Monkey & Wildlife Nature Cruise on Gatun Lake

dr alaok

Will be cruising the Panama Canal with Princess in February, 2014. Had decided on the Monkey and Wildlife Cruise on Gatun Lake until I read on Trip Advisor that most of the monkey's are gone from Monkey Island. First of all is this true? Secondly if it is true is it still a good excursion? And third are there any private excursions we could take that would show us monkeys and wildlife.

I'd Google Captain Carl Davis who did the original boat tours of Gatun with lots of monkey's along the way, then visiting his houseboat. Monkey troops tend to move around and people, lots of people, tend to encourage them to move elsewhere (Wouldn't you if you were a monkey?) I think he's tied in with something called Coconut Lodge that advertises a "Monkey Island" tour. There are loads of islands and inlets on Gatun Lake and loads of monkeys. There isn't just one island and one place where you can see monkeys. Davis' original tour, which used to be sold through the cruise lines, was great, but I think he wanted a bigger cut of the pie than the cruise lines and their affiliated big tour companies were offering.

Regards, Richard

• 4 weeks later...
I'd Google Captain Carl Davis who did the original boat tours of Gatun with lots of monkey's along the way, then visiting his houseboat. Monkey troops tend to move around and people, lots of people, tend to encourage them to move elsewhere (Wouldn't you if you were a monkey?) I think he's tied in with something called Coconut Lodge that advertises a "Monkey Island" tour. There are loads of islands and inlets on Gatun Lake and loads of monkeys. There isn't just one island and one place where you can see monkeys. Davis' original tour, which used to be sold through the cruise lines, was great, but I think he wanted a bigger cut of the pie than the cruise lines and their affiliated big tour companies were offering.

Regards, Richard

We're going in November and were also interested in this excursion through the cruise line. As we're worried about missing the ship.

So is that a yes or no to the Monkey Island tour??

Archived