"Mystery Worshipper" review of Sunday service on QM2

buckirj1

No, it IS an Ecumenical Service since "Ecumenical" implies "Christian". From vocabulary.com: "...the term is most widely connected with religious unity, specifically Christianity."

Looks like we are using different dictionaries :) Definition from Merriam-Webster:

1: worldwide or general in extent, influence, or application

But I understand what you're saying - in the future, I'll use the term 'Interfaith Services' when referring to Services that include different religions. Thanks for the correction. -S

Salacia, you neglected to give definition 2B from your same dictionary: 2b : promoting or tending toward worldwide Christian unity or cooperation ;).

Yes. I usually go with the first definition as that is the preferred definition, not that the subsequent definitions aren't valid, just that they aren't first :) Actually, the word has several meanings:

ec·u·men·i·cal

adjective 1. general; universal.

2. pertaining to the whole Christian church.

3. promoting or fostering Christian unity throughout the world.

4. of or pertaining to a movement (ecumenical movement) especially among Protestant groups since the 1800s, aimed at achieving universal Christian unity and church union through international interdenominational organizations that cooperate on matters of mutual concern.

5. interreligious or interdenominational: an ecumenical marriage.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ecumenical

Please accept what I wrote earlier - I see your point (even if you don't see mine :)) -S.

Archived