Oceania Riviera which Port in Istanbul July 25th 2013

pandstu

There are two cruise terminals in Istanbul called Karakoy . One is referred to Sultanahmet the other European side. Which of the two terminals does the Oceania Riviera arrive at on July 25th 2013

If the port stretches for 1.5 miles presumably we ask the taxi to come to the Oceania Riviera to collect us?

The wharf is a no auto zone, but there are exits to the street every few blocks.

14721192-istanbul--july-31-cruise-ship-terminals-on-july-31-2012-in-istanbul-the-docks-for-cruise-ships-exten.jpg

You may, however, be required to pass through Customs and/or Immigration in the Main Terminal Building, so it is best not to be too specific about pick-ups until that has been established.

yolcu_salonu8923.jpg

Getting a taxi at this port can be a little tricky. I had to go through security and wave a taxi on a busy four lane street. There are many taxis to be found, but with luggage in tow it can be a challenge. The people that work at the port were little to no help. Another reminder to pack light.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We want to pre book the taxi, which is why we have the challenge of where to meet the taxi so that we don't miss each other and don't have to go too far with our luggage

If you prebook, the taxi will only go to the entrance of the main terminal buildings, as the other exits to the street may or may not be open to passenger traffic.

I understand your concerns, but like so much of Europe, the Istanbul Terminal was not built with concerns about walking in mind. You'll just have to bite the bullet and "Think of England". ;)

istanbul_return_cruise_terminal_empty_interior_325_ea073358.jpg

Unless the amount of luggage that you travel with requires a larger than normal car (European Taxis are smaller than ours), I would suggest simply hailing a cab, as they are omnipresent, and the layout of the entrance to the port makes it impossible for a car to wait.

We disembarked in Istanbul from our 2011 cruise after an overnight there. I arranged for Backpackers Travel to pick us up and take us to Ataturk airport at 5:30 am. They were waiting with a sign for us where we claimed our baggage and the car was parked just outside the terminal building where the excursion buses had been the day before. Very easy. I would suggest a prearranged transfer to hailing a cab, but that is my preference.

Charlotte

We disembarked in Istanbul from our 2011 cruise after an overnight there. I arranged for Backpackers Travel to pick us up and take us to Ataturk airport at 5:30 am. They were waiting with a sign for us where we claimed our baggage and the car was parked just outside the terminal building where the excursion buses had been the day before. Very easy. I would suggest a prearranged transfer to hailing a cab, but that is my preference.

Charlotte

We booked with Backpackers Travel and they didn't show up! Word to the wise.

Sent an email when I got home and they said traffic was bad. We waited a good 45 minutes to an hour after they were suppose to pick us up before we went and got a taxi. Problem was we hadn't saved extra Turkish lira for the trip in a cab and we had a difficult time getting one to take us for the money we had.

Cenia

Tuesday morning, July 23rd 2013 we arriving in Istanbul for two nights. Can any previous Istanbul traveler suggest a driver/guide. We understand we will need a reservation as well as pre-arranged ticketd to see Topkapi Palace. Also, we want to see the Chora Museum, and the Grand Bazaar, and maybe the Spice Market, if there's time on the 24th.

We are looking for a professional guide with a car or to join a small group.

Tuesday morning, July 23rd 2013 we arriving in Istanbul for two nights. Can any previous Istanbul traveler suggest a driver/guide. We understand we will need a reservation as well as pre-arranged ticketd to see Topkapi Palace. Also, we want to see the Chora Museum, and the Grand Bazaar, and maybe the Spice Market, if there's time on the 24th.

FYI, a month ahead is REALLY pushing it, as many people reserve these guides at a year or eighteen months out, but then again, luck could be on your side.

We always use Levent Solmaz for Istanbul, Ephesus, and the Turkish Riviera in general:

http://leventsolmaz.com/meet-levent-solmaz/

If he can't take you personally, ask for a referral, it seems that Levent knows every guide in Turkey.

Safe Travels

All of those are easy to see on your own. We booked a walking tour including the Galata Tower, Tunel tram, and Bosphorus cruise (actually on the ferry) with backpackers.

It wasn't worth it. 90 minutes was taken up picking people up from various hotels in a van. At the end, we fled the van and took the tram back to our ship. traffic is very bad in the old city.

Archived