Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

With the suspicion that something is going on behind the Getaway that is related to the Quantum of the Seas, if I booked a cruise on the Quantum now, and had to create a countdown clock, it would probably look like this…

QuantumbehindGetaway_zps14c05e27.png

Too funny!! Thanks for the laugh!

With the suspicion that something is going on behind the Getaway that is related to the Quantum of the Seas, if I booked a cruise on the Quantum now, and had to create a countdown clock, it would probably look like this…

QuantumbehindGetaway_zps14c05e27.png

Ha! :p

Maybe you can wait until August 5th to book. Keel laying ceremony that day perhaps.

What's up with the Getaway? Angle got tighter to the ship and now excludes the bow. Plus, there is some sheeting blocking the front. Can't tell if it wraps around the section below the bridge or is draped in a manor to block out what the camera could not.

2013_07_22_Halle_6_W466.jpg

What's up with the Getaway? Angle got tighter to the ship and now excludes the bow. Plus, there is some sheeting blocking the front. Can't tell if it wraps around the section below the bridge or is draped in a manor to block out what the camera could not.

I mentioned several days ago that if they keep zooming in they will soon be inside the Getaway Bridge :)

I think the cover in front maybe because they are now painting the bow. Parts of the front was covered on 7/2 but taken out on 7/16 from pictures I saw.

I think that the sheeting is protecting the area under it, which includes cabin windows, from the work being done above it. As for not showing the bow, if the artist is working on (the pre-production of) the artwork that is going there, perhaps he is picky about being watched on camera, and wants to keep his privacy? Who knows.

I mentioned several days ago that if they keep zooming in they will soon be inside the Getaway Bridge :)

I think the cover in front maybe because they are now painting the bow. Parts of the front was covered on 7/2 but taken out on 7/16 from pictures I saw.

Whaaa? Webcam pictures? Or photos? Curious minds want to know. :D

Good one Lloyd:). Webcam pictures. I have not made the trip to Germany yet. Call me crazy but I have been saving them by date whenever I can.

I was hoping you had a friend or relative in Germany who was sharing photos on Facebook or Flickr :).

If I could, I would travel to Germany, not just for MW, of course. There's also a marathon 'Untertage Marathon Sondershausen' in a salt mine 700m underground in Sondershausen, Germany (389 km, 4 hour driving from Papenburg), that has piqued my curiosity.

Edited by Lloyd555

Yay I bet the bow painting is being done right now!! That would be why they keep zooming in and have the sheet over the front windows. They want to keep the artwork a secret until she pulls for the first time! Even though we know what it will look like, we don't know how it will look in real life.

This means we are getting closer and closer! :D

I know it was mentioned earlier in this post, including pictures, that a complete ship and part of another can be built in the one dock at any given time. I found this website, http://www.buildinggetaway.ncl.com/ and it looks like Getaway was built towards the front, and floated back. So I'm wondering if they might be starting to lay block in the front of Getaway? I'm definitely excited to see it get started.

I know it was mentioned earlier in this post, including pictures, that a complete ship and part of another can be built in the one dock at any given time. I found this website, http://www.buildinggetaway.ncl.com/ and it looks like Getaway was built towards the front, and floated back. So I'm wondering if they might be starting to lay block in the front of Getaway? I'm definitely excited to see it get started.

The getaway was floated forward to make room for the keel laying of quantum ! It was mentioned before that the keel laying is reported to be about the 5th of aug.

The getaway was floated forward to make room for the keel laying of quantum ! It was mentioned before that the keel laying is reported to be about the 5th of aug.

That's intersting. From the webcam, it sure doesn't look like there's much room behind the Getaway. It makes sense thought that they would move it forward. This is killing me. They need to move those freaking cameras. lol Do any other cruise ship builders have webcams?

That's intersting. From the webcam, it sure doesn't look like there's much room behind the Getaway. It makes sense thought that they would move it forward. This is killing me. They need to move those freaking cameras. lol Do any other cruise ship builders have webcams?

Not that I know of, but there are others on this website that might be able to help with the web cam question. There is a picture on the building of the getaway that shows the distance from the breakaway to the keel laying of the getaway it looks like it's a good distance to start building

Based on a diagram I have seen of that assembly building, the dock is divided into thirds by watertight dry dock doors. The Getaway is taking up the front 2/3 of the space, which leaves room to build most of the aft half of the Quantum in the remaining third behind the getaway.

