The Pacific in Dec & other questions

Gabrielle R.

I am thinking of taking a Christmas Cruise aboard the Mercury. How did you like the Mercury? I've sailed on the Horizon in 01 and we liked that. Just the husband and I are on this cruise. Also I have a few questions for anyone out there about the Mexican Rivera Cruise. 1) How is the weather? Is it cold/cool leaving CA? 2) How were the seas compared to the Caribbean during this time? 3) How far is the airport to the port? I am looking at flights and wonder how hard it is to get a cab from the port to airport. Average cost, traffic, etc. Thanks for any advice!

Did the same cruise in January. Loved the ships it's one of my favorites. The weather leaving San Diego was chilly, mid 60s, as well as the first day at sea, warm enough for swimsuits but don't go swimming.

Being open ocean you get a little more movement of the ship more so heading North than South. You can see the airport from the ship. A five minute cab ride. Maybe $10

We did Mexican Riviera on Mercury, Mar 04, out of San Francisco.

Ship nice - weather in NorCA always iffy Dec or Mar, but warms up as you head south. Usually by the time you get to Mexico, weather nice and warm.

Re water - sea conditions always a "crap shoot", but generally, smoother Southbound, bumpier Northbound. Japanese Current flows South along CA's coast, so going down with the current, coming North fighting the current.

Being a So Calif girl for over 40s (no more) I can tell you Christmas the weather will be a bit nippy and perhaps foggy until you get south of Cabo. I don't know if you are embarking in San Diego or LA, if San Diego the airport and pier will not be far apart at all, if from LA is will be a little different. You may want to share a taxi with another couple. Chessbriar answered your question about rocking and rolling; yes, the pacific is rougher waters than the Caribbean or east coast, but still it's a great experience. Happy cruisin,

NMNita

I did the Mexican Rivera on the Fairsea 25 years ago at Christmas and on the Mercury last year at Thanks Giving.

Weather was warm except first and last days. Ports were all warm enough to swim at beaches. I did the Stattendam Carribean 26 years ago at Christmas. The weather was actually a little better on the Riviera than the Carribean. But I think it is just a crap shoot as too which area has better weather. So I would say that for weather and seas it is pretty comparable.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Mexican Riviera Cruise. The Mercury is a great ship, and I think you'll have a lot of fun!!!

:) Thank YOu for all of your advice! Now I will talk to my husband to see what he wants to do. It's our anniversary present to each other. I do the reserach and I have my top picks, then I let him choose. :D Of course I number in order of what I like best. THe Mercury is now my #1 choice. Gabrielle

Hi Gabrielle,

I do the Mexican Riviera cruises every year at Christmas and/or New Years and the weather is usually hot in Mexico. The first couple days can be cool until you get to Cabo. Last year was the exception, it was cooler but we were having horrible weather on the west coast for months.

You will love the Mercury - I will be on this cruise with my daughter.

ann

Archived