QM2 loses all power for four minutes tonight

pepperrn

The worse thing we had on this voyage was when we were woken in the early hours of the morning to the emergency signal.

6 short blast followed by one long blast. Now I have worked at sea and I have cruised for over 30 years and I have never had this experience ever before . Only at life boat drill . It was very scary. It went off and at first you think is this for real? Then it went off again so I got up got into my warm clothes and then the Commodore came on the intercom. It was strange because in an emergency like this the microphone is linked to the signal and cannot be turned off.

So th mic was live all the time . We could hear what was happening. Then there was a muffling of sound you could hear people trying to kill the mic. Eventually we were told it was a false alarm, It was rather upsetting.

Next day the Commodore said someone allegedly had pressed a wrong button on the computer???????

He told us why the microphone was live and how they had used flags and a pillow to muffle the sound!!

All this happened on one world cruise but did it spoil our fun. No way!

I was on board during that incident, it was certainly surreal. I remember opening the cabin door and seeing other passengers open theirs and peer up and down the corridor. When a crew member came out of a crew area with an alarmed look on his face that was pretty scary.

Once the commodore told us it was a false alarm the situation turned quite hilarious as they couldn't figure out how to disable the microphone. Eventually I think they threw a cloth over it.

One thing's for sure, no one could ever sleep through that alarm, it could wake the dead.

Thank you maggiemou, for your report.

If there is a mechanical fault, that stops the ship, or causes the lifts to be inoperable, then I feel (rightly or wrongly ) that I need to be told.

The lack of knowledge is more scary than the knowing. Both a tornado and a hurricane can destroy your home, but with a hurricane, it is known , you can protect yourself .

Due to worn out body parts, I cannot climb stairs. Walking is not easy , which is why I never go ashore, even walking the length of the dock to get the bus requires a great deal of effort.

Using a lift to get from say deck 2 to deck 5 is essential so any interruption of service and I am definitely "inconvenienced", and after say an hour, would be "very concerned".

There are quite a few passengers like myself, we wish to "keep going" , but we know our limitations and know we have to to live within those , when the aids on which we depend are removed we tend to become "distressed".

Those younger and more active may sneer, but time erodes all things, and they too in their turn will become old and "creaky", and yes more easily "distressed".

Some that are older and less active may complain more (some seem to love to find fault with everything), but when push comes to shove they'll be wanting the assistance of younger people in the case of an emergency.

I suppose it just comes down to the individual; there are, for example, plenty of older people that wouldn't complain and make a big fuss because there was a power outage in the middle of the night which caused the lifts to be inoperable - whilst they unknowingly slept in their beds.

Nor would they complain if they weren't informed about it the next day. Unless of course they were keen to seek more OBC and an incident like this presents yet another opportunity to line up at the Purser's desk and lodge a complaint.

Oh dear Whitemarsh, you do seem to have a fixation, that anyone going to the Pursers Desk is complaining and trying to" con OBC/freebies" out of Cunard.

They could be booking transport for disembarkation, buying stamps to send postcards, even just checking the time , due to all the time zones.

You really must be "kinder" to your fellow passengers.

That wrinkly "old person" is probably someones great grand parent , (I have 5 great grand children) so dear boy do try to remember your own "granny", and be just a teeny bit less judgmental.

Oh dear Whitemarsh, you do seem to have a fixation, that anyone going to the Pursers Desk is complaining and trying to" con OBC/freebies" out of Cunard.

They could be booking transport for disembarkation, buying stamps to send postcards, even just checking the time , due to all the time zones.

You really must be "kinder" to your fellow passengers.

That wrinkly "old person" is probably someones great grand parent , (I have 5 great grand children) so dear boy do try to remember your own "granny", and be just a teeny bit less judgmental.

Dear Jimsgirl,

A fixation? I've mentioned the whingers OBC scam less often then you've written negative reviews. Transference much?

Being kind to fellow passengers would also include not draining the life force out of them by constantly carping, whinging and complaining. Wouldn't you agree?

I haven't used the description old person, so I don't know why you've used quotation marks. I know accuracy isn't important to some.......

My "granny" (correct use of quotation marks) would have loved the opportunity to sail on a Cunard ship. I'm sure she would have enjoyed every minute and her enjoyment would have been infectious. She wasn't judgemental at all, rarely complained and just got on with enjoying the moment. Such fun to be around.

