Breakaway Thoughts

figment9999

I’m finally getting around to sharing some thoughts from the inaugural Breakaway cruise 5/12. Much has been already posted in other strings so I’ll try to stay away from items discussed elsewhere, hope they’re useful.

Entering your cabin for the first time – the door opens outward and you must insert your sail away card in the reader mounted inside your cabin on the right side, and leave it there, to turn on the lights. Take out the card and the lights go off. This feature takes some getting used to and leads to many “where’s my card” moments over the next week; program yourself to laugh when they occur.

There are two supplemental Main Dining room venues on deck 6: Taste & Savor. They have the same menu as the MDR, just smaller and a different décor. A nice change and less busy than the MDR.

The ropes course is a hoot; I’m 65 so you can do it and walk the plank. There is an automated camera set up with the plank, check out the photo gallery before you do the course so you can see how not to look when it snaps your pix.

The waterslide area is impressive; do not let it go till the last sail day however. I did and it was closed for cleaning, 2 crew from 9 till well it never fully opened. I checked every few hours and was always told, come back in an hour. Bad management for a marque attraction, 2 crew-really, but it is what it is so don’t let it go till the last day, looks awesome.

The Ice Bar, a must do, lots of laughs with folks you never met before.

Cirque Dreams - a great experience; I had premium seats and was happy I did. Get there an hour early, folks showed up at all shows on the Breakaway absurdly early so just go with it.

Fireworks / dance party, don’t worry about the crowd, most will leave before the fireworks launch about a half hour after the party starts. Great show.

O Sheehan’s Bar / Grill is a great idea we used it often. They should add deserts to the menu after 12AM though.

Bermuda is a pretty island, do some homework before you go and it'll cut down on confusion there. Ferrys are a good choice to get to Hamilton or St George. We did a tour of St George thru NCL that was great. Spent an afternoon at Horseshoe Bay, very pretty; watch out for a deceptively strong sun, the tops of my feet got blistered. Make some time to visit the Bermuda Museum in the Dockyard, great place to see history. There's a brew pub in the dockyard, the frog & onion, excellent amber ale and large portions of good food. Around the corner is an Arts Center, local artist’s works, very well done and reasonable prices. We indulged in a two hour sail on the Spirit of Bermuda from the Dockyard and really enjoyed it.

Seven days on the Breakaway is just not enough time to see/do everything; NCL did a fabulous job.

So love the short, concise, just enough info review. I enjoy the very, very, very detailed review with pics but around page 56 when I still hadn't seen anything about the Blue Lagoon replacement or docking in Bermuda, etc, I gave up!

We had to cancel due to medical issues but we sure do hope to book the Breakaway in the future. Sounds wonderful and glad to know age is not a factor to enjoy the rope course and water slide.

thanks so much!

Thanks for the tips, very well presented.

How crowded was the MDR, Manhattan and how long were the waits between 6PM & 7PM.

If you get to the shows 30 minutes early is that generally enough to get a reasonable seat. Do they let you in early or do you have to stand in line.

It's my understanding all Cirque seats are "premium" now.

Thanks for the tips, very well presented.

How crowded was the MDR, Manhattan and how long were the waits between 6PM & 7PM.

If you get to the shows 30 minutes early is that generally enough to get a reasonable seat. Do they let you in early or do you have to stand in line.

It's my understanding all Cirque seats are "premium" now.

The MDR during sea days were pretty crowded around 7pm. 6pm wasn't THAT bad, but around 7-8p it got crowded. When I went to eat on the early side, I never had any issues (like 530, 6p ish), but on days when I went later, there was a wait. Luckily the buzzer they give you works anywhere on the ship!

I got to most shows around 15 minutes beforehand and it was on the late side in terms of getting great seats. I'd budget more time if I were you.

Not sure of all Cirque was premium, but I paid for the "premium" seat and got put in a table that was about one table back from the front table. Wasn't too bad but it wasn't up front.

The ropes course is a hoot; I’m 65 so you can do it and walk the plank. There is an automated camera set up with the plank, check out the photo gallery before you do the course so you can see how not to look when it snaps your pix.

I love this tip! :D Thanks for the review. We are getting very excited and already know it will go by far too fast.

PEG013 - We were in cabin 12790, a M3 Mini suite, very happy with the cabin.

No real issues w the balcony, I'd call it serviceable.

The ship never felt crowded, they have so many individual venues the folks are spread out

Yes, all three were exactly the same. (I was on the 5/26 sailing.)

Well someone should tell NCL. This is from their website:

The cuisine is traditional with a contemporary flair. You’ll find Savor aft on Deck Six, on the opposite side of another Main Dining Room, Taste. And although they’re located close together, these two distinct venues offer different menus and décor, providing guests more choices than ever before.

That is kind of a shame. What is the point of having both Savor and Taste, right next to each other, if there is no difference in menu? :rolleyes:

Yes, all three were exactly the same. (I was on the 5/26 sailing.)

I don't think they were exactly the same all the time, I believe on at least one night the menu was different for dinner there (Taste and Savor served the ribeye, but it wasn't offered in the Manhattan room that night ...) Can't remember which night, but there might be some discrepancy. You can easily check since they are one floor above the other. The menus are posted outside of the restaurants and Manhattan room is just one flight up from Taste and Savor at the aft of the boat. You can just doublecheck each day just to make sure when you're on the ship.

Usually, Manhattan and Taste (or the equivalent restaurants on other ships) serve different menus. For example, on the Epic, Taste has Rib Eye whilst Manhattan has New York Strip.

My memory from the Breakaway was that Taste and Savor had the same menu, but it was different in Manhattan. However, I could be wrong as I usually had things from the daily specials.

I would be surprised if they were all the same though.

Just a point on deserts at o'Sheehans. I have always been able to get deserts there on both the Breakaway and Epic at any time I've tried in the afternoon. Or do you mean after midnight (which I have never tried).

My quibble is just after midnite, O Sheehans doesn't hve deserts and the food court is closed. Really need a place to handle my sweet tooth

Usually, Manhattan and Taste (or the equivalent restaurants on other ships) serve different menus. For example, on the Epic, Taste has Rib Eye whilst Manhattan has New York Strip.

My memory from the Breakaway was that Taste and Savor had the same menu, but it was different in Manhattan. However, I could be wrong as I usually had things from the daily specials.

I would be surprised if they were all the same though.

When we were on the Breakaway all three had the same menu. The three just had a bit different look & feel; kind of nice actually

Archived