Cunard Formal Nights

LoeyCruiser

Was it this one?

"And"

I must admit that I thought it was a little bit substandard. Can't think how it made it past my rigorous quality control procedures!

J

That's the one - but in retrospect I was being overly harsh, it deserves to be there.

Has this thread drifted enough yet?

Still, could be worse - someone just invoked Godwin's Law on the HAL board over their new wine policy :rolleyes:

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

That's the one - but in retrospect I was being overly harsh, it deserves to be there.

Has this thread drifted enough yet?

Still, could be worse - someone just invoked Godwin's Law on the HAL board over their new wine policy :rolleyes:

Well, to be strictly fair it has, for a dress code thread, begun its descent into dread thrift rather earlier than usual.

We have not yet discussed, inter alia:

self tied versus pre tied

wing collar versus regular collar

marcella front versus pleated front

patent leather pumps versus elastic sided boots

waistcoat versus cummerbund

black versus white DJ

I could go on but you probably see where I'm coming from.

J

Well, to be strictly fair it has, for a dress code thread, begun its descent into dread thrift rather earlier than usual.

self tied versus pre tied

wing collar versus regular collar

marcella front versus pleated front

patent leather pumps versus elastic sided boots

waistcoat versus cummerbund

black versus white DJ

I could go on but you probably see where I'm coming from.

J

Oooh, I've just bought some elastic sided boots - does this mean I can wear them on formal night? Hadn't even considered that

Oooh, I've just bought some elastic sided boots - does this mean I can wear them on formal night? Hadn't even considered that

Certainly! It's no stretch to say the elastic look is a classic -very snappy!

I disagree with one of the 'and's' - but agree with the rest
Sorry, mea culpa.

Being as I was dragged up in the west-country like, I've got English as a foreign language :) , plus I was out of school the morning they taught grammar ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sent from my computer using a keyboard :rolleyes: . Best wishes :) .

No need to discuss, already settled. Let me refresh your memory:

self tied versus pre tied Self, adults; pre-tied, toddlers.

wing collar versus regular collar Wing for white tie, regular for black tie.

marcella front versus pleated front Strictly personal choice.

patent leather pumps versus elastic sided boots What is an elastic sided boot? The classiest formal boots I ever saw were worn by a lieutenant colonel of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and they had spurs.

waistcoat versus cummerbund Waistcoat with notch collars, cummerbund with shawl collars.

black versus white DJ Black, no saxophone; white, with saxophone.

Actually, I think it's "years and years of harmless hilarity..."

J

years and years of harmless hilarity....fashion shows...and a nit-pick here and nit-pick there by those who feel dress code threads are so pass'e.

A cup of coffee and reading a Cunard dress code thread....great fun!:)

"Sent from my computer using a keyboard"...pepper

:D:D:D Still in the 'dark ages', eh?

best regards,

seasidegal

Sent from my computer using a keyboard :rolleyes: . Best wishes :) .

Yes, the curse of modern technology has struck - it took me about a month to figure out how to turn the signature thing off on my Kindle - now I've started using an iPad as well it has synced all of them together and turned the ****** Kindle signature back on again just for good measure (unsmiley face cos I can't find an emoticon on this iPad either!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:D:D:D Still in the 'dark ages', eh?
I am not! How very dare you (:)) .

After covering all the available cave walls, we stopped carving stone tablets in junior school, and moved to wax & clay.

By time I reached senior school we'd learnt to use up-to-date new-fangled papyrus, thank you.

I'm very modern, using vellum/parchment everyday, as a matter of course.

"Dark ages" indeed... hurumph!

Any day now I will take delivery of my very first i-quill. So there :p .

partial quote

...Any day now I will take delivery of my very first i-quill. So there :p .

Pepper, you have an i-quill on order? Wow, you are on the cutting edge of technology - I thought that was still in Beta!!!

Never mind the boots, Cruachan has elastic sided trousers. So he could conceivably eat 4 breakfasts - at a stretch.

G.

Speaking of the Cunard Line, I just watched this video report about Cunard ships role in history which I found very interesting. Perhaps others migh enjoy the vintage film?, see http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2013-07-25/cunards-losses/

Seems to me it's not about heels, it's all about soul to quote Billy Joel

S.

Thanks for the inclusion of the videos !

I recall you got a fair bit of flack on this Board when you reported what you had done. There is a fine line between acting from time to time to maintain standards, and just being continually boorish and overbearing about dress code issues.

I had no problems with what you did in 2008, but I did have issues with the way that some on board the QE2 used to carry on about the dress code in a way that made me and others most uncomfortable.

The worst of this was that I suspected that the dress code enforcers were just putting on an act in order to appear important and thus impress other QG passengers.

