Quickie Review Of Costa Fortuna--5 June To 12 June 2005

single_spice

Hello all.

I don't have time to write a proper review of my 5 June sailing on Costa Fortuna, but here are some quick remarks:

ITINERARY: Savona-Naples-Palermo-Tunis-Palma de Mallorca-Barcelona-Savona

FLIGHTS: Arrived in Genoa Italy a day prior to sailing. Arrival in Genoa is a breeze. No customs hassle. Took the Volabus 100 from the airport (3 Euros) to the train station (Stazione Principe). Spent the night at the Hotel Savoia Majestic, which is literally across the street from the train station. No problems with the hotel.

GROUND TRANSPORT: Next morning, took a train from Genoa to Savona (port of embarkation). The train ride was cheap (about 4 Euros) and lasted a little under 1 hour. The taxi ride from the train station to the port was pricey (I paid $15 euros).

FELLOW PASSENGERS: Very international clientele. Being that I am originally from another country (although I reside in the US), I enjoyed that aspect of the cruise. Lots of Italians, followed by French, German, then probably Spanish and Portuguese speakers. Only a sprinkling of English speakers (mostly British). I’d say the passenger profile is probably on par with Royal Caribbean or Carnival (i.e., a mixture of families with young children, couples, twenty- and thirty-somethings, and retirees).

NIGHTTIME ENTERTAINMENT: sub par, at best. Definitely the weakest aspect of the cruise.

FOOD: Didn’t partake of the dining room experience. No major gripes with the breakfast/lunch/dinner buffet, with the exception of the desserts (a bit lackluster). Same breakfast items each morning but I didn’t mind. The other meals are tailored towards the European palate, which I didn’t mind. Pizza by the slice available every day until the wee hours of the night. The pizza wasn’t bad at all. The free coffee was better quality than what I’ve had on other cruises (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity), although I still wouldn’t pay money for it.

STATEROOM: I was in a category 11A (inside single stateroom). I lucked out because I was given a stateroom that was handicap accessible, so the bathroom and the room itself were huge relative to the other inside staterooms. Location was great. I was on the lido deck (Deck 9, where the pool and buffet restaurants are located).

FITNESS/SPA: Took advantage of some of the spa offerings. Had a lovely hot stone massage. Also had a so-so manicure and pedicure.

SHORE EXCURSIONS: They were okay, not great. I did the Caves of Drach in Palma de Mallorca and the Tour and Shopping excursion in Tunisia. FYI, there are shuttles for the Barcelona and Marseille ports, which you can take for 5 Euros, round-trip (can’t beat that!).

OVERALL VALUE: Not worth what I paid for (which was a ton!). At present, the US dollar is just too weak relative to the Euro, and I found things to be quite expensive. That being said, I enjoyed the international atmosphere, and there is certainly a different vibe on Mediterranean cruises than Caribbean cruises.

• 1 month later...

Archived