Suggestions on Best Inside Passage itinerary

MikeACY

Because of airfare cost out of New Jersey to the west, we have decided to take one of the 7 crusies that depart and arrive at the same port. It looks like the north bound/south bounds start and end at different ports.

(Am I right?) Therefore we are looking for one of the inside passage cruises. Any suggestions on the best itinerary??? things that we shouldn't miss??

Any suggestions would be apprecitated. We plan on going in June or July 2014

The one ways do require using two airports, unless you want to consider picking up a late booked, deeply discounted back to back.

With your airfare, round trip Seattle many times is the cheapest. However, you then have transfer costs to Vancouver and an overnight. Also compare costs for a multi city booking option with Anchorage and Seattle/Vancouver. It may not be a significant difference, overall. But I recommend always adding several days for mainland touring take advantage of being there. :)

With a round trip 7 day cruise, the most scenic are out of Vancouver. HAL has some very nice itineraries. BUT, be advised those with the Tracy Arm "service call" will require a ship excursion which is a couple hundred dollars per person, and "necessary" in my opinion.

With the itineraries, be certain to research each port and be sure you have included your ports of interest. Each is very worthwhile and different from the other- it isn't the Caribbean. :) Look at glacier, time in ports etc. THEN decide. Budget fully for tours, you get only half a trip without them.

I would say to go from Vancouver. It is typically somewhat a better itinerary than from Seattle.

But I would fly to Vancouver, rather than to try to hoof it out of Seattle.

I frequently fly into Seattle. The savings can be considerable which would be of interest to this OP. It isn't difficult to get between the two cities.

Key is to keep checking flight prices and get on some email alerts for pricing. My DD found Vancouver flights to be $100 cheaper pp to Vancouver than to Seattle this year from DTW. That has never been the case whenever I have checked in the past. So, you just don't know what you will find until you check and then keep checking. I recently read that it is not a good idea to book too far ahead. It used to be, but lately better fares are being found closer to travel dates. Decide what a fair price is for your flights and when you find something close to that price, book and don't look back. Good luck with your planning!!

Are there some ports that aren't desirable?

Which are the "Must see" ports???

The ports you choose should be the ones that have things you want to see or do! There aren't an "undesirable" ports, just ones that may be of more or less interest to you.

The most common ports are Juneau, Ketchikan and either Skagway or Sitka. Some go to Icy Strait Point/Hoonah. Round-trip Seattle cruises all stop in a Canadian port, almost always Victoria.

Thanks

Mike

All ports have something to offer. What one person considers a favorite, others might say they found nothing that interested them. It is key that you study each port. Look at an excursion list for each port. This will give you an idea of what you can do in each port. Eventually you will be drawn to some ports over others. Most of the itineraries include Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. Some go to Haines instead of Skagway. Other itineraries include Icy Strait. This is one port with lots of mixed opinions. Some love it because it is a more "authentic" Alaskan city. Others will say there was nothing to do there. Some HAL itineraries out of Seattle include Sitka. No matter which ports you go to, it is imperative that you do your homework and get the most you can out of each port. On my last 14 day AK cruise, I met people who did no pre-planning and ended up being disappointed in ports where they just walked around. In Alaska you really need to plan excursions to make the most out of your time there. JMHO

You could also go to the library and pick up a Fodor's or Frommer's Alaska book to help you learn what the ports have to offer.

This website might be helpful. Look for Alaska Ports and then click on the individual ports. There is lots to be learned here:

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/

You can also google each port name and you will find lots of info.

Thanks

Mike

This isn't the Caribbean, where, in my opinion, there usually is a crappy port included. :)

There are only 6 possible Alaska ports included on regular 7 day major cruiseline itineraries. I suggest you find out about each one, and what activities the port is known for. List the priorities then find a cruise that offers the best selection.

Archived