Elegant night= no suits?

mcatmcat

This debate always cracks me up. I couldn't care less what the person sitting near me is wearing. I am on VACATION! If you want to wear a tux go right ahead. I promise I will not judge you for it. :) My husband will be wearing nice slacks and a nice shirt. We are not lugging a suit to Florida for a 4 day cruise.

then and I am curious..if you don't enjoy the more formal aspects of the MDR..why don't you just eat in the Buffet each night? Same food. More choices.????

Why bother to come to the MDR..if not for the more formal atmosphere..and then dress to offend? Makes no sense to me. A pair of Khakis...a short sleeve shirt..........that is an effort? ReallY?

A dress... a nice pair of slacks ..a blouse....that is an effort?

why not try the Nudie crusies..They never have an issue with the correct dress and they sound like fun,nice folks.

If your not concerned how you look, wear what ever you want.

If you want the ladies to notice, Tux or suite and tie.

If your with your wife or girlfriend, dress to please her.

If she dosen't care how you dress, that ship might have sailed allready.

Thats how it works.:p

Over exposure of ugly, usually private body parts is offensive and tasteless. it is a deliberate Up Yours.. I will not conform.. I will be offensive and just swallow it..

I tired of people ....like that in the Sixties. Still am. When being shockingly different is the only way you can get noticed........get a life.

since when are legs private lol

I guess my wife should dress like she was a cast member of little house on the prairie ,dress to her feet and a nice sweater ;)

Myself I only notice my wife ,I could care less what anyone wears or does in the MDR ,we are too busy talking and don't have to kill time between courses judging MDR dress

Wear whatever you will be comfortable wearing. If you want to wear the suit, go for it! You want to ditch the tie, do it. Some people really enjoy dressing up and look forward to it, some of us don't.

I wore a nice button down on our last cruise and very grudgingly wore a tie. I don't like anything around my neck and spent half the night tugging at it, I even tug at t-shirts. I'm not comfortable in suits and feel ridiculous when wearing one so I will be wearing a nice button down without the tie. :)

I was sad to see no dress code enforcement for any night. :( It really detracts from the whole experience to see people wearing flip flops and tank tops in the dining room when we spent time showering and dressing for dinner. There are other dining options for those who want to come as they are for dinner.

We did dress on elegant night. I wore a very nice dress (NOT a sun dress), and my husband wore a suit and tie. It was fun to walk from station to station and take formal pics, even if we only purchased one. It was nice to walk arm in arm all dressed up, we don't do that in our daily lives, and it just made it a little more special. :)

I was sad to see no dress code enforcement for any night. :( It really detracts from the whole experience to see people wearing flip flops and tank tops in the dining room when we spent time showering and dressing for dinner. There are other dining options for those who want to come as they are for dinner.

We did dress on elegant night. I wore a very nice dress (NOT a sun dress), and my husband wore a suit and tie. It was fun to walk from station to station and take formal pics, even if we only purchased one. It was nice to walk arm in arm all dressed up, we don't do that in our daily lives, and it just made it a little more special. :)

Its was fun for you.We dress nice when we go to the MDR and do agree tank tops and flip flops shouldn't be allowed but we are going to dinner not a $10k gala .Its dinner on a cruise ship

We pay about $60 extra per bag when we cruise add that to my $600 airfare and I cannot justify the suit and tie

Our last cruise we bought $500 worth of formal night pictures with my slacks and button down short sleeve shirt and my wife in a sun dress

Some of you people amuse me. Arguing with each other over opinions. Kinda sad really. I personally feel that if you don't want to dress up or at least make some kind of effort on elegant night, go to one of the other dining options on board, or don't. My wife really enjoys getting dressed up on those nights so therefore I want to make the effort to make her happy not because she says so. And besides, if she's happy, that increases my chances of being happier later in the evening if ya know what I mean. Never underestimate the effect that a little grooming, effort, and suit has on your lady. Hehehe

If you are married and male (as I am), realistically, the dress code is whatever your wife says it is. lol.

Elegant night is not any different from any other night in the main dining room except that some of the passengers dress up. The only time I wear a suit is when we plan on have photos taken. There are more photo ops on elegant night than others.

I don’t really care what other people wear to dinner. I do care the way that they act.

I have found that many people think that being on a cruise is like it was in the movie Titanic. Not the sinking part. Just the part when passengers are all dressed in tuxedos and evening gowns strolling about on empty decks.