Hey, I just gotta speak up for Jimsgirl - although she does quite well on her own!. My point is you may disagree with her viewpoint, but she is a wonderful lady! My cousin and I were sitting near the purser's desk on the QE prior to departure in March on our Panama Canal Voyage taking a break from finding our way around the ship. A lady came by, carrying her life vest, 3 hardback books -sort of looking like Miss Marple - we struck up a conversation, the lady pulled a chair over and I soon realized it was Lynn who I had hoped to meet at the cruise critic meeting. We became instant sailing friends, had lunch at the Verandah, afternoon tea, chatted most late afternoons in one of the bars. I loved to hear her accent - she has had a fascinating life and overcame many challenges thrown her way and of course, we told her our life stories. I remember asking her for advice on ordering off menu. Did we agree on everything? No, of course not, but she was wonderful friend on board -another example of the fascinating people one meets on Cunard ships and I hope our sailing paths cross again. Hey Lynn, I'm booked on the QM2 Christmas cruise.

Perhaps I'm going to be the only one to say this but here goes anyway so flame away..

I am definitely not amused ( nicest way of saying sick to death) of reading posts from both Whitemarsh and Louise D who seem to derive such pleasure from slating some of us other posters who in their opinions are always, in their view , "whining and whinging" .

Even if you had a valid reason to mention in a post as actually having been to guest relations on board the ship you seem to be condemned as trying to get something out of Cunard you were not entitled to, or if you noted a change you considered a small loss of amenity ...you are maligning Cunard with no good reason .

It may be amusing for many , and I have to say I have been surprised that some of the long serving posters whose contributions are usually pretty smart, seem to be IMO almost joining on the "why not be cruel to someone today" bandwagon .

Constant baiting of particular posters is not something I want to be part of on this forum and if I believed someone was constantly "whining and whinging" without good reason and I disbelieved everything they offered in their posts , I would ignore their posts and save myself effort and /or frustration , and quickly realise it is not my job to fight Cunard's battles for them ..otherwise it will be a full time occupation as seems to be becoming the case for Whitemarsh and LouiseD.

Posters can read for themselves, and make their own judgements without the need of constant sarcastic posts which are supposed to be amusing but are failing to do the business for me anyway.

I have in the recent past been on the receiving end of sarcastic responses myself from Whitemarsh , who I'm sure will recall our discussions when I dared to support a comment made by another CC member reviewing her cruise who had noted (as I had myself) that "toast was now being very thinly sliced" , as if that was such a dreadful and terrible thing to report..or as Whitemarsh described it "whine about"....

My Oxford dictionary offers the meaning of whining as "complain in a querulous manner "

Whinge is given as "grumbling peevishly" but of course it would be such a wheeze for Whitemarsh and LouiseD to be able to label people who dare to mention (even in a jocular fashion) changes they have noticed , as being constant "whiners and whingers "even if the term isn't really appropriate . It looks awfully smart though!

Both Whitemarsh and Louise D IMO are becoming what they complain about ....constant whiners and whingers themselves ! However the subject of their constant whining and whinging is those posters with different views to themselves.

The amusement they obviously derive from making others the subject of their "fun" is IMO quite telling!

Well said, l w h. Hear! Hear! One of these days I'll get around to posting my pix proof of how much the size of the bedtime chocolates on QM2 has been reduced. No doubt that will make me a whiner too. I'll be in good company.

Well said, l w h. Hear! Hear! One of these days I'll get around to posting my pix proof of how much the size of the bedtime chocolates on QM2 has been reduced. No doubt that will make me a whiner too. I'll be in good company.

I already have that photo taken by myself but was afraid to upload it because of the derision I would be subjected to.

I don't actually eat the chocolates myself BTW...I save them for our grandchildren who love to get some when they visit .There is quite a significant difference for those who can remember the old size! I'm a whiner!

Partial quote

...the amusement they obviously derive from making others the subject of their "fun" is imo quite telling!

Yes, it is. But there is little hope that they will see it. Sad, really. -S.

WARNING

Certain recent posts appear to be propounding the view that I am working on a full-time basis promoting the interests of Cunard. I would like it to be known that this is not the case and I have no associations or affiliations with Cunard whatsoever.

Certain recent posts appear to be suggesting that I have, and will continue to malign, defame or otherwise denigrate identified members of this Board. Read my posts on this thread carefully, and also those in relation to the related thread started by Austcruiser84. Contrary to statements made on this thread, I have not mentioned the names of any members of this Board as malcontents, whiners or whingers.

I do not mind entering into robust debate or criticism with other posters, but if they wish to do so, they need to get their facts right.

Archived