New to RCI. Point me to the best sources of info!

Greetings all!

We've sailed with Disney 5x's in under 2 years. Hubby's family aren't down with Disney so we're all sailing on the Allure for Thanksgiving this year. I've got the way of things down with Disney but am utterly clueless with Royal Caribbean. My in-laws have sailed on Oasis but it's been hard for me to get the jist of things from speaking with them.

Specifically, I've got these questions:

What's with reserving show times? Considering it's a holiday week and we're first timers to RCI, I have a feeling we'll not be scoring the good seats. Should I even bother trying to reserve anything ahead of time?

What dining options are included and which are upcharged? Are there assigned dining times or do I need to figure out reserving that, too?

"Formal" night(s). We've done formal: bought the tuxes, gown & evil shoes then learned how miserable all that hullabaloo makes us. We know how to do un-formal on formal night w/Disney. Should we just avoid MDRs on formal night(s) on Allure? What food options would we have (other than room service)? Out of consideration for other cruisers, we don't like to feel like we're dumbing-down a special evening for those who do enjoy dressing up. KWIM?

Aaaaand, I'm just looking for good all-around info to begin my crash-course in the way of things with Royal Caribbean cruises. Any and all suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :D

Greetings all!

We've sailed with Disney 5x's in under 2 years. Hubby's family aren't down with Disney so we're all sailing on the Allure for Thanksgiving this year. I've got the way of things down with Disney but am utterly clueless with Royal Caribbean. My in-laws have sailed on Oasis but it's been hard for me to get the jist of things from speaking with them.

Specifically, I've got these questions:

What's with reserving show times? Considering it's a holiday week and we're first timers to RCI, I have a feeling we'll not be scoring the good seats. Should I even bother trying to reserve anything ahead of time?

What dining options are included and which are upcharged? Are there assigned dining times or do I need to figure out reserving that, too?

"Formal" night(s). We've done formal: bought the tuxes, gown & evil shoes then learned how miserable all that hullabaloo makes us. We know how to do un-formal on formal night w/Disney. Should we just avoid MDRs on formal night(s) on Allure? What food options would we have (other than room service)? Out of consideration for other cruisers, we don't like to feel like we're dumbing-down a special evening for those who do enjoy dressing up. KWIM?

Aaaaand, I'm just looking for good all-around info to begin my crash-course in the way of things with Royal Caribbean cruises. Any and all suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :D

I can help with some questions.

Regarding show reservations, try to make them as soon as they become available on Royal's website. The reservations just guarantee you a place in the venue, they do not reserve specific seats. Most shows are repeated 4 times, comedy shows repeat more, so they can't do the traditional show for early and late dining. The comedy show is the same, so you need only to reserve one of those.

Here is a dining guide for Oasis/Allure food venues:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/10020614_Allure_Specialty_Restaurant_Flyer.pdf

I can help with some questions.

Regarding show reservations, try to make them as soon as they become available on Royal's website. The reservations just guarantee you a place in the venue, they do not reserve specific seats. Most shows are repeated 4 times, comedy shows repeat more, so they can't do the traditional show for early and late dining. The comedy show is the same, so you need only to reserve one of those.

Here is a dining guide for Oasis/Allure food venues:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/10020614_Allure_Specialty_Restaurant_Flyer.pdf

Thanks!

Being a holiday has no effect on the cruise except the price. The ships sail full 52 weeks a year

On O/A one should book shows when they open around 90 says in. With 6000 pax

they cannot have everyone trying to see shows at the same time, so it just a crowd control thing.

The windjammer, JR's, roomservice, Ritas would be choices for formal night if you don't want to dress.

Greetings all!

:D

If you dress neatly, preferably with at least a sport jacket you will be OK on Royal.

RCI does not stagger the ability to make reservations according to loyalty level, like DCL does. You will have as much opportunity to make reservations as anyone else. Seating is first come first served. If there is enough space, or if people with reservations don't show up, they will start letting people who are stand-by's (people who have lined up, but don't have reservations) in about 10 minutes before the show.

For the main dining room, there is early (or main) dining, late dining and my time dining. My time dining means you can make reservations for a time of your choosing, subject to availability, or just show up when you like. Unlike DCL, there is one huge main dining room. You have the same table and waitstaff all week, unless you choose my time dining, in which case, it works just like a restaurant - reservations or just show up and you get whatever table is available or you may have to wait.

On the Allure, there will be many specialty restaurants in addition to the main dining room. Some, but not all, will have an additional charge, similar to Palo. On nights you choose to go to a specialty restaurant or buffet, it's considered good form to let your waitstaff know you won't be in the MDR if you have fixed early or late dining.

RCI does not stagger the ability to make reservations according to loyalty level, like DCL does. You will have as much opportunity to make reservations as anyone else. Seating is first come first served. If there is enough space, or if people with reservations don't show up, they will start letting people who are stand-by's (people who have lined up, but don't have reservations) in about 10 minutes before the show.

For the main dining room, there is early (or main) dining, late dining and my time dining. My time dining means you can make reservations for a time of your choosing, subject to availability, or just show up when you like. Unlike DCL, there is one huge main dining room. You have the same table and waitstaff all week, unless you choose my time dining, in which case, it works just like a restaurant - reservations or just show up and you get whatever table is available or you may have to wait.

On the Allure, there will be many specialty restaurants in addition to the main dining room. Some, but not all, will have an additional charge, similar to Palo. On nights you choose to go to a specialty restaurant or buffet, it's considered good form to let your waitstaff know you won't be in the MDR if you have fixed early or late dining.

Ah! Okay! This is making good sense! It's easier to understand things in terms of what we already know. Thanks so much!

Archived