My First Review - Our adventures on the Breakaway

Sheba0514

I love that your whole review was in one post. It was so informative and just the info I needed for my trip in August.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Thanks for the kind words! Enjoy your cruise! :D

WOW great format for your review! Especially, since this is apparently your first review. Very informative, descriptive and interesting. Everything a review should be. Thank you! We are sailing aboard the Breakaway in September.

I'm in on the joke now, lol. We were lucky enough to meet your butler, but ours is named Roy.

And your fridge still doesn't work.....

I'm glad you were lucky enough to meet our butler. Lol!! :D:D. Roy seems really nice we met him a few years ago on the Gem he's always been pleasant.

I can't believe that fridge still doesn't work. SMH!!!:rolleyes:

Guest verymoodyone

Great review - thanks for taking the time. Do you recall what time you arrived at the terminal and when you were on the ship?

Great review - thanks for taking the time. Do you recall what time you arrived at the terminal and when you were on the ship?

Hi thanks for the kind words. We left the hotel at about 11 and got there around 11:20 or so with the traffic. We were on the ship within no more than 30 minutes of arriving.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I am just now catching up with other reviews, great review thanks for sharing. I think you did much more than I did, the more I read, the more I found of things that I missed out. I think it is very much like my Allure trip, you need more than one voyage to really experience the ship.

Excellent review! We sail in September, have never been to Bermuda, and I found your tips perfect. Thanks so much :)

WOW great format for your review! Especially, since this is apparently your first review. Very informative, descriptive and interesting. Everything a review should be. Thank you! We are sailing aboard the Breakaway in September.

Thanks! I'm glad that you enjoyed the review and found it helpful Enjoy your September cruises!! :D

I am just now catching up with other reviews, great review thanks for sharing. I think you did much more than I did, the more I read, the more I found of things that I missed out. I think it is very much like my Allure trip, you need more than one voyage to really experience the ship.

Gambee!! First of all thank you for all that you did on the Everything Breakaway thread. I'll miss lurking there and you're review has been a really great read. Wish I had that one before we sailed :D

Yes, we are going to need more than one sailing on the Breakaway, I feel like I missed so much. I think we may put her back into the rotation in the next two or so years. In the mean time, there are other ships to explore ;)

Oh and thanks for accepting my friend request on FB!

Denise

I had to read your review of your butler to DH. We were blessed with Lani on the Breakaway and agree she is the epitome of the perfect butler.

However we also sailed with your butler on our Panama Canal cruise in 2011. As others mentioned, he'll do anything if asked. I think the biggest thing with him is that he's very shy and quiet by nature.

Maybe it was spending two weeks with us on the PC cruise that brought him out of his shell, but every time he saw me in the Haven on the BA, he'd wave enthusiastically and greet me by name, with a big grin.

I'd be lucky to sail with either of them again. :D

Great review.

We were on same cruise, 5/26/13.

Pretty much same comments are you. Great ship concept, execution could be better. hated reservation system, hated overbooked specialty restaurants. We usually dine specialty only, bummer. couldn't make ocean blue, first told it was booked up, then told OK we'll fit you in - but bulked at $50/pp price. Cagneys fantastic, love new menu, Wagu burgers, awesome.

We did see a hotdog cart once! on the waterfront, not one person aroudn it. but didn't get hotdogs - now I'm regretting it!

We were in aft cabin, looking at the wake. Lots of noise from Spice H2O, cabin rocked till 1am every night. complained daily, then got moved to same aft space, just 4 decks down.

Fireworks show from an aft cabin was amazing! Perfect music sound, great fireworks. I'm still going through pictures, but was going to post in a few weeks.

we are sailing on Gem in 6 months - I really can't wait now, need to relax from this vacation! We're in a suite this time - same 2 bedroom we had before - great space for 2 people.

Edited by RareBird

Have to say that we found your review to be spot on. We too found it hard to have a romantic meal. We were looking forward to dinner at La Cucina on our last night. They sat us next to a loud table with a toddler in a high chair who shrieked endlessly with the family doing nothing about it. At Teppanyaki, we expected to be sat with others, but sort of figured they would seat us with other adults. Not the case. At least the toddler we were sat with there was well behaved.

Did you find that the bathroom got quite steamy? We were surprised there was no fan in there, and if there was one, it was well hidden or useless.

