Trip Insurance

crookedhalo

Okay guys, I just checked on trip insurance for the S&SII trip. Only had like 30 or so to choose from. Can anyone help a poor lil cruiser with recommendations?

Thanking everyone in advance:)

Karen

Karen,

See if this thread can help you. It is a discussion about travel insurance that we had a couple of months ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=165187

I buy an annual policy for medical and skip the rest. Cancellation seems like the biggest part of the premium and I think my risk for that is low so I skip.

If booking with a cruise company that stood a chance of bankruptcy, I would purchase additional for that - but you have to do that within two weeks of booking, usually.

We've used Travel Guard, CSA, and Travelex Travel Lite Policy. The next cruise we selected Travel Safe, because it will cover an airline if it goes bankrupt. A lot of the other policies give you a list of all the airlines they won't cover in the event that they cease operations, and most of the ones we would use were on that list.

I've heard that one of the BIGGEST expenses is being airlifted back to the states in case of a medical emergency, so I personally look for the policy that pays well for that particular item. I guess it kind of depends on your age, state of health, etc. I picked thru insuremytrip.com also. :rolleyes:

Just a hint - you can save a few dollars by going directly to the insurance company to buy. I compared policies at insuremytrip.com then went directly to Travelex to make the purchase. I think I saved about $12.

I've heard that one of the BIGGEST expenses is being airlifted back to the states in case of a medical emergency, so I personally look for the policy that pays well for that particular item. I guess it kind of depends on your age, state of health, etc. I picked thru insuremytrip.com also. :rolleyes:

If you don't have insurance it can be very expensive. My policy covers up to 100K for medical evacuation and other stuff for about $120/yr.

My TA uses Travelex. I've sailed many times.....sometimes I purchased insurance, sometimes I didn't......until I had to use it. A couple years ago I ended up in the hospital with an abscessed appendix and we had to cancel our cruise. Filing the claim was easy and we received our refund very quickly. Luckily we had insurance because it was too late for a refund without it. We were booked with another couple who went without us, but they could have received a refund also since we weren't going. After this experience we'll never book without insurance again!

Archived