Eric

Getaway was built in the back of Hall 6 and floated forward. If you go back and look at the building of Breakaway you will see part of Getaway in the back of Breakaway. Other parts of Getaway were also built in Hall 2 that had Aida Stella. Meyer Werft has not shown the Webcam of Hall 2 since Aida Stella departed the hall. So who knows what is going on back there? When you open the link below, the picture in the webcam before you click "READ MORE" is Aida Stella in Hall 2 with parts of Geatway on the side I believe.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/werft/das_unternehmen/das_unternehmen.jsp

Here's the latest video that I have found of a very recent visit to Hall 6 at Meyer Werft (I believe that it's last week - according to the video owner's reply to a comment I made in YouTube):

The Getaway is definitely parked nose up against the doors. If there is anything being done with Quantum of the Seas blocks, it is being done behind it (and next to it, as we can see), and possibly in another hall.

It appears as if there are now (at least) three of the semi-circular blocks.

They've done some work on them as well.

Remember: These blocks may be upside down.

3rdweekofJuly_maybeJuly18_zps0c948fdf.jpg

Here is a MW Hall 5 video by the same person. Maybe some Quantum of the Seas blocks there as well ?;)

There are also some videos by this person of Quantum keel blocks being towed on the River Ems toward Meyer Werft on May 3 and 16, 2013.

Edited by Lloyd555

Here's the latest video that I have found of a very recent visit to Hall 6 at Meyer Werft (I believe that it's last week - according to the video owner's reply to a comment I made in YouTube):

The Getaway is definitely parked nose up against the doors. If there is anything being done with Quantum of the Seas blocks, it is being done behind it (and next to it, as we can see), and possibly in another hall.

It appears as if there are now (at least) three of the semi-circular blocks.

They've done some work on them as well.

Remember: These blocks may be upside down.

3rdweekofJuly_maybeJuly18_zps0c948fdf.jpg

Here is a MW Hall 5 video by the same person. Maybe some Quantum of the Seas blocks there as well ?;)

There are also some videos by this person of Quantum keel blocks being towed on the River Ems toward Meyer Werft on May 3 and 16, 2013.

Very cool stuff. Good quality video.

Somewhere along the way here I may have completely blown it by mentioning Hall 2 at Meyer Werft. The Aida ships were indeed built in Hall 5, and some parts of the NCL Breakaway and Getaway as well. With that said I think Lloyd had posted some pictures here of Hall 5 with the Sonne. Along side of the Sonne were several blocks that seemed too big or many for the research vessel Sonne. So now that I have corrected at least my mistake about a Hall 5 instead of Hall 2, the guesses that some of those blocks could also be Quantum may be correct.

Somewhere along the way here I may have completely blown it by mentioning Hall 2 at Meyer Werft. The Aida ships were indeed built in Hall 5, and some parts of the NCL Breakaway and Getaway as well. With that said I think Lloyd had posted some pictures here of Hall 5 with the Sonne. Along side of the Sonne were several blocks that seemed too big or many for the research vessel Sonne. So now that I have corrected at least my mistake about a Hall 5 instead of Hall 2, the guesses that some of those blocks could also be Quantum may be correct.

This from the owner of the two videos in Lloyd555's previous post:

Well, unfortunately our guide only mentioned, that the parts in Hall 5 - besides the Sonne - belong to 5 different River Cruise Liners, but sadly she couldn´t tell us the names. She only mentioned, that MW builds for their daughter Company Neptun Wharf, because they try to keep all their mutual workers employed.

Edited by Tough as Leather
Oops. Claimed post as mine. Need a nap!

This from the owner of the two videos in Lloyd555's previous post:

Well, unfortunately our guide only mentioned, that the parts in Hall 5 - besides the Sonne - belong to 5 different River Cruise Liners, but sadly she couldn´t tell us the names. She only mentioned, that MW builds for their daughter Company Neptun Wharf, because they try to keep all their mutual workers employed.

Thanks for sharing this. There were too many blocks in Hall 5 to be all for Sonne. I was looking at some brochures sent to me from by MF late yesterday and realized there was no Hall 2. Lol

I keep meaning to ask: Is there another webcam at the other end of Hall 6?

Because when work does begin on Quantum, it will be blocked from view by Getaway (until it floats out this fall).

Yes there is. Check the images under google, "building Norwegian Breakaway". The attached picture shows the back of Hall 6 and Getaway.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUPFW0zqidWiQDLxUqoLSh7BuYxlNKtuDs8XdDKNEJHTacGMuxN8wPLH4