Our cabin host, Irenhea, was so attentive, and such a sweetheart. We tipped her way extra. I didn't know, however, what to do with our butler. He literally delivered cheese and crackers to us on maybe three days. We preferred that, and only that, everyday, but I guess he didn't understand. We never had a meal delivered to the room. Never ever used his services otherwise. We never even used the coffee maker. He was really superfluous to us, and while we didn't want to stiff him, we felt like "why are we tipping this person?" Same with the concierge. Our sole interactions with them were asking for a ferry schedule and asking them to check something on our bill the last morning. That was it. So again we didn't want to stiff them, but also made the mistake that they pool their tips and handed over some money to the assistant who checked our bill, assuming it would be split with Ruth. Wrong, I learned later. So sorry for stiffing Ruth (who, by the way, our neighbors referred to as Stiffler's Mom, which after they said it, I hate to admit, I saw it too).

We too found the lights from the phone and coffee maker bright. We also covered them with towels and I also slept with an eye mask.

We really enjoyed the Haven. Such a nice area. You really felt like you were on a cruise within a cruise there. The only complaint I had was that an especially large family pretty much claimed the pool area of the Haven as its own. One of the moms would come out at around 8am and put blue towels and books on as many of the chairs as she could. Then she or anyone wouldn't be in those chairs for two hours. Then the rest of the family would trickle in and come and go sometimes for an hour or two at a time, but never would they give up or share a chair, and there were about a dozen people in the family. They would take all the chairs around the pool and still save the chairs, even when they would move to the chairs that were in the pool (so essentially using two chairs per person). Other people would have loved to be downstairs in the Haven also, but these people were just inconsiderate.

That said, we really did have a nice cruise. Sorry for such a long post...pretty much to say that we agreed whole heartedly with your review!

Have to say that we found your review to be spot on. We too found it hard to have a romantic meal. We were looking forward to dinner at La Cucina on our last night. They sat us next to a loud table with a toddler in a high chair who shrieked endlessly with the family doing nothing about it. At Teppanyaki, we expected to be sat with others, but sort of figured they would seat us with other adults. Not the case. At least the toddler we were sat with there was well behaved.

Did you find that the bathroom got quite steamy? We were surprised there was no fan in there, and if there was one, it was well hidden or useless.

Our cabin host, Irenhea, was so attentive, and such a sweetheart. We tipped her way extra. I didn't know, however, what to do with our butler. He literally delivered cheese and crackers to us on maybe three days. We preferred that, and only that, everyday, but I guess he didn't understand. We never had a meal delivered to the room. Never ever used his services otherwise. We never even used the coffee maker. He was really superfluous to us, and while we didn't want to stiff him, we felt like "why are we tipping this person?" Same with the concierge. Our sole interactions with them were asking for a ferry schedule and asking them to check something on our bill the last morning. That was it. So again we didn't want to stiff them, but also made the mistake that they pool their tips and handed over some money to the assistant who checked our bill, assuming it would be split with Ruth. Wrong, I learned later. So sorry for stiffing Ruth (who, by the way, our neighbors referred to as Stiffler's Mom, which after they said it, I hate to admit, I saw it too).

We too found the lights from the phone and coffee maker bright. We also covered them with towels and I also slept with an eye mask.

We really enjoyed the Haven. Such a nice area. You really felt like you were on a cruise within a cruise there. The only complaint I had was that an especially large family pretty much claimed the pool area of the Haven as its own. One of the moms would come out at around 8am and put blue towels and books on as many of the chairs as she could. Then she or anyone wouldn't be in those chairs for two hours. Then the rest of the family would trickle in and come and go sometimes for an hour or two at a time, but never would they give up or share a chair, and there were about a dozen people in the family. They would take all the chairs around the pool and still save the chairs, even when they would move to the chairs that were in the pool (so essentially using two chairs per person). Other people would have loved to be downstairs in the Haven also, but these people were just inconsiderate.

That said, we really did have a nice cruise. Sorry for such a long post...pretty much to say that we agreed whole heartedly with your review!

Hi there,

I agree our shower did cause steam on some occasions and I don't recall seeing a fan either.

Well, you already know how I feel about our butler :rolleyes:

I didn't want to stiff him either but in the end we decided not to tip him. Nor did we tip the concierge. I like the option of having these folks around but didn't feel that anyone did much more than their job. In most cases they did it well but not tip worthy.

Sorry to hear about your dining experiences. And that thing with the chairs is completely unacceptable. I would have politely asked mama bear to move her stuff if I wanted to use the space. The stewards shouldn't have allowed that either. :eek:

In any event I'm glad to hear that on the whole you had a nice time :D

Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

• 7 months later...

What a great review. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. In June I will be cruising to Bermuda on the Breakaway. Can I bring aboard a case of water and is there a Lobster night on embarking day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums