agree with you both on the promenade.

Saw a photo on Instagram a while back that didn't show much of the Quantum build, but I recently came upon more photos associated with it. Turns out it was photos of a tour given to Ferchau Engineering on October 10th. One of the photos gives a glimpse of the build's elusive blocks at the end of the basin.

FERCHAUEngineering_October11d_zps6c5d2f93.jpg

Anyhow, here's a few more photos from that tour. Good photography.

FERCHAUEngineering_October11_zpsc44e823f.jpg

FERCHAUEngineering_October11e_zps52845b6a.jpg

FERCHAUEngineering_October11b_zps85764b03.jpg

TwitterFERCHAUEngineering_October11_zps31ef9dde.jpg

I think that this runs the ice-cream machines by the kids' pool.

FERCHAUEngineering_October11f_zps63410569.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Lloyd, thanks for posting those pictures. I think one of those blocks next to Sonne in Hall 5 is now in Hall 6 and was next to Getaway. Ingrid added some new pictures that I noticed late last night and you can see a few blocks of Quantum. The pictures are of Getaway and they are just amazing.

Water Slide Simulator on the opposite side of the Rockwall ???

Yes, that's it. Thanks.

Silly me. The virtual wave rider would be the FlowRider. D'oh.

I shouldn't post on CC after an 11 K run home and two glasses of wine. I was zonked!

Agree with you both on the promenade.

Saw a photo on Instagram a while back that didn't show much of the Quantum build, but I recently came upon more photos associated with it. Turns out it was photos of a tour given to Ferchau Engineering on October 10th. One of the photos gives a glimpse of the build's elusive blocks at the end of the basin.

FERCHAUEngineering_October11d_zps6c5d2f93.jpg

I think that this runs the ice-cream machines by the kids' pool.

FERCHAUEngineering_October11f_zps63410569.jpg

Elusive is right! Would it kill a photographer to get a photo of the build from the edge of the end of the basin? Even maybe a shot downwards into the basin of the keel? Geez.

Icecream maker, huh? :D

Remember this old post?

Thanks to some snooping while waiting for the bus, I found a photo taken in June by a tourist at Meyer Werft. You can see the other end of the block that Mass2Cruise is focusing on in the photo at the bottom of post #43 (with red circle), as well as three smaller blocks.

Do you think the two similar blocks on the right belong to the lower aft end of the Quantum?

MWphoto1_zps36653d78.jpg

I was looking at this again against the deck plans and other pictures of Quantum. Those two similar curve blocks may be too small for the lower aft end. There is chance that they could be the blocks right below the RipCord by IFly section. There is curve block on the outer side of of the RipCord on the starboard and port side.

I think that the three similar curved blocks turned out to be the sterns of some river boats or tugs. Darn them for misdirecting us!! :confused::rolleyes:

Lookslikeblocksinphoto-MaybeAugust2013_2_zpse86c6148.jpg

Remember this old post?

I think that the three similar curved blocks turned out to be the sterns of some river boats or tugs. Darn them for misdirecting us!! :confused::rolleyes:

Lookslikeblocksinphoto-MaybeAugust2013_2_zpse86c6148.jpg

Great find. I often wondered what happened to those blocks. They must have had a laugh about our guesses. Then again they should be glad to know there are some true ship builing fans out there. Hence we will keep trying to find things on the Quantum class.

I was doing some digging in patents filled for Royal Caribbean International and found some cool pictures that could mean nothing at all, but its fun to speculate.

I think these relate to Quantum because there is one photo of a drawing of the new family connected staterooms that will be on quantum.

US07617790-20091117-D00004.png

Here is a photo showing new balcony glass, I haven't seen it on any other ships yet.

US07617790-20091117-D00010.png

That's not the interesting stuff though, it's the dining room pictures that are cool:

US07617790-20091117-D00011.png

US07617790-20091117-D00012.png

Those pictures are described as being for a MDR and nothing else, so it would be cool to have a giant glass window like that on either side of the ship.

I just thought this was interesting stuff that RCI has filled as a patent yet we haven't seen this on any of there ships yet - so you never know!