BookSafe Travel Protection or 3rd party travel insurance?

niskyne

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't going to read this thread since I am familiar with, and use, Travel Guard. Glad, I did because I didn't know about their policy. Guess it's wise to wait until just before final payment, unless you have a preexisting condition, of course.

This brings up a point that probably most people never think about. I had a similar situation with a TA who contracted with TG. It was offered at a discounted rate, so I took it. I knew what the TA's cancellation policy was, but I never thought to ask what the cancellation policy was for the insurance.

We ended up canceling the cruise, many months prior to final payment, and I was surprised to learn that TG would not refund the premium, but instead would apply it as a credit toward a rebooked or new cruise. Luckily, we eventually rebooked a cruise ( with another TA ), but then I had to contact TG directly, get a quote and then have them apply the credit. We could perhaps at that time have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, but TG had our money, so we had to go with them.

So, it is not always as easy as a simple refund to your CC. Be sure to ask what a 100% refund means. It could be in the form of a credit.

Geezercouple the reason I put it in red was to clarify that I was NOT making a general statement across the board for all policies with all insurance companies. I did not want there to be any confusion that I was speaking about all policies in general. Apparently I made it more confusing. Sorry about that!

I was only relaying information that was given to me for MY particular policy with the third party insurance company that I was using. The information that I provided was copied directly from my policy. This information was helpful to me and I thought it might be helpful to others considering travel insurance. This is the first trip that I have actually had to be concerned with the illness of a family member at home since my father is terminally ill. I generally wait until final deposit to purchase insurance. I am glad I looked into it further for this particular trip.

We have started using Allianz because they were the one readily available as an add on when I purchased a plane ticket years ago, and they cover from the moment you get on the plane until you land again at home. When we went on a cruise from New York I called them when I booked the cruise then later to adjust for the added expenses, and dates of, flight and hotel as we were in NY a week first...

Next month we are doing a land based vaca to St. Maarten. When I booked my 83 year old mother's flight I had her call them the next day to make sure she had cancel for any reason coverage. Even now she is undecided as her back is hurting very badly. She is trying a nerve block this week. If it works she is going but if not she's cancelling.

However we plan on still going regardless.

So far, we have never had to make a claim. More important, to me, than saving a few dollars here or there, would be the ease of making a claim and them actually paying. I would be interested to know if anyone has first hand experience.

Right now I am fighting a furniture warranty claim with a company not in my state. It is frustrating. They are NOT honoring their policy or their stated policy of "good customer service" so am a bit wary about any of these policies...

I was told by a Travelguard representative that pre existing conditions DOES apply to immediate family members not traveling with you. I think that varies with different insurance companies.

My sister booked a cruise for March. She just tried to purchase trip insurance, as our mom was just diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, and the rep said that if she had to cancel due to our mom, it would not be covered, since treatment has already started.

My sister booked a cruise for March. She just tried to purchase trip insurance, as our mom was just diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, and the rep said that if she had to cancel due to our mom, it would not be covered, since treatment has already started.

Probably because preexisting conditions are usually only covered if insurance is purchased within a certain time frame..usually within 2 weeks of cruise deposit. (hoping your mom gets well soon )