Passports ashore

I was wondering what you do when you go ashore at the different ports, do you take your passports with you? Last year on Carnival they were asking some guests to produce their passports to get back on the ship. In the past, the Room Key would suffice.

Good question...I was wondering the same thing. I know on Baltic cruises, we have to take our passports with us for the St. Petersburg stop, but I didn't know about the remainder of the European ports.

you don't have to but I always carry my passport with me when i am not in the good ole USA.... just makes me feel better you never know when something could happen.... even something as simple as a minor fender bender can be a problem in anpther country...

I've actually never taken my passport with me when I'm on shore from a cruise in a foreign country. Unless a shore excursion that I am taking specifically tells me that I must have my passport, I leave it in the safe in the room. I do, however, carry a photocopy of the first page of my passport with me.

Its too much hassle if you end up losing your passport.

When we stopped in Cozumel and again in Progreso on Carnival Glory in January, Mexico authorities required a good ID to let you back on the ship. That meant valid drivers license or passport, but NOT your ship ID. Carnival only cared about the ship ID, but, their system had weak mag strips on the cards and they would fail often, and if that happened you needed to have ID on you to avoid waiting while your spouse or other person went to get the ID.

Archived