Upper respiratory infection after cruising?

mamaofami

I just got off the Westerdam on March 3rd. I was shocked and dismayed with the number of people all over the ship coughing, sneezing and hacking! It was terrible. I even mentioned it on my comments. I rarely saw anyone using the hand sanitizers. I’ve been on other cruise lines that have placed employees with hand sanitizer all over the ship asking everyone to use it and giving them a squirt. Much healthier.

• 8 months later...

I became ill  TWICE on a NCL large cruise ship (same ship).  January 2019 & October 2019.  It embarked from NY, no flight involved.  The January cruise broke out with the Norovirus.  I did not get it, but I did develop a sinus infection w/bad cough 3 days before we disembarked on this 14-day cruise from chemicals used to sanitize public areas.  Many others were affected also.  October 2019 cruise I sailed with 2 other friends  (I had my own solo cabin). By day 3 I started feeling dizzy and was sneezing, constantly rubbing my nose.  One of my friends became mildly ill also.  When we arrived at the one port, we met many other passengers in the large pharmacy buying otc medicines for upper respiratory illnesses.   Illness got bad enough after cruise, antibiotics prescribed both times by my doctors.

I'll be more proactive in wearing a mask and antibacterial wipes when I cruise again.

Edited by abengi

On 6/25/2017 at 9:54 PM, ShannonSC2 said:

He said please cough in your sleeves and wash hands

I wish people would follow that advice. I saw many cough into their hands on our cruise. We managed to avoid it by sticking to our balcony and eating at a table for 2. We also washed hands frequently.