Yes,I got some flack for that. Oh well.. I guess you had to be there to see it. On our first trip in 2004(QM2's maiden year)we travelled with a large group(about 45)called the "Cruizen Cousins".The name says it all. We weren't related, just good friends with one of the couples. Our friend's elderly uncle was at our table. He basically had 2 sport coats & 2 ties for the whole 10 day voyage. He definately stood out on formal night, but was well dressed enough to pass muster as they say. That voyage really had pax dressed to the nines,probably due to the maiden US voyage.

Having just disembarked from a cruise yesterday, I can safely say that if you were wearing a cocktail dress you would be perfectly fine. The new dress code/ dress code doesn't seem to be being enforced anymore since I saw many people in the dining room without jackets but with jeans and trainers on during formal nights.

Having just disembarked from a cruise yesterday, I can safely say that if you were wearing a cocktail dress you would be perfectly fine. The new dress code/ dress code doesn't seem to be being enforced anymore since I saw many people in the dining room without jackets but with jeans and trainers on during formal nights.
Hi lifeatsea1,

Welcome to the Cunard board. I hope you had a great cruise :) .

May I ask which ship you were on, and where had you visited on your cruise? Did everything go well? I do hope so.

Thanks in advance for your answer, please excuse me being nosy!

Best wishes,

This does seem to be the unfortunate trend, judging from the most recent blog.

...The new dress code/ dress code doesn't seem to be being enforced anymore since I saw many people in the dining room without jackets but with jeans and trainers on during formal nights.

Just finished a 21-day QM2 voyage and that's exactly what has happened. What used to barely pass as "semi-formal" now qualifies as formal. Women by far were the worst offenders. By failing to enforce the formal evening dress code as promised formal wear is de facto optional.

Going on this crossing and have my suits and tux ready. I do hope people dress up. Are there certain types of voyages people aree less likely to dress? Are TAs more or less likely? Any difference at all?

Usually the TA trips are more formal. We always did Caribbean trips(late fall & winter only time Richard & I can take off)The Caribbean trips tend to be more casual. Probably due to the warmer days on board. Most of the time the pax follow the dresscodes pretty well, but judging from some recent comments, it really seems to be slipping.

Just finished a 21-day QM2 voyage and that's exactly what has happened. What used to barely pass as "semi-formal" now qualifies as formal. Women by far were the worst offenders. By failing to enforce the formal evening dress code as promised formal wear is de facto optional.
We were on the same cruise, I think, but we saw far fewer offenders than you did. About half of the gentlemen wore ties on the informal nights, and many treated the two informals between the second and third formal nights as if they were last year's semi-formals. Granted we were in the Grills (you know, mostly old folks only dimly aware that the code was changed), but I saw a fair number of tie wearers in Kings Court too. And most satisfying to see were the nicely dressed teens, three young couples promenading one evening on Deck 7 for example. The guys wearing ties and jackets and looking like they were no strangers to dressing nice.

We were on the same cruise, I think, but we saw far fewer offenders than you did. About half of the gentlemen wore ties on the informal nights, and many treated the two informals between the second and third formal nights as if they were last year's semi-formals. Granted we were in the Grills (you know, mostly old folks only dimly aware that the code was changed), but I saw a fair number of tie wearers in Kings Court too. And most satisfying to see were the nicely dressed teens, three young couples promenading one evening on Deck 7 for example. The guys wearing ties and jackets and looking like they were no strangers to dressing nice.

Perhaps I'm a "the glass is half empty" person. While I did see people dressed nicely the adherence to the dress code seemed to be followed according to class. Passengers entering the QG restaurant were all elegant. Those in the PG - where I was - mostly adhered to the standard but there were a number of "offenders". Two specific examples: A maroon wool sweater on the second formal night. Nicely office casual but hardly qualifies as formal wear. Second, cotton white capri pants with a polyester leopard print top. OK for "elegant casual" on embarkation night but not on the last formal night. Formality was not enforced and in the Grills it certainly should be. One would think they anybody who achieved a sufficient level of success to afford premium accommodations would have risen to that level knowing how one should dress for specific occasions.

Our Maitre'd, Stanley Williams, wore a tail coat on formal night. He was a very attentive and spent much of the evening in the restaurant so this could not have escaped his notice. I'm presuming the word went out that passengers should not be turned away if onyone decided that "formal wear" was just an optional suggestion.

. One would think they anybody who achieved a sufficient level of success to afford premium accommodations would have risen to that level knowing how one should dress for specific occasions.

Possibly in days gone by. There are so many ways to afford " premium accommodations " nowadays that have nothing to do with " a sufficient level of success "

And I suspect there are passengers dining happily in the MD who could buy and sell many in the Grills.

David.

Archived