Best side on Amadeus Royal

top of the world

We are looking into taking a cruise in 2014 on the Danube from Nuremburg to Budapest and we were wondering which side of the boat is better. Does the boat (or boats in general) always dock on the same side? The lower rooms on that side would be looking at a cement wall when in port (unless you are on the top deck), the other side looking at the river. Do they vary the sides where they dock? If they always dock on the same side of the boat, which side would face the dock and which one would face the river? Does it matter if you are going upstream or downstream?

Even if you were on a different boat, what was your experience?

Thanks, Lise

Does the boat (or boats in general) always dock on the same side? The lower rooms on that side would be looking at a cement wall when in port (unless you are on the top deck), the other side looking at the river.

It is not uncommon for river boats to moor next to each other, so your only view from either side can be another boat.

They are docking with their bow upstream. Where exactly (in the port) and if they are double (or triple) docking is ordered by the port authorities, not a decisions made by the captain.

I think this board (if you use the search) came to conclusion that booking a particular side does not really matter, due to double docking and the fact that most cruisers spend their time rather in the lobby / sundeck area

They are docking with their bow upstream. Where exactly (in the port) and if they are double (or triple) docking is ordered by the port authorities, not a decisions made by the captain.

I think this board (if you use the search) came to conclusion that booking a particular side does not really matter, due to double docking and the fact that most cruisers spend their time rather in the lobby / sundeck area

ingo_e and Mark_T, thanks for your replies. I don't know if all the boats in all the towns dock with their bows upstream, but using that idea, we decided to reserve on the right side of the boat. I hope it was the right thing to do. Even if the boats moor (I guess that is the right expression!) side by side, one of those has to be the last one at the end. I'm sure that either side would be fine.

ingo_e, we will be in Nuremberg before the cruise, do you have any suggestions for a place to stay, places to visit or good restaurants in the area?

Thanks for your help, Lise

Archived