cave tubing questions

fishoutofwater

I have two questions about cave tubing. First one is: I am a plus size person and I want to know how hard this would be? We really want to do this and I am trying to lose a little weight before we go but I know I will still be plus size when we go. The next question is How hard is it to keep up with your kids while tubing? They are 11 and 16 but the 16 year old is kind-of clingy when it comes to stuff like this, and wants to know if or how hard it will be to stay together?

Hi Fishoutofwater!

You've come to the right place! I also am a plus size gal, so feel free to read my (yes, pretty long!) thread about my cave tubing experience (below)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=174485

As far as the kids, I cant help there, but 11 and 16, I honestly think they will have a great time! For the "bit clingy" one, for part of the tour, you hook up the tubes via your feet, so he will feel more secure during those times. Other than that, give them a job, that might make them feel better, let them be your "pusher" for when it gets shallow and we "plus size gals" slow down a bit, they can help drag us over the low rocks! :) I had my sister be my pusher, worked great! :)

Hola fish,

Don't worry too much about being plus size. I'm leaning towards chunky, myself. In fact, a lot of the people on our trip were, uh, healthy. The only person that had a problem was a clausterphobic. (Did I spell that right? Too late now, I'm not going to look it up.) Just be sure to wear a T-shirt, take sunscreen and bug spray, oh yeah, water shoes or old sneakers that are comfortable and several underwater disposable cameras. Make sure that you get a tour that stops at Amigos for lunch. That chicken is pretty good stuff.

I wish that I could go with you.

fishoutofwater,

We took our kids 12(son) and 15(daughter) on the cave tubing and this was their favorite excursion. We did the Stingray in the Caymans and our son this - didn't like all the stingrays swimming around him so he was a little apprehensive about the cave tubing but the guide was great and he put us at the front with him. I hooked my legs under my daughter's tube and we stayed connected through the whole trip. I am also a plus size and the only problem I had was my butt hit in the low section - not to hard! Enjoy it your kids will love it.

Any more questions let me know!

Andrea

clsee - Wow! You are leaving soon! :) Have fun!

As far as taking pictures of items underwater, I cant really think of anything. But, an underwater camera is the only type that is waterproof and able to be taken with you into the water.

For women-wear, just whatever you will be most comfortable in. Some girls out my trip wore bikini tops and bottoms, others work one piece swim suits, others wore swimsuit with board shorts, and another just a Tank top coverup. Basically whatever you will be comfortable in, both on the walk AND in the water.

As far as swimming, our group didnt do much actual "swimming" expect at the beginning, where we all got into the water and were encouraged to swim around a bit, get used to the water, etc.

-Jill

Questions - What do you take pictures of under the water? What is the best way to dress for the ladies? Anywhere to really get out to swim? Thanks!

We all wore our swimsuits and we had t-shirts on so you don't rub against the tube. There was a changing area for us so we had dry clothes along to change back into when we were done tubing!

As far as keeping with the children, our tour was with Timmy, one of Yhony's guides, and we had a 7 year old boy - Timmy kept his tube linked with the boy's and took care of him the entire time - you can link yours with your children, too - it is never wild or difficult! They can be as independent as you like.

We went with Yhony in June- We were "attached" to each other the full time- Yhony paid special attention to my youngest- and also to me- the only female! We were only 5 (my family)- when I reserved I specifically asked for him to be our guide-

Good luck- have fun- I'm envious!!

Archived