Some of you people amuse me. Arguing with each other over opinions. Kinda sad really. I personally feel that if you don't want to dress up or at least make some kind of effort on elegant night, go to one of the other dining options on board, or don't. My wife really enjoys getting dressed up on those nights so therefore I want to make the effort to make her happy not because she says so. And besides, if she's happy, that increases my chances of being happier later in the evening if ya know what I mean. Never underestimate the effect that a little grooming, effort, and suit has on your lady. Hehehe

Not like it matters that your new here but you will see soon ,some topics will never die ;)

MDR dress, tipping, chair hogs , all the cutbacks ,terrible food, smoking ,FTTF ,VIFP, shortage of snails .The list of BS that people complain about goes on and on and on

then and I am curious..if you don't enjoy the more formal aspects of the MDR..why don't you just eat in the Buffet each night? Same food. More choices.????

Why bother to come to the MDR..if not for the more formal atmosphere..and then dress to offend? Makes no sense to me. A pair of Khakis...a short sleeve shirt..........that is an effort? ReallY?

why not try the Nudie crusies..They never have an issue with the correct dress and they sound like fun,nice folks.

The buffet does not have all the same choices and that food sits out and dries up, we as a family go to dining room for fresher food and service, has nothing to do with what we or other people wear especially in the warm weather, no reason not for men to wear shorts and a nice shirt which is allowed and encouraged and should not affect any other people's dinner experience

Its was fun for you.We dress nice when we go to the MDR and do agree tank tops and flip flops shouldn't be allowed but we are going to dinner not a $10k gala .Its dinner on a cruise ship

We pay about $60 extra per bag when we cruise add that to my $600 airfare and I cannot justify the suit and tie

Our last cruise we bought $500 worth of formal night pictures with my slacks and button down short sleeve shirt and my wife in a sun dress

You were within the dress code, I have no issue with that at all. We did dress more formal, but nothing that isn't seen in church or at a wedding, that was our choice. I have no issue with people who clean up and dress nice in pants and a shirt. I'm not sure why you took offense at my post when you agreed that the flip flops and tank tops weren't appropriate yourself? It's my opinion, you are entitled to your own as well. :)

So if you do not dress up for your partner your marriage is over? I have been with my wife and she is just as attracted to me wearing a suit or cargos and a nice shirt. I am not on a cruise to impress other people just concerned about myself and my family

You were within the dress code, I have no issue with that at all. We did dress more formal, but nothing that isn't seen in church or at a wedding, that was our choice. I have no issue with people who clean up and dress nice in pants and a shirt. I'm not sure why you took offense at my post when you agreed that the flip flops and tank tops weren't appropriate yourself? It's my opinion, you are entitled to your own as well. :)

I didn't take offense at all. If you thought so im sorry

Some people don't dress up to go out to dinner and some dress everyday to go to work and when on vacation may want to dress down a little

So if you do not dress up for your partner your marriage is over? I have been with my wife and she is just as attracted to me wearing a suit or cargos and a nice shirt. I am not on a cruise to impress other people just concerned about myself and my family

My thoughts as well :)

I am too busy talking to my family /friends to care what other people are doing or wearing

Some people are so shallow. The person inside matters much more than the packaging.

If the person who is at the door of the MDR approves the attire, it is acceptable. That is the ONLY person on the ship that has the say-so about what is worn.

Suggestions for people to eat elsewhere have no bearing on what is acceptable.

Enjoy your cruise !!!

I respect your choice of attire and expect you to return the courtesy to me.

The buffet does not have all the same choices and that food sits out and dries up, we as a family go to dining room for fresher food and service, has nothing to do with what we or other people wear especially in the warm weather, no reason not for men to wear shorts and a nice shirt which is allowed and encouraged and should not affect any other people's dinner experience

But isn't this thread about Elegant nights? I didn't see anything about shorts being allowed anywhere? :confused:

Bill

I plan on wearing khakis and a button down, maybe a tie, on my cruise during formal nights. I'll be eating in the MDR. I could care less what anyone else thinks.

Hi

I had previous experience with carnival when they had " formal night" now it's called " elegant night" and honestly it looks to me that they are trying to lower the standards so you really have to wear a tie and suits

This is going to be my first time after the change, so I was wondering if you see less ties and suits during elegant night

I don't mind wearing my suits, I always had but if carnival is becoming less formal I like to go with the flow.

Thank you so much !!!!

The lower standards don't require a suit or tie.

I'd rather have a nice dinner with what some call a slob in their shorts than someone in a suit that is a jerk.

Can I vote neither?

Seems like a higher percentage of ties than 50% to me, but jackets are definitely less than 30%.

I like putting on the jacket and tie. You definitely won't feel out of place.